How to port an automation engine to another car.

Discussion in 'Automation' started by DaddelZeit, Jun 8, 2020.

1. DaddelZeit

DaddelZeit
    Expand Collapse

Note: You have to set up a mod folder first. (your mod name/vehicles/the file name of your car)
    It's pretty easy. Get the engine file from the car you wan't to export the engine to.
    upload_2020-2-25_14-7-22.png
    Change (in this example) "Camso_Engine" to whatever you want to call the engine. And I think that "authors" and "name" explains itself.
    Then get the engine you want to export. Copy the torque
    upload_2020-2-25_14-10-48.png
    out of the automation engine file into the other engine file. If you want, you can export the exhaust settings too.

Now copy the soundconfig
    upload_2020-2-25_14-12-35.png
    out of the automation engine and search for the soundconfig in the other engine file.
    Now copy the automation sound (art) into your folder and pack it to a zip.

To port the model, please follow these instructions: (I can't seem to be able to find the thread, pls help)
    --- Post updated ---
    Also, if your engine doesn't have the redline export, be sure to make an ECU if possible.
    Get the ECU of the car you're exporting to, copy it to your engine file, change the name and the rpmlimit,
    and you're good to go. Here's an example:
    Code:
    "hatch_engine_automationi3_ecu": {
        "information":{
            "authors":"DaddelZeit",
            "name":"I3 ECU",
            "value":625,
        },
        "slotType" : "hatch_engine_ecu",
        "mainEngine":{
            "hasRevLimiter":true,
            "revLimiterRPM":12000,
            "revLimiterType":"timeBased",
            "revLimiterCutTime":0.15,
        },
    },

#1 DaddelZeit, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  2. GyBarna

GyBarna
    Expand Collapse

Hi, thanks for the help, but I dont see the 3 first pictures. It says: you dont have permission to view this page or perform this action.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mellowbug

mellowbug
    Expand Collapse

I ported an engine but its invisible, what could cause that?

4. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

Does the new car have the meshes for the old engine in the files?

5. mellowbug

mellowbug
    Expand Collapse

Im sorry i dont fully understand what ur saying. Its my first port from automation to beam so dont know much about it. I got it running and added some swappeble parts. But its not visible in the car it does drive though. I havent edited the jbeam much except those extra parts and changed the slot type to the car i ported it to. Ive read this was caused due to missing materials file and the dae model. But even after i copied those to the vehicle folder its still invisible.

So i guess not? I havent fidled with any meshes anyway. Today i cut off the axle and drive shaft in blender so the engine should fit better.. dont know if this is of any importance though. Havent tested it after that.. took me all day to figure out how blender worked.

#5 mellowbug, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  6. mellowbug

mellowbug
    Expand Collapse

So anyone found or can point me to the thread that explains how to exualy port the model??

7. DaddelZeit

DaddelZeit
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 1
  8. mellowbug

mellowbug
    Expand Collapse

thnx.
    --- Post updated ---
    Does that tut still aply? the car itself and the engine are 2 different dae files with the barstow, its not like 1 dae file like the tut.
    So should i only open the car dae without engine and place my model in there or open the barstow engine dae and place my model over that?

9. DaddelZeit

DaddelZeit
    Expand Collapse

open the engine dae and place your engine in there.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mellowbug

mellowbug
    Expand Collapse

Oke thnx. I just loaded the car and engine dae and the engine automaticly was place correct. So makes sense.. got 1 other questen though which is maybe offtopic but you would probably know. If i import a dae they are always without textures is this the way it is supposed to be? Or can i also import them with textures?

11. DaddelZeit

DaddelZeit
    Expand Collapse

You've got to make a main.materials.json file for your engine aswell.

12. mellowbug

mellowbug
    Expand Collapse

Whats the difference between a main.materials.json and the materials.cs file then? I looked at the main.materials.json of the barstow.. which refers to the dds files.. wich are the textures right?

13. DaddelZeit

DaddelZeit
    Expand Collapse

materials.cs has been replaced with main.materials.json but is still supported, both do the same thing.
    Yes, the .dds files are the textures.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mellowbug

mellowbug
    Expand Collapse

What would be the go to way be for creating new textures in dds format? Ive seen bc7 compression is the new standard?

Just downloaded paint.net

#14 mellowbug, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  15. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Personally I just make PNG textures in GIMP and use online PNG to DDS converters every time and it works. There is a tutorial on the wiki but it's probably outdated by several years so I don't follow it.

16. DaddelZeit

DaddelZeit
    Expand Collapse

pain.net is a good choice

17. mellowbug

mellowbug
    Expand Collapse

Does someone know about a good tut about putting a main.matirials.json together? Or converting a cs file to json since im working with a automation model.
    1 other thing.. since im working with a automation model and deleted all except the engine from the exported dae im stuck with alot of leftover material references in blender. What would be a good way of cleaning this up? Manually? or just stick to the cs file?

#17 mellowbug, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  18. DaddelZeit

DaddelZeit
    Expand Collapse

Leftover materials should be removed by the next time you reopen the dae.
    What I meant with "make a main.materials.json file" is that you should copy-paste it into your mod.

19. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

So that's what happened with all the unneeded duplicate materials I had in my dummy, good to know, the dae file size was also reduced a bit after it got rid of them and I was confused.

20. mellowbug

mellowbug
    Expand Collapse

I got a cs file .. automation doesnt export it with a json file. Also there will be leftover references in that cs file.. just remove them then?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice