1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Horsepower and Pferdestärken

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Gregory TheGamer, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Gregory TheGamer

Gregory TheGamer
    Expand Collapse

Hey devs,

Just a minor 'setback' I noticed and I think should be fixed. Whenever you are using Horsepower for reading the amount of power an engine produces, it shows PS, which is German for HP (English = Horsepower, German = Pferdestärken). I do understand as to why that is as BeamNG is based in Bremen, Germany.

Also, another note, HP, and PS are two different measurements of power. For example, a 1970 Dodge Charger R/T 440 4bbl Magnum has 375 HP, but 380 PS. PS is the metric horsepower, while HP is the older imperial horsepower. One imperial horsepower is equivalent to a horse moving 33,000 pounds of mass one foot in one minute.The official engineering standard for metric horsepower is the amount of power needed to lift a 75kg of mass one meter vertically in one second, which – once the conversions from imperial to metric are applied – equates to a 1.4% higher figure than the old imperial units.

I think PS would have been fine for the German translation of the game, but not the English translation. It could potentially confuse non-German speaking or understanding people around the globe as they do not know what PS is.

I just thought I should let you know.

Cheers,
    Gregory U.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Yea you need to use BHP if you want the imperial version :)

3. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Then why in "Imperial" is set it still uses Nm and when you go to "Metric" it uses Ft Lbs or Lbs Ft (I cant remember which way round it goes) thats a bug in the system if I saw one (I am only saying okay)

4. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Hm, are you sure about that? Seems to work fine here, maybe something is broken in your game?

5. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I adjusted a few values in the Engine debug to clean it up a little but that was about it, I can do a parity check on it to remove my "modifications"

ETK gauges, Simple engine debug and the Engine thermal debug

Those were the 3 files I altered, the ETK gauges were to increase the update rate from 30fps to 60

The Simple engine debug was to remove the decimal point on the torque and power and also make the load to be in %

as for the Thermals it was a load of changes there to make it look "neater" just moved a few decimal places and cleaned up a few names, nothing too serious
    --- Post updated ---
    Something could be broken but I have no idea where, all I did was just a UI cleanup on the files in question, I dont see how that could have effected my game for the longest period of time

6. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Looks like this for me with imperial unit pre-selection:

7. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I get that as well, I use it on custom, and I have lb-ft selected but it defaults to Nm regardless of what I pick for the unit, you need to look at the Unit selection when you say "Lbs-Ft" it goes to that instead of saying "Nm" thats a bug if I saw one....

8. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Yes you are right, fixed for some future update :)

9. coolusername

coolusername
    Expand Collapse

Afaik ps is imperial too, and kw is the metric measurment for power?

10. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Thanks that bug has been mentioned by myself some time back and thanks for getting around to fixing it finally, that bug has been there for a very long time and I doubt anyone had noticed it until someone uses custom setups to find it, but hey thats what the user base is for, bug finding

11. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Since when is PS imperial? It's just the "old" german unit for power. It's been deprecated since 1978, but nobody cares and everyone continues to use it (kW is the official replacement)

12. Gregory TheGamer

Gregory TheGamer
    Expand Collapse

Hey there,

I understand, but that still is not correct. Brake Horsepower and Horsepower are as far as I am aware of two separate units. BHP is measured to my understanding with all the components attached to the engine which means the amount of power that the car has at its wheels, while HP is the amount of power the engine has at the flywheel. I could be wrong though, but that is what school taught me in the past.

Actually, according to my sources, kW officially replaced PS in 1992, not in 1978.

Cheers,
    Gregory U.

13. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Hm, my german Wiki article says otherwise on both accounts haha.

I trust it for the PS thing, as for HP vs BHP, not sure, it says it's the same. Anyone else wanting to comment?

14. Gregory TheGamer

Gregory TheGamer
    Expand Collapse

In what way does it say it is the same?

15. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

The german article treats them as if they were exactly the same. Upon further research it turns out that BHP is essentially the engine without the aux stuff like the waterpump and A/C and so on.
    In Beam this makes no difference, we don't have losses due to these things, so HP and BHP end up being the same for us. So technically the units are correct ;)

16. Gregory TheGamer

Gregory TheGamer
    Expand Collapse

Alright, then it is okay I suppose. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice