1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

How to make something

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Finnb., Jul 27, 2013.

1. Finnb.

Finnb.
    Expand Collapse

Hello, people, I just registered today, but I have a question.
    Do BeamNG vehicles use a .truck file?

2. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

The only thing you can do right now is:

Learn Lua for scripting in the game: making awesome things such as the parts selector
    Start using the Torque3D World editor to make maps
    Or create a car model in a 3D modelling software.

In BeamNG all the cars are only visible through meshes, so you need to model it.
    Also, the .truck file (or whatever the new name may be) is based on a modified JSON syntax. As of now, to make cars we can only make the models, but not the B/N structure. Don't worry though, it's still easy to make the B/Ns, it may even be simpler. There is new things such as groups and something else I forgot :)

3. Finnb.

Finnb.
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, but I have one question( only answer it if you want) I have a computer with a 2,8 ghz processor, do you think that's
    enough? And thank you for an answer on my first question!

4. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

How many cores at 2,8Ghz? And don't forget the GPU to get decent fps.

5. Finnb.

Finnb.
    Expand Collapse

it's a hp compaq evo d310 with windows xp with a intel core duo processor.

6. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

Intel Pentium P4, DDR1 RAM(highest HP said is 1GB, maybe you upgraded?), IDE HDD, AGP Graphics.
    I'm quite sorry to say, but I doubt it will be playable on low settings.

7. PauliKa

PauliKa
    Expand Collapse

8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

The easiest way to find out is download Torque 3D and see if you can run it, if you can you will be able to run BeamNG. But BeamNG will acheive a lower fps than a plain empty Torque3D map with no or very little physics.

Go here: http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d and download the binary and try and install and run it. This is the most sure fire way to test.

But i think it is fair to say that Kamil_ is correct, I think it is rather unlikely you will be able to run BeamNG at all ,never mind at a low fps. In saying that, Rigs of rods should run on that machine just fine, but dont expect to be running the more graphically intense cars and maps. You will probably get close to 5fps if you use a Gavril for example unless you have updated components.

To PauliKa:
    That is most certainly not true, Our 9 year old family pc (dell dimension 4550, ati radian 9700 pro) can run rigs of rods. It can even play at 60fps if you go on baker ranch with Gabesters s10 with the settings adjusted correctly. I can guarantee you it will not have a chance of playing BeamNG. It point blank refused to play colin mcrae DiRT. Not because it didn't have the power (lets face it though it probably didn't) but just because it didn't support modern pixel shaders and other similar issues. In the end the GPU failed while playing the sims 2, that pc is now running integrated graphics. The old gpu causes artefacts everywhere regardless of drivers.

#8 aljowen, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  9. JAM3SwGAM3S

JAM3SwGAM3S
    Expand Collapse

Im currently creating a car in blender for my very first time . I learnt blender myself over 2 days still havnt got used to it but im learning :) just learn something try to enjoy it and don't give up :D

10. PauliKa

PauliKa
    Expand Collapse

RoR ran on my old nvidia mx440 64mb(cars where white though)
    Anyway,if that agp card the OP has atleast dx9 and pixel shader 2.0 then there are chances he will run RoR without problems.
    Also the devs said beamng is more improvised than RoR which makes everyone happier.
    And your ati radeon 9700 doesn't seem to run dirt(as it seems the minimun requirement is a 256 mb card).

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

The reason you had white cars was probably the lack of video ram.
    Yes, if he is using an agp card. The pc as standard uses intel integrated, which integrated of that age may not run ror.
    Yes it is more optimised, therefore more complex things will be made. Also i think they were talking about things that would happen on the cpu there. But Torque3d will run faster than ogre, but the maps look like they have much higher fidelity. Torque3d also has a much higher min spec than ogre does due to it being more modern.
    Yes, while it did not have enough ram that would most likely not stop the game from running, although you would probably have plenty of texture glitches. Its pixel shaders that were the main pain in the neck, lots of games like to use more modern pixel shaders than older cards support. The game will refuse to run without them, but it is unlikely it will refuse to run on less ram than needed.

I think it is probably fair to say that i wont get ror to run on the nvidia tnt2 that is currently in the family pc, but i haven't tried. But to be honest i don't use that pc at all as i have my own decent one now.

#11 aljowen, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  12. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

Just going to second that.
    OGRE that RoR was using, is pretty bad, T3D is a lot faster, but the quality of the cars and the terrains is a lot greater than the speed increase from using T3D (sounded a little weird, but BeamNG needs better graphics cards because it's got better quality content and not because it's rendering engine is optimized)

A minimum VRAM specification wouldn't stop the game from playing, but something like not supporting the directx version or pixel shader would in fact do.

Also, I would not have hopes for a 64mb graphics card to run BeamNG even on minimum(I know it was your old one, but it's an AGP, telling the OP).
    I know that some AGP cards are alright, I guess if it was a high end one that supports dx9, it might just run it on minimum or something.

13. PauliKa

PauliKa
    Expand Collapse

I really don't think cars where white because of lack of video memory(more likely pixel shader).
    And with this card I could play FlatOut 2 but the minimap is white and lights on the car are white.
    With the fx5200 128mb I could play FlatOut 2 without any white+better fps(now this card is closing my monitor after some minutes even seconds of playing a ''more serious'' game)

14. Finnb.

Finnb.
    Expand Collapse

I am sorry I didn't react so fast, but really thank you so much for helping me!

15. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

That white car issue can be fixed by setting the rendering (Or something of the sort) to default instead of software. Worked for me. Even though my laptop can run RoR at a decent 25 FPS I don't expect to be playing BeamNG on it at all.

16. ioustuf

ioustuf
    Expand Collapse

So I just googled this question and found no definite answers so here it goes... Is creating something in Cinema 4D anything like Torque 3D, and if it is would it possible to convert files from Cinema 4D into Torque 3D files?

17. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

You can't model in Torque3D, you have to use an external modelling program and export as collada to either compress/pack the file into the T3D .dts (i think) or import the collada into T3D directly.
    If you're talking about maps, you can make them in a 3D modelling program, but it's better to use the T3D terrain/world editor.
    I don't really understand the question, Cinema 4D is a modelling program, and Torque 3D is a game engine..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice