1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

How many cores is BeamNG optimised for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlakeAwsome, Apr 2, 2017.

1. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

You put into words exactly what I was thinking... although I'll try to answer it anyways I guess.

My "guess" with the Ryzen 9 3900x is that it could run 30 cars about as well as my computer can... more than likely much better as I would imagine its single core performance probably far surpases my old machine. Remember, each vehicle basically exists in its own thread. So whether its a Pigeon or a Train, the entire physics simulation for it runs in just 1 single thread. That being said, naturally it will run better if the other thread on that core is left open.

So... basic rule of thumb... If its an 8 core processor, you will probably run 8 cars just fine. 12 core, 12 cars. 32 core... well... you get it. You can go further, but depending on the single core performance, more than likely you won't make it much more than 3 to 5 cars past your core count before the game starts running slower than real time.

HOWEVER... remember... the more cars you have on screen, the more draw calls that will be made to your graphics card. If you want to keep it above 60fps your not only going to need a hell of a CPU, but your going to need one HELL of a graphics card. (ok I make that sound like you need a super card or something... probably anything above a 1080 would get the job done.)

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice