I got a new GPU!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by workclock1©, Dec 29, 2017.

?

Good?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2018.
  1. Yeah!

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Uhhhh

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. That poor GPU...

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

How does it look?

Capture.png

This kind of a joke thread, i had to take out my GT 740 (due to issues, don't ask why, there's no fixing it) and replace it with my old GPU. So for now, i'm stuck with a 2 dollar GPU until i save my money to get a GTX 950, Which might be a few months.

I feel bad for my PC, Like a lot.

2. Jota3214™

Jota3214™
    Expand Collapse

Intel HD Graphics it's more like, to a bad PC, the Nvidias are better :)

3. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

I know, i had to get my GT740 Replaced, and i did not want to become PCless (if that a word). So i got the second best thing. which isn't a best thing, at all.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jota3214™

Jota3214™
    Expand Collapse

Oh, at least, you're saving to get a better GPU :), also
    how much is your actual GPU? (The Intel HD Graphics) :)

5. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

Id sell you my 960 but not sure if its dieing or not lol.

6. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

It's around 5 dollars on eBay.

No need, keep it, I'd rather buy a new one :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jota3214™

Jota3214™
    Expand Collapse

Wow, 5 dollars?, that's a bit cheap, it's a Nvidia GPU, right?

8. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

Thats why i didnt say i WOULD sell it lol. want a 1080 so i wanna sell my two old pcs

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

it's a intel hd graphics

the crappiest gpu on the market.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jota3214™

Jota3214™
    Expand Collapse

I had a potato PC before
    4 GB Ram
    500 GB disk space
    Intel Pentimum Inside 1.7 GHz (can run rFactor perfectly, GTR2 too, with some problems)
    Intel HD Graphics

11. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

What's your current specs?

12. Jota3214™

Jota3214™
    Expand Collapse

Nvidia GeForce 650M GT (2GB minimum, 4GB max)
    Intel Core i7 3300QM 2.4 GHz (Can run Project CARS 2 without any problems on medium graphics)
    12GB Ram
    1TB disk space
    It's a great PC, right? :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Racermon

Racermon
    Expand Collapse

I got a 950 but I am sure it is bottlenecked by my motherboard

14. Jota3214™

Jota3214™
    Expand Collapse

Wow, that PC is a bit beast :)

15. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

Well then..

16. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

No it is not bottle-necked by an i5 @ 3.2ghz. That cpu can actually push more video than that, it has PCI-E 3.0 You would have been much better served with a 1050Ti 4gb, but if all your could afford was the 950 2gb, or it was a gift, it is much better than having something less powerful. That being said, it should run medium on most maps, and high on others. Just don't ask it to do reflections, that video board is going to be lagging with lots of reflection (though basic ones might be OK).
    For example - HIGH graphics detail on 'American Road' requires 1800~2000mb (<2GB) of video memory, so you'd be okay unless you added in lots of cars (which increases the memory requirement). High graphics detail on my Roane County Tennessee map requires 4gb of video RAM (multiple cars will send it north of the 4gb amount), so it differs by map. Not very many games require more than 4gb of VRAM, though, so you should be fine on medium detail.

That being said I am sure you can get at-least another 2~3 years out of that system, if you need another upgrade and have money down the road, consider a Solid State drive of 256~512gb variety (or larger, if you have the budget). Using an all-solid state machine here (built it 3+ years ago), don't regret it one bit. For content creation, and games with large data-sets like GTAV or Forza, it's really a god-send. Waiting for a hard drive for several minutes loading something feels like the 90's in comparison. The drives with 512~1024GB (1TB) are usually the best price-per-GB and will hold many games.

--Enjoy your new hardware.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Racermon

Racermon
    Expand Collapse

hmmmmm simple reason on the possible chance of it being a bottle neck is the pcie slot is running in x8 I am not sure if that would cause a issue

18. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Nope, wouldn't make more than a 1~2 fps difference, even on a 1080ti. That's why we still have PCI 3.0 on the newest boards and haven't gotten pci-e 4.0 yet. Not even close to topping that.
    I run my RX 480 8gb on my board at pci-e 3.0 x8 due to me having a server LSI MEGARAID card in the other pci-e x16 slot on a Z97 chipset here. It doesn't make any difference and this card is much faster, so worry not about that.
    A SSD is really the only upgrade that machine needs/could use. Sure they do make faster CPU's with more cores but other than the GHZ speed increase, it's not a night-and-day difference worth of spending a grand or close to it updating the motherboard, processor, and RAM especially the price of RAM now - and paying for a new copy of Windows to boot.
    So don't worry about it and enjoy your hardware.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

Wait, what if i just bought an entire new PC? With how old my computer is, I'd rather off be buying an entire new computer. My PC Is a windows 7 (got the windows 10 free upgrade) and it's about 4 years old. If i can find a good PC Under $500 (i currently only have 75 according to my bank account, which is inside of a Charger SRT8 model car) i may be able to play full screen at a good amount of fps for the first time of my life. These are the specs i want for a pc:

CPU: Honestly, anything over an i3, or 2.9GHz.

GPU: A GTX 950 at the lowest. no GT cards, they give me bad luck.

Motherboard: Something that's good.

I just want opinions, or help. Because i have not bought a new PC Since 2013. So my skills dropped.

So, should i buy a new PC Or just the GPU?

20. Jota3214™

Jota3214™
    Expand Collapse

Suprisingly, my Intel core i7 it's very good!, It can run PC2 (Project Cars 2) on medium graphics perfectly!, Even that my CPU, it's just 2.4 GHz on minimum speed, the GeForce GT 650M it's a bit good :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice