i7 870 overheat problem.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Bubbleawsome, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Superman

Superman
    Expand Collapse

Any update to the heat issue?

2. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Well, re did thermal paste, went down to 69c, after a week, back up to 76c. Re-turned off Hyperthreading, 75c, slowly going to 76. Waiting for my new cooler. We'll see!

3. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

Did you not mess up the voltage?
    Well I hope the new cooler fixes it, what are you getting?

4. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

For now, just underclock it slightly and undervolt as far as you can go. Remember, the voltage is what makes heat. Not the MHz. (My laptop can run on one volt at stock speed)

5. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

Not strictly true. While voltage is a big factor in CPU power dissipation, frequency is still plays a large role. P = CV^2f.

6. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

what does P,C,V and f stand for? We aren't all electricians and equations out of context don't help.

7. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

P = Power, C = Capacitance being switched, V = voltage and F = frequency. This is for dynamic power, there is also static power from leakage currents and such like. I'm not sure how much of the specified TDP is of static and how much is dynamic on modern CPUs, but I guess you can find out online someplace. I'm sure that I don't have the full picture on this topic, but I just wanted to point out that frequency does infact change the power, just not in the big way that voltage does.

8. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

yes, I've vaguely seen this before. When I saw that I thought you cited something specific to computer chips. Thanks for clarifying, and if chips work anything like capacitors, if C is charged and discharged by f and the peak value of V then charge(Q) you move in a cycle is CV, and charge moved each time a cycle passes is CVf (Qf=P=CVf). If charge is delivered at V, you should have a power loss per cycle P=CV[SUP]2[/SUP]f. But flip flops can only toggle once per cycle, so you should see that it ends up being 1/2*CV[SUP]2[/SUP]f. That is kind of like capacitor switching but we just see it dissipate power in a resistor as 1/2CV[SUP]2[/SUP]. I recognize that, so computer chips work the same way? interesting.

Anyway, I remember there's a static power dissipation to deal with and for some reason it omits frequencies. You will have to look that one up, but it seems that the reason changing the voltage works better than changing the frequency is because when you change the clock speed or frequency in the circuit you are only going to change the dynamic power loss, not the static one. You could also change the capacitance but I don't recommend sawing your CPU in half.

#28 Hati, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  9. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Dark knight II, didn't touch the voltage
    Might undervolt, IDK. Once I get a new PC (in a year or so) I'm volting to 1.45 and OC'ing all the way. :p Or using it as a server, I don't know yet.

10. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

WOAH! Playing a simple game (minecraft at normal and fast) and hit 80c. Going to dual core, disabling 3 & 4. :( Can't wait for my new cooler. I need a crying emoticon.

EDIT: My house it at 80F, I'm in the american south. :p

EDIT2: My idle temps, once the case is warmed up, are in the high 40's. XD Getting the cooler and a 50 CFM fan. It's be the only one in my case.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150105&IsVirtualParent=1

EDIT3: Came on this morning after a storm, 27 degrees here. I have it in dual core and it says this. ORRLY.png "Genuine Intel Processor" ? LOL

#30 Bubbleawsome, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  11. siebeiscool

siebeiscool
    Expand Collapse

ehhmm, ever thought about liquid cooling?
    it might be an expensive modification, but believe me its the best.
    my alienware has it and it never runs above 20degrees (european temprature mesure)

so.....
    you might wanna think about that.

12. Superman

Superman
    Expand Collapse

What Dell PC is this? You should contact Dell and see if it's still in warranty.
    Does you computer have an exhaust fan and is the stock cooler on properly? Have you tried resetting changes in the BIOS? Do you think these high temps are true as it may be a broken sensor. Is the cooler very hot to touch?

13. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I have but only have 1 92mm fan socket so not really an option.

Nope, got it in 2009. Studio XPS 8100.

Yes, one crappy 20CFM 92mm at-the-end-of-it's-lifespan fan
    Yes
    Yep
    Yep, the temps are right when mesured at load and not. Guestimated with a thermal scope. :p
    Nope, about 80F, way too cool, I know. Reset 4 times, just going to a new cooler.

14. siebeiscool

siebeiscool
    Expand Collapse

oh ok.
    then its no option.
    i gotta say the alienware desktop is also very big so it would definetly fit int here.
    but i didn't know the size of your pc

15. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

20C? what is your room temp, it's impossible for even liquid cooling to go below room temp, and staying so low is very hard, even for liquid cooling(your temp sensor might be wrong).

16. siebeiscool

siebeiscool
    Expand Collapse

well, i just looked it over and my pc says:

surrounding sensor 1: 25 celcius
    surrounding sensor 2: 25 celcius
    surrounding sensor 3: 25 celcius
    system fan is about 1200 rpm
    cpu pump: running

and this is my oficcial alienware thermal control panel.

17. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

That'll be the coolant temperature. The coolant doesn't heat up much at all because it moves so fast, it will be no where near the CPU temperature, which will be much higher.

18. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Download RealTemp and tell us what temperature readings you get with it, that'll tell you the real temperature inside the CPU, not any sensor outside.

19. siebeiscool

siebeiscool
    Expand Collapse

my highest on that was 45C

20. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

My cooler had a shipping problem so I cancelled and re-shipped. I have this as my case fan for now. WOOOO! I've gone from 30 CFM to 80 CFM. I bet I'll see a difference. My case B003LPUYKC-1.jpg I've been thinking of getting my case stamped like the pic below with an 1/8 inch overlap and having an acrylic pane put there. With an x3 92mm radiator. :p EPIC TIME!!

Attached Files:

• EPIC.png
    #40 Bubbleawsome, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice