How do i make a high poly car mod?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Frav, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Frav

Frav
    Expand Collapse

In this tutorial (from official Wiki) the author says that the maximum number of vertices is around 100 or so, however all of the in-game beamng cars have much more vertices than that. I would appreciate it if you reply to this thread! :) thanks - Frav

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Link to tutorial?

Depends what kind of vertices he is referring to.

Mesh: Usually you don't count mesh complexity with vertices, but triangles. There's no limit I'm aware of. Our cars are on average 30-40k triangles with interiors. More triangles you have, more expensive to render, and potentially more spiky deformations if the physical skeleton isn't up to it.

Physics: Cars in BeamNG are made of nodes and beams (this is entirely different from the mesh. You don't take a car mesh and straight convert it into a skeleton). If he referred to the nodes are vertices, than that makes a bit more sense. There's a upper limit, but not one you can normally reach. Our cars usually have around 300-400 nodes. More nodes (and beams), the more to simulate, the heavier on performance. The amount of nodes usually depends on the complexity of the thing you want to have. If you are making a box, 8 nodes would do it, for example.

3. Frav

Frav
    Expand Collapse

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

I don't see it mentioning any vertices limit, may you point the exact part you are referring to?

Also note that in the tutorial he is creating a simple vehicle, for simplicity sake.
    Once you learn how to work with Nodes and Beams, you can re-use what you learned on a bigger scale project.

If you are approaching modding, I warmly recommend starting from something simpler. Making a vehicle is something I'd aim when you have enough confidence and knowledge about modding the game.

5. Frav

Frav
    Expand Collapse

2020-01-09.png zoom in to highlighted area. P.S sorry for bad quality image :(

6. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

OHHHHH... I see the confusion here. In that part of the tutorial he is making the JBeam structure. Thus the limit. You don't want too many nodes or beams or else nothing would be able to run it.

The actual mesh that is used to visually represent the vehicle can have WAY more than that. That step comes later in that same tutorial.

7. Frav

Frav
    Expand Collapse

I'm so dumb LOL! Anyway, thanks SO MUCH for the help people!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Frav

Frav
    Expand Collapse

so how should I make a jbeam? because when I export jbeam from blender there is the exact same amount of nodes and beams as there are in the mesh. how do I reduce this amount of nodes and beams?
    o_O

9. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Please understand that a Jbeam is not your 3D model exported as Jbeam.
    If you try to do that, you get a physical skeleton with very little use.

Jbeam is a different, ad-hoc structure you have to create to give the car it's physical behavior.
    The 3D model is just for the visuals.

You need to make a Jbeam model from scratch, with physics in mind.
    Load any official vehicle, and use the Debug menu to show it's skeleton (Nodes and Beams), and you will see how different that is from the 3D model itself.

10. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice