1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

How to I save edited map into new file?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by IRebic, Apr 6, 2020.

1. IRebic

IRebic
    Expand Collapse

So I loaded up gridmap and changed it, pressed save as, picked my location and saved AS. Did not worry about it and kept saving (just save) as I edited along.
    Today when I wanted to pick it back up and continue I found out that save as did literately nothing, also that my gridmap became the map I made.

I don't mind destroying gridmap I don't use it but I tried saving as and it does nothing like nothing happens, I select the location and type in file name no new files appear. I can export hightmap that does create an export so I know it's not folder or file access issue.
    Also it creates .level.json.level_0.ter and .level.json.level_0.terrain.json files but not in the specified directory, it goes to \levels instead no matter where I try to put it.

Additionally when I press save as all the hitboxes for terrain stop working - cars go through the ground, but it all loads up OK if I load the map again...

How can I export my progress? I just want to save map as a different name so the new update or whatever does not erase it by modifying gridmap to a new version.

I wanted to simply copy gridmap files and rename them but I can't find that also like WTF??
    My /levels/gridmap folder is 10.2 KB (10.458 bytes) big, that can't be it? How do I get like zip file for gridmap like mods have and just rename it or something

This is driving me insane, I feel like I just wasted hours of work on a map that I can not actually save as NOT gridmap...

Thank you for help

2. PlanetBloopy

PlanetBloopy
    Expand Collapse

Were you using the old editor? I tried out editing gridmap in the new editor (F10) and had some quite different issues.

First I tried to save directly to \My Documents\BeamNG.drive\levels\ instead of creating a subfolder, which was a bad idea.

On the next attempt I saved my map as \My Documents\BeamNG.drive\levels\gridmap_edit\ and this name really messed things up. Instead of putting the original files to that folder, they were unpacked to \gridmap_edit_edit\ and so loading gridmap_edit gave me the map with no textures and things. I think I'm on the right track now though!

It'd be great if the editor could create \My Documents\BeamNG.drive\levels\ if it doesn't exist yet, and default to that instead of a folder in steamapps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice