How to make a Collision model help?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Narwhal, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

Hello again
    i need help creating a colision model from multiple meshes in blender. i have followed nadeox1 tutorial but it doesnt work
    this is the template i am using(my model is not in this)
    adfadfdf.PNG
    i have all these meshes
    haolp.PNG
    i have tried combining into one object (uses 9 gigabytes of ram)
    doing it pieces at a time(so i would have concrete object then duplicate concrete and rename it to Colmesh-1)

#1 Narwhal, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  2. Rokzy rules

Rokzy rules
    Expand Collapse

Re: How to make a Collision model from multiple meshes?

I know this is sketchup but it should help you with the overall formatting and stuff http://www.beamng.com/threads/7216-...ble-mesh-collisions)?highlight=collision+mesh

3. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

4. Rokzy rules

Rokzy rules
    Expand Collapse

Haven't watched it myself but the basic jist is 3 models 1 visual, 1 faraway visual and 1 collision for the modelling part. Then skip the tutorial to the bit were he exports then follow it.

5. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

i know how to do collision models in sketchup. its just the file is so big sketch stops respoding when i import it
    edit
    im in a shitty mood. im watching the video now

- - - Updated - - -

still doesnt work..
    CAN anyone help ME?

#5 Narwhal, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  6. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

I'm crap with Blender and the way the layers work. Can you rename the meshes in blender to Colmesh-1 Colmesh-2 etc instead of facadetexture. The example pic at the top of your op shows you how they should be named. I have tried to do the same thing myself in blender but nothing is intuitive and I couldn't figure out how to modify the names.
    What happens if you import the whole file into the game and rename the meshes in the shape editor like in my tutorial that was linked to you in an earlier post?

I have managed to load some quite massive models into Sketchup. It normally stops responding but if you look at the process in the task manager its normally chugging away slowly. It can take minutes or even hours in some cases. So as long as there is no error message and the process is not at zero usage just wait and it should load eventually even if Sketchup says not responding. I have learned to treat the not responding message as more of a I'm busy message. If you do manage to load it into Sketchup then save it as a Sketchup project to avoid having to import it from the .dae again. Though you say it uses 9GB of ram so expect a long wait and huge lag if it loads. I also noticed some .dae files when imported are 10 times too big and need to be scaled down, so measure things before exporting again.

I'm interested to know what the model is though.

Good luck

7. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

#7 Narwhal, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  8. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

ok, sorry for not responding in a timely fashion but I was busy last night.

I would say that the model seems to be too complex to just import as it is. I would try and cut it into smaller, manageable sections and line them up in the map editor. There isn't really a right or wrong way to do it but it depends on how much detail it has, what the model is and what not. I guess the model is an entire race track or city or something. So I would try and divide it into equal sized sections. This will also help when you set up the LOD, as one huge model will be showing the highest detail all the time as you will always be close to some part of it. Having smaller sections means that when you are far away from one of the sections the LOD can display a low lag version and increase performance.

I noticed that sometimes sketchup likes to export a million distorted versions of the same texture that make up a curved surface. I found on a section of curved road Sketchup took my road texture and exported a distorted version for each face of the road resulting in 850 textures! I'm not sure what plugin's you have but one called Thrupaint is the one that caused this issue for me. I have since figured out how to use the sketchUV mapping plugin in conjunction with a 3rd party program called Roadkill. Its saved me so much file space on my final models and looks so much nicer than texturing a curved road by hand.

This video helped me to figure out how to uv texture roads in sketchup. (all things needed are free to download)

#8 jammin2222, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  9. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

hi. thanks for responding!
    i will try splitting it up soon
    thanks!

edit
    just found the tool i am using to help me can export all the meshes as individual meshes!

- - - Updated - - -

ok. i can import the model into torqe3d(NOT beamng) and it will have colllision when i set it to visible mesh in the world editor. BUT when i try the same thing in beamng, there is no collision. will have to import to sketchup somehow then into beamng

EDIT
    need help on dividing a mesh in sketchup into pieces. I dont know how to do it in blender because their are multiple objects to work on

#9 Narwhal, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice