1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

How can I force 99% cpu and gpu usage? (or at least gpu) devs GIH

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DHR, Aug 12, 2013.

1. M_Nation

M_Nation
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that's pretty much what I gathered, 23 fps being almost unplayable and 30 being relatively smooth, that's the area where small changes make a big difference. I think I read that they might be staying away from dx11 because many people still have dx9 and 10 cards, and if I remember correctly direct compute is dx11 only

2. e345spd

e345spd
    Expand Collapse

dx10 also, but that's a very good point that I completely forgot about.

3. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

A lot of dx10 and dx11 games do offer a dx9 version that is playable or offer dx11 as an extra download (eg crysis 2). But i am guessing that would be quite a bit of work.

The main thing to remember is code optimizations will benefit everyone, optimisations to make better use of certain hardware will only effect certain people. So normally that would tell me that open cl may be a long way a way as they can benefit more people just by optimising the code.

4. M_Nation

M_Nation
    Expand Collapse

but opencl can benefit.. pretty much everyone. I don't think anyone playing on integrated graphics will be able to have a good experience playing this game no matter how much code optimization they do. On the other hand, anybody who can have a decent experience probably has a dedicated card, which almost certainly supports opencl. I think opencl would benefit just about anyone, and for the few it doesn't, it would be outweighed by the massive improvements it provides to those that it did.

5. bowserchomp

bowserchomp
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Remember that your GPU would still be limited by the CPU on how fast it can send the data to be processed.

6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

My 560ti has a hard enough time getting the graphics sorted and it is hardly at the low end. surely if a card that benchmarks equal to a refrence 570 just about runs 60fps @ 1080 then if you add the physics calculations to its workload it isnt going to be pleased. I would also prefer a nice spread of utilization accross the components in my pc rather than putting all the load on a single one. So sure in your use case it may help. But i get the feeling that to most players it may not be as benificial as some optimisation. Optimisation may also be easier to impliment too. But i guess there is no proof for what i am saying until they give it a go.

written on phone so expect errors in spelling/ grammer.

7. M_Nation

M_Nation
    Expand Collapse

You may be right. I wasn't aware that the game was that intense on the video card. I also realized that I get TERRIBLE frame rates if I put the game on "lowest" settings. Like something is broken, if I put it on "low" it skyrockets, just an FYI. I guess I just figured that most people prioritize their GPU, such is the case with the earlier poster that has DDR2 and a 7970, those people may benefit more. I assume that once they optimize it for multi threading and such that it will be MUCH more efficient to run on many systems.

8. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

There seems to be a major performance difference between the ix xxx and the ix 2xxx+ series. I have issues with 3 cars on lowest setting, and I can barley manage 1 with maxed settings. I have hd 7770 and i7 870. I would love open CL though, as I just ordered a hd 7950. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice