WIP Hyperion Harrier

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by NinjaFinch, Oct 27, 2013.

1. NinjaFinch

NinjaFinch
    Expand Collapse

I wanted to post another project I'm working on, since I want to take a break for now from staring endlessly at the Osprey's jbeam. It's coming along nicely, by the way.

So here's the more complete project; the Hyperion Harrier. It's a 5-door liftback with decent handling and power, so long as it's not the base model/rental special. It's going to have about 5 variants, being FWD and AWD. All versions are going to use similar I4 motors and CVT gearboxes (except for a performance variant, which will have a V6). As originally planned, the AWD versions will have 4-wheel independent suspension, whereas the FWD variants will have either a torsion beam or delta link axle in the rear.

(Planned) Trim levels, sorted by ascending MSRP and subject to change:
    • 97B (Rental/Fleet) - 1.6 I4, 180kW AC motor, FWD
    • GS - 1.9 I4, 220 kW AC motor, FWD
    • GL - 1.9 I4, 220 kW AC motor, AWD
    • GT - 3.3 V6, 220 kW AC motor, AWD
    • GX-e - 2.0 I4 Turbo, 220 kW AC motor, AWD

TODO
    • Unibody/Exterior Panelling/Lighting
    • Interior
    • Driveline
    • Suspension/Steering/Brakes/Wheels
    • JBeam

I've got the unibody modelled out, along with the front end and some interior bits, leaving the doors, rear bumper, tailgate, and taillights. I've also already got the jbeam files for the driveline and suspension completed by using the Covet and Grand Marshal as test mules (and no, I'm not releasing the altered versions).

HAR_97B_Preview.jpg

HAR_FL_Redux.jpg

Bonus: 90% complete gauge cluster concept art!

View attachment 11817

As a side note, I've made more progress on this in one week, than I have on the Osprey in...however long it's been since I started.

-- UPDATE (07/11/2013) --
    Project on hold with plans to restart. See post 13 for details.

-- UPDATE (07/11/2013) --
    Project resuming - data recovered! (Mostly)

-- UPDATE (07/12/2013) --
    Unibody redesigned, vehicle is now a 5-door hatchback.

Attached Files:

• Harrier_Cluster_Concept.jpg
    #1 NinjaFinch, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  2. FastestClassic

FastestClassic
    Expand Collapse

Looks good, but there are a few things that should be done to the existing body shell:
    - Smooth out the hood a little bit.
    - Separate front bumper?
    Also, I think it'd look better with just a solid roof (no panoramic sunroof).

Other than that, I'm interested to see more ;)

3. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

This looks good so far, kinda an odd car, never seen this before. But yeah I would also give it some smoothing, it needs it on the hood, maybe the sides and the rear (from what I can see). But looking good.;) Seems fun to drive.

4. Nickorator

Nickorator
    Expand Collapse

I think an SUV would be a really cool addition to the game. Don't think I've heard of this car but it still looks familiar. Looks like it's gonna be fun! But yeah. I would stay clear of the sunroof. Otherwise great start!

5. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

It sorta reminds me of one of those Toyota's you would see in Singapore, the Wish or the Previa. toyota-wish-white-front.jpg Keep up the great work :) Really looking forward to this. :)

6. Masterjoc

Masterjoc
    Expand Collapse

The front spoiler will deform earlier as the suspension even starts to work :cool:

7. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Can't wait!

8. TU250X

TU250X
    Expand Collapse

Is it really going to hit 16,000 rpm/ will there be a MPH speedo.

9. NinjaFinch

NinjaFinch
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the feedback! I was planning on redoing the hood anyways, so I guess I'll start there. I'll consider deleting the sunroof and replacing it with, say, luggage spars and/or roof rails? A smaller sunroof? (IMHO, plain roofs on 2-box vehicles look ugly)

I'm glad you asked! ;) Yes, and yes.

Related: anybody know if it's possible to change engine sounds for an individual vehicle?

10. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Woah, hold up. 16,000 RPM? On a road car? Do you know how small the engine capacity would have to be to reach that speed without losing reliability?

11. NinjaFinch

NinjaFinch
    Expand Collapse

Yup, perfectly aware. I'll also mention now that the motor and gearbox specs I've got coded are to get it to emulate a ~200-220kw electric motor and a single speed fixed-ratio box, and it all works surprisingly well in game (though the gearbox tends to get screwy if you give it the real ratios that Tesla uses). The final redline value may change slightly, and I'll have a go at giving it 60+ gears to try and simulate a CVT, but the values I have now are mostly accurate.

12. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Ohhh. Electric. Nevermind then.

13. NinjaFinch

NinjaFinch
    Expand Collapse

Problem: 3DS Max has barfed, and now the .max file for the Harrier is corrupted. I have a good chunk of its dependent parts (fascia, wheels, etc) saved externally, and it looks like only the main file went kaput, so I'll be restarting the project at a later date.

14. Glenni91

Glenni91
    Expand Collapse

When in the browser for a file you want to open, go to the 3dsmax folder ,and find "autobak/autoback" it might possibly be there as a backup. Maybe a few steps backwards, but worth a try.

15. NinjaFinch

NinjaFinch
    Expand Collapse

I tried that (at about the time it crashed, mind you), but no dice. I rage quit to another project before I thought to look there, and any backups that might have been there got overwritten by the time I checked. I'm not too torn up over it though, since I wanted to overhaul everything behind the B-pillars anyway.

16. NinjaFinch

NinjaFinch
    Expand Collapse

So I was able to import just about everything except for the unibody to a new file (which would crash 3DS when I tried to edit it). Halfway through redoing the unibody, I started drawing inspiration from the Volt, Prius, Insight, etc, so I think I'm going to follow that route instead. Powertrain options are also going to be changing to gas-electric hybrid engines and CVTs. More info above.

HAR_FL_Redux.jpg

The hood got stretched, the bumper got reworked (the lower segments will get filled up with a diffuser down the middle and exposed fog lights in the corners). Wheelbase actually increased slightly, as well as all door lengths, and roof height went down. The greenhouse also shrunk a bit.

HAR_RL_Redux.jpg

Also, a wild liftback appeared.

#16 NinjaFinch, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  17. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

it's looking a lot better like this and it's got realistic ground clearance too!

how big is it like front to back, width, height?

18. NinjaFinch

NinjaFinch
    Expand Collapse

Width, track and height are approximately similar to the new Fusion/Mondeo, length and wheelbase are closer to the 4th gen. Legacy wagon.

19. IdealyMe

IdealyMe
    Expand Collapse

Cool but have you forgotten the side mirrors, glass, etc. But well I can be patient, tell me when its done because I will download this once I buy the game.

20. jotaonze

jotaonze
    Expand Collapse

This kind of reminds me of the Gavril Omega from RoR.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice