1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

How to downgrade?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Username, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Username

Username
    Expand Collapse

I hate 3.7.2. It breaks a lot of things and won't spawn in things properly. How can I downgrade my game, like Euro Truck Simulator 2? And how do I prevent its auto-update?

2. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

orrrrr you could update! 0.3.7.5 came out yesterday, it fixed some things. If you plan to do it, do a full re-install.

3. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Only upgrading is possible, not downgrading.

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Preventing auto-update is a steam feature.
    In steam library, right click BeamNG, properties, updates, change the dropdown. Sadly the best option it can give you is to only update the game when launched, they do not allow playing unupdated copies. But that brings me to the second point on downgrading.

While steam doesnt allow downgrading (which kinda goes with the above anyway) natively. There are 2 workarounds of which 1 applies to BeamNG.

I have seen developers exploiting the beta branch settings to upload each new version as a seperate branch + updating the stable. You can effectively rollback your version by opting into a beta branch. This is rare and alot of developer work so I dont think would happen for BeamNG. Also works around the first issue.

Alternately. Although BeamNG is installed via steam. It doesnt actually rely upon steam in order to run. If you right click the game in steam, properties, local files, browse local files. It will take you to the install folder. THe game can be launched manually from here and steam cant stop you (steam doesnt even have to be running). If autoupdates are disabled, although steam wont let you play the game without patching, you can launch it from here (just add a shortcut to the executable on the desktop or something). Or you can actually copy/paste the game from here to other locations on the PC and run them there. Zip the entire install folder up and you have an effective backup, then if you update the game and don't like it, unzip your backup and job done.

5. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

We do not want to support downgrading because it will increase our maintenance cost a lot, as users will support bugs for older versions and alike.

6. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Why would you want to downgrade exactly? Like what are your exact reasons vs a vague reason like "bugs".

7. Username

Username
    Expand Collapse

Cars don't work Trees and vegetation don't spawn in quickly anymore
    Maps won't work
    New UI is confusing (I like it but I dislike the thumbnails and confusing naming)
    If I try to change any video options the game goes grey until I quit and won't save my options
    Laggier than the last version

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Uninstall the game from steam. Delete beamng folder from documents. Confirm the beamng install folder has been deleted from your hard drive by steam, if not, delete it.

Reinstall.

No vegetation etc sounds like you have an installation issue.

Cars and maps work fine here. Even mod ones (well, mod cars, haven't tried mod maps, I don't use many mod maps)

As for ui, the old control w and e keys work still, everything else I think is an improvement but that's personal taste.

Also can't duplicate the video settings bug, changed mine just fine.

9. Username

Username
    Expand Collapse

Now the settings won't save when I start a map and there's this annoying water noise that drowns out everything.

10. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

You have to select DirectSound for your sound provider in the game options.

11. mrboojay

mrboojay
    Expand Collapse

Another thing you can do to have the game run independantly from Steam is to put your desktop shorcut on your task bar. I put it there to make it easier to access, turns out Steam has no idea what I am doing.

12. Username

Username
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! Buy is there a way to disable the water sound completely? ALso, Do you know how to make the trees stop loading slowly? I have everything on low settings, what should I bump up?

13. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Mesh Detail

14. Miura

Miura
    Expand Collapse

As I understand it, the trees and grass load just as fast as before, but now the game doesn't stop while loading them. It just doesn't display them until they have loaded. So you get shorter initial loading time before you can drive, and no lag when driving around as more resources are loaded.

15. Username

Username
    Expand Collapse

Bumped it up to Normal, it lags more but still loads slowly.

Oh. I wish they didn't do that, it's very jarring and I can't react quick enough to avoid any obstacles.

16. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

This all sounds like problems on your end of things dude.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice