1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

I successfully got BeamNG.Drive running on my mac through Crossover :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zapology, Aug 8, 2013.

1. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

This NEEDS a sticky if any of the devs have seen it. I personally don't use a mac, but from my experience people that use them tend to not be so good at stuff like this (a more friendly interface attracts people who just want their system to work instead of spending hours fiddling with menu after menu, which isn't necessarily a bad thing), so a step by step video walkthrough to get the game running on a mac would stop all of the threads complaining about the game not being on Mac and potentially open up a wider customer base. I'm actually going to go reference this thread on the Mac FAQ section now. BRB

Edit, reference added to the FAQ. :) (no point in clicking the link as the FAQ edit just redirects here.)

#21 pulley999, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  2. Zapology

Zapology
    Expand Collapse

No problem man, glad I could help :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wait I'm in the FAQ?!

#22 Zapology, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  3. Pinecones

Pinecones
    Expand Collapse

How does it run in crossover? Is it any smoother than Wine? I'm still boot camping pretty much just to play this game, and I'd rather not be! :p

4. rub3n994

rub3n994
    Expand Collapse

When I try to launch it, it says, "fatal error BeamNg.drive.x86.exe could not be reached."

5. Velociround

Velociround
    Expand Collapse

This is awesome!

I may sound a bit crazy but apparently BeamNG is actually running considerably better on OS X Mavericks than on Windows 7 here (MBPR 15" 2013, OS X 10.9).

I'm on the latest CrossOver beta by the way, and it is awesome. Will be providing feedback soon.

Edit: well, I have now tested properly, I was mistaken, it was a placebo effect. The game runs very smooth on Mac (you can't notice the difference with just 1 car), but it runs much faster on Windows, the difference is very noticeable when you use multiple vehicles on the derby track.

#25 Velociround, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  6. aaronvonf

aaronvonf
    Expand Collapse

Just downloaded this for my son - who went off to school this morning crying because I couldn't get the game on ipad... He's been watching youtube videos of it for a while now...

So! As a determined parent I just got it working on my macbook pro, thanks to this guide - much respect to the authors and everyone who has contributed.

The game is working well so far - the only thing I'm finding is the vehicle selection doesn't work with the tab control... I know my son is going to bug the life out of me till he can drive all the vehicles... So can someone help me out with this??

Thanks in advance!
    Aaron

7. Neidjel

Neidjel
    Expand Collapse

I don't have a mac but do you mean vehicle selection or switching between multiple spawned vehicles? because you choose a different vehicle by pressing ctrl-E and tab is used for switching between multiple spawned vehicles

8. aaronvonf

aaronvonf
    Expand Collapse

Ahhhh! That's what I needed!! No spawned vehicles yet. Just wanted to select vehicle.
    Thanks very much :D

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Would be interesting if you could give some FPS comparisons on windows and OSX with differing numbers of vehicles to see how the 2 compare.

10. Pocketkid2

Pocketkid2
    Expand Collapse

How do I enable Mac Driver?

I cannot find the option to enable the Mac Driver anywhere! All the options in the Advanced menu are 'Use legacy X window system' and 'Disable Performace Enhancement Graphics'
    What do I do? I really want to play this!

EDIT: I just install and ran without changing it, and it runs just fine! I LOVE the FPS! its better than my windows machine, which has better specs and runs most other games faster...

#30 Pocketkid2, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  11. Creeperofhope

Creeperofhope
    Expand Collapse

I have been trying to install BeamNG Drive on my mac, but it won't work. Do you know how to do this in OS X El Capitan?

12. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

Beamng is now a directx 11 game, afaik crossover/wine only supports directx 9(not including experimental builds). You can however download the old directx 9 game version if you use steam, by going to the games beta tab under properties. Be warned though, most mods that are released now, will probably not work and havent been tested. Do not expect support on that branch either, because im pretty sure its support has ended. Someone correct me if im wrong though.

13. austint30

austint30
    Expand Collapse

Is it possible to get BeamNG running in Linux through Crossover?

14. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

Directx 9 or 11? @Atomix and a few others i think, uses dx9 beamng on linux i believe.I Think they use wine though. For directx 11, jmaybe if you use the latest expermental wine build? i have heard that directx 10 or 11(idk which) is supported. I think someone did try it and couldnt make to or past the menu screen. @SuperNoob05 is the one who did that i think.

15. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

Yup. With the DX11 build and (at the time) the newest wine experimental build, it either crashed at the splash screen or froze at it. I guess we'll have to wait for full DX11 support in Wine for it to run properly.

16. Svpracer

Svpracer
    Expand Collapse

I run .drive via bootcamp on my mac... I have played around with getting a wineskin version to work, but with little success :(. does anyone have the old tech demo laying around (i think i need a direct x 9 version for this to work).

17. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

If you read up a little, you would have seen that beamng has a dx9 build in the betas tab of the game in steam. Just use that.

18. Svpracer

Svpracer
    Expand Collapse

--- forget i said anything ---

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice