How well will this run BeamNG?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by ajz177, Jan 2, 2018.

?

Is this laptop a good choice?

1. Yes

17.9%
  2. No

82.1%
  1. SandwichesANDmilk

SandwichesANDmilk
    Expand Collapse

i got that same ram on amazon for $45!!

2. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

I got all my ddr3 ram free (16gb) 4 sticks, and its really good, idk the exact thing tho. Its really nice ram. if that makes sence

3. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

Get a Ryzen or Skylake/Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake if you got the money.
    If you want an older one, go Intel. AMD FX is crap nowadays.

4. Mr.Blueboy

Mr.Blueboy
    Expand Collapse

...It's almost like they are stealing money from you....(UM...no.)
    --- Post updated ---
    How did you manage that?

5. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

AGREE:
    Do *NOT* buy AMD FX.
    However, AMD Ryzen is great on a budget for desktops and the 1600 CPU is a good chip for this game.
    SSD's are awesome, even if it only holds the OS and one game, you will have 0 regrets other than you didn't get a bigger one. A Crucial MX500 is a great drive for budget-minded folks.
    8gb of RAM is sufficient, 16gb of RAM is plenty, more is into the realm of diminishing returns.

Good graphics cards are 1050Ti 4gb for the budget-minded gamer, 1060 6gb for the more enthusiastic gamer, and 1070Ti for the spendy gamer.
    Corsair, Fractal, Lian-li make good cases, but you might find something cheaper (Lian-Li is pricey!).
    Get a case WITH DUST FILTERS over all intake holes (bottom, front, and possibly top too due to dust settling). Trust me, it is worth the extra 10~15$ you would pay for them.
    A good case can make the difference between a 'meh' build and an 'I love it' build.
    It can also make the difference between having skin on your knuckles (or not) at the end of the build.

Always buy a GOOD name-brand PSU. A 500~600 Watt PSU is higher than you should ever need, so a 500~550 watt PSU should be sufficient. SeaSonic is the name I swear by, but you can buy a Rosewill or EVGA if that's all the budget allows for... but your components will love a good quality supply of clean power and live longer to boot. You'll spend less in the end, especially if you run your PC's non-stop for years like I do.

My Seasonic 750 watt PSU, has been through dozens of direct lightning strikes on our house in the last few years, and even "corrupt fired ex-informants" from years ago enacting yet more revenge on me, and trying to taser my electronics while I am not home (Don't live in Pennsylvania, they're idiots up there, it's why I live in Tennessee now). I cannot recommend another brand more than this one.
    Do read reviews if not sure, but EVGA's units are CHEAP though not nearly as well-engineered, but do have short-circut protection and over-current / over-power protection on them, but it varies by model.

You can get a Ryzen laptop for around 700~900$ if that's not too much, also.

Tip: Buy only the RAM and GPU you're going to need to get by for now, prices on BOTH a bit pricey. Also, don't buy a damn Seagate hard-drive if you love your data, if you must buy a HDD in 2018 (hint: buy an SSD), buy a Hitachi/HGST - Backblaze stats show they're best, second is Western Digital (IIRC).

6. Mr.Blueboy

Mr.Blueboy
    Expand Collapse

What if you are a serious Intel fan like I am? What do you do about that? :)

7. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

I completely agree with this. You dont want to cheap out on a cheap PSU because of the risk of fire and killing your components when something goes wrong. You will also want(Don't say we didnt warn you) a FULLY modular PSU, they might be a tad more expensive but it is worth it. I bought a Corsair 750RX iirc, way overkill for my system but it was as cheap as the 550-600, fully modular and it the efficiency peak was at my workload so it does generate a very small amount of heath.

As for cases, I bought a Phanteks Eclipse, it came with 2 cheap fans, dustfilters(they only hold the big flocks tho :p ), a nice glass cover which is prone to scratches and a very nice cable management system. It also has RGB but that shouldn't be a main selling point.

Also, buy a SSD, once you have one, you wont go back. When I got my laptop with a SSD and HDD my father was like, you wont need it and now he has a laptop with only a SSD he says the same :D.
    Oh, and if you are building, cable management makes troubleshooting easier and makes your pc run quieter/colder :)

8. Mr.Blueboy

Mr.Blueboy
    Expand Collapse

Can I add something? Just saying, if you don't like the price of an SSD, just get an SSHD they are so MUCH cheaper.
    (it is a hybrid drive, SSD, and HHD) Basically.

9. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

It's not recommended to buy a hybrid drive as you still will be reading and writing to the slower portion of the drive quite often, and it will for the most part, aside of initial boot-up, feel like a slower, older drive VS an HDD from what I've experienced. Most reviewers recommend an SSD + a separate drive for storage.
    The premium charged often for SSHD's often don't put them in a practical range. It's just a drive with a super-sized buffer of nand-chips.
    However, if you're severely space-constrained in both storage space in GB, and space constrained say in a laptop or HTPC, this could see a niche-use case and does. It's still recommended to just buy a standard SSD though, even bargain-basement SSD's are usually snappier feeling, and a better buy if you already have an existing HDD.
    To each their own, however.
    HDD's still have a use around here - in the drawer as backups, which I connect now and then temporarily to throw files onto (once/twice a month), and then immediately unhook.
    They don't make so much noise or slow down the computer much when they're in a desk drawer disconnected. Seriously, in 2018, there's no excuse except absolute poverty to not have your most frequently used apps and OS on a SSD.

I will honorably recommend the Crucial MX500 drive for those on a budget, there's almost no compromises and even beats many of last year's speed-demon pro-rated SATA (but not NVME) drives.
    --Again, to each their own, SSHD's have niche-use in space constraints, but not always the smartest buy. You're still buying a HDD in 2018, so just not recommended.

10. Mr.Blueboy

Mr.Blueboy
    Expand Collapse

Okay, that makes sense. I am running on an SSHD ( https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Fire...16741447&sr=8-2&keywords=seagate+firecuda+1tb )
    It is obviously faster than an HHD, but like you said, an SSD would be better.
    In my case, I couldn't afford a 1tb SSD, so therefore I decided to go w/ something faster. (I prefer an SSD)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice