Solved How to add ESC to vehicles.

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Wizardnil, May 19, 2017.

1. Wizardnil

Wizardnil
    Expand Collapse

Hello everyone.

I have a mod that has an insane amount of horsepower, adding an option for ESC would be nice since I want to measure the top speed of it rather than spinning out. Does anyone know how to add ESC to a vehicle?
    Thank You

2. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

If you look in the ETK800 zip file, you will see a file called "etk800_esc.jbeam". If you copy this into your own mod's folder, add the slot into into your mod, you will now have ESC and TCS with the ability to toggle between 3 different modes including off. You will probably want to rename things to make sure that file conflicts are not possible.

You may want to fiddle with some of the settings, but you may also find it works fine by default. While it would likely be optimal to finely tune them to your specific needs, there are a lot of settings to fiddle with.

3. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

This, id change the slot it needs to the mod slot of whatever vehicle you want to use so you don't need to make a new body part. For example: "moonhawk_mod" should work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wizardnil

Wizardnil
    Expand Collapse

Ok thank you man! I'll try it out and get back to you!

5. Wizardnil

Wizardnil
    Expand Collapse

How do you do it?

6. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

1. First step is to work out what vehicle you are using. Make sure you know the vehicle folder name. For example, the Moonhawk's folder is "moonhawk" and the Barstow's is "barstow".
    2. Then create a folder in your mods directory (Documents/BeamNG.drive/mods) called "unpacked". This lets you work on mods without having to zip and unzip every time you work on something. If you already have an unpacked folder from something else, just skip this step.
    3. Inside that unpacked folder you can put pretty much any mod that has been unzipped. Keep in mind that mods inside that folder must still have a main folder, for example "unpacked/MyMod/vehicles/MyCar/" will work, but "unpacked/vehicles/MyCar" won't work.
    4. Make a new main folder for your mod, I suggest using something that identifies the author, the vehicle, and what the mod adds to that vehicle. For example, "wizardnil_moonhawk_esc" would be perfect. This makes everything much easier to find later than just "esc_stuff" or something similar. Also with this make sure to never use spaces, either use no spaces at all or use underscores.
    5. Once you have a main folder, create another folder called "vehicles", and inside that vehicles folder create another folder that is the exact name of your vehicle that you want to add esc to.
    6. After that, you should have a structure of "wizardnil_moonhawk_esc/vehicles/moonhawk/" or something similar.
    7. Now inside your moonhawk folder download the attached file I've uploaded, which is simply the etk800 ESC jbeam. Rename the "test" part of the filename to the name of your vehicle you want to add ESC to. This isn't vital but is a very good idea to do.
    8. Now open the renamed jbeam, and change the first instance of "test_esc" to whatever your vehicle is + "esc". So for the moonhawk it would be "moonhawk_esc". You could also add an author name in there too, which is a good idea.
    9. Now rename the slotType from "test_mod" to whatever your vehicle's name is + "mod". This is using a predefined slot in every vehicle, so that you can add any parts you want to it, just using that slot. So for example, for the moonhawk it would be "moonhawk_mod".
    10. That is actually all you need to do. Just start up the game, and spawn the vehicle in question. Look under the Additional Modification slot and you should be able to find your ESC.
    Just another thing to remember, when putting things in the unpacked folder, they always seem to need a game restart to show up.

This may seem like a ton of steps, but really it's super easy and once you get the hang of it you can do it in about 30 seconds.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Good instructions @Inertia. I have a couple of small suggestions:

RE: #1 - both of your examples are of the same type. I think that it would be better to include an additional example of the older type: For example, the Moonhawk's folder is "moonhawk" and the Barstow's is "barstow" but the Covet's is "hatch".

RE: #8 - Yeah, this is commonly glossed over but I strongly recommend adding the author name or another completely unique identifier to every part. Every single part must have a globally unique name or bad things will happen (eg a name which is unique across all vehicles). So the recommendation here is to name the new part something like "wizardnil_moonhawk_esc".

Lots of people seem to have the idea that multiple mods which affect the same vehicle just aren't going to be compatible. In some cases they may not be, but this does not have to be the case. Truly unique part names (not just across all the vehicles, the common folder, and your own mod... but across those things plus all mods) are pretty key to having compatible mods which do not break each other or the game.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wizardnil

Wizardnil
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much for explaining everything in great detail! I will definitely try this!
    --- Post updated ---
    So I followed the instructions and for a test I did the Moonhawk. But when I loaded the game the section "Additional Modifications" was not there. Is there anything that I'm doing wrong?

9. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

I just did a test to check if it was working, and it did. Make sure that your slotType is "moonhawk_mod" and that your file structure is correct. Post your .jbeam file here if you want :)

10. Wizardnil

Wizardnil
    Expand Collapse

So I followed the instructions and for a test I did the Moonhawk. But when I loaded the game the section "Additional Modifications'
    Alright, I'll see what I can do :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice