I got a new GPU!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by workclock1©, Dec 29, 2017.

?

Good?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2018.
  1. Yeah!

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Uhhhh

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. That poor GPU...

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

What's your average frames on like east coast?

2. Jota3214™

Jota3214™
    Expand Collapse

With vegetation and all the stuff, almost like 13 or 8 FPS, the 650M it's a bit outdated :D
    I can run perfectly the Nurburging map, the descent, Gridmap, Insane Testing, But, can't run American Road, and TENNESSE USA map :)

3. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

200$ The new i3 is the 8300 and 8350k (k = unlocked), it is quad core, 8 thread, like a 4xxx~7xxx i7 is (8300 is NOT unlocked)
    249~299$ The new i5 is 8600k, 6 cores, 6 threads, unlocked
    350~399$ The new i7 is 8700k, 6 cores 12 threads (hyper-threaded like i3 is too now), unlocked
    Whereas, conversely, previous gen stuff was 7700k, unlocked 4core 8thread, 7600k unlocked 4core 4thread, etc.
    This change is a direct response to Ryzen sales and core-counts to attempt to stifle competition from AMD by intel.
    16gb of RAM is good and plenty and should be for at-least 2 years, maybe more, but RAM is pricey right now!
    Expect to pay almost 10$ per GB of RAM or close to that at the current prices. What a rip!
    Video cards are very pricey too due to mining obsession going on BUT you just got one, so yay! you win!
    Motherboards for a good one is close to 200$, for a more mainstream board expect to pay 89~149$ depending on it's size, features, amount of VRM for the CPU, etc. Don't forget a good cooler for the CPU, as the stock intel one is still rubbish and the 6-core processors have issues holding steady turbos with the stock cooler (even my 4790k couldn't hold 4ghz let alone it's 4.4ghz turbo with stock cooling). Amount of VRM's on the motherboard only matters for overclocking stability and for high RAM speed stability. If you're keeping things stock, it's not much of a worry at all.
    A good CPU cooler is about 40$, less for a cheaper one like a Hyper 212 Evo that 'just' gets the job done, double that much for a better one that will 'just' keep it cool with possibly a mild overclock too depending on your CPU chip's individual ability (differs by chip, random, see 'silicon lottery' website for pre-binned & delidded chips with 1 year warranty).

This doesn't take into account a good case is around 60~120$, some fans if needing additional ones are around 15~25$ a piece for 120/140mm good ball-bearing fans or similar (DO NOT install sleeve-bearing fans HORIZONTAL, they die fast!).
    A copy of Windows (OEM Windows versions have been tied to the motherboard of the PC they're install on since XP) is around 100$, cheaper if you know where to get it on OEM sites especially if in bulk.
    An 8350k, with a z-series entry-level motherboard (won't need a fancy one to boost that) or an i5-8600k 6-core chip, some ram, a case, Windows 10 OEM, and maybe an extra fan or two + a cpu cooler can easily hit 600$ so I'd budget that much just to get you off the ground to a GOOD running start. You could build a Ryzen for much less - while it doesn't clock as high as the intel chips, it's roughly equal to the 6xxx series performance per-ghz, and is available with more cores for roughly half of what the intel chips were going for before the 8xxx series hit the floor. The Ryzen platform offers the availability and promise of better future CPUs being available for the same socket/board VS intel which, may as well come with the CPU soldered to the board as there is rarely to never any upgrade available unless you bought a very basic CPU to start with (pentium, celery etc).

So, that in a nutshell, it's not cheap, sure new processors are faster than yours - but with my 4790k, at 4.4ghz, I am looking at a MAX gain of 15% in SOME tasks, maybe 20% in encoding or heavy AVX-extension-enabled workloads, plus more cores, but that's not even worth close to 700+ $ in parts for me - it's barely worth a tenth that. So here I sit with my 4xxx-cpu based PC happily plugging away over THREE years after I built it. It's still as fast as the day I built it, actually, it's faster now. No complaints. It's not quite time to upgrade yet honestly. The 4xxx series is still very very relevant. Even the 2xxx series is still quite capable. You just aren't going to find the night-and-day difference even if you had a 2xxx pc unless it was only like 2.5ghz. 3ghz is borderline if you'd even notice, but honestly, you're not missing much. The ONLY big jump was the core count of 8xxx series, that's IT. So unless you can afford that almost-400$ i7 8700k, a REALLY good cooler (that chip runs HOT), a fancy motherboard to put it on, and a roomy case to put it in, it's NOT worth it. Be thankful for what you have, I know I am. When mine blows up I will repair it, not replace it entirely. I've still got many years of reliable service I intend to get out of my computer, yet.

When intel stops making cpu's with TOOTHPASTE Thermal Interface Material (between the silicon and metal lid), and produces a cool-running cpu that can hit 4ghz regularly, that's faster than my 3+ year old 4790k @ 4.4ghz, then fine, great, but I barely stand to gain 10% upgrading this one, and you would barely gain 30~40%. That's NOT enough to justify spending hundreds upon hundreds of dollars! You want double or better, plus many games do not make use of 6 cores, or more than 4 at all, if they even use that much yet (this Beamng.drive DOES use all cores if you have enough vehicles in play).
    For now, I'll keep my money, thanks - and you should keep yours too. Save it to fix your PC if it blows up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice