1. This section is for official content brought to you by BeamNG. Please keep the discussion civil and posts constructive to avoid spam. Posts disregarding these guidelines may be removed without any notice.
    Dismiss Notice

Ibishu 200BX

Discussion in 'Official Content' started by gabester, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

The Burnside is a rather old model, and Gabe's current cars are much better, so I don't think there will be any "official" cars ported from Gabe's RoR mods.

Back to the 200BX, certainly my favourite official car, as well as the Miramar. I look forward to seeing it in-game :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. vicnitro

vicnitro
    Expand Collapse

Well since people are reviving peoples threads, I guess I'm going to do my part here with a question, what are Macpherson struts?

3. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

#143 Zappymouse, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  4. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I don't really understand what part of the suspension needs slide nodes. Couldn't you just make it with the current things. A control arm and a shock/spring thing. We have both of those. Someone please explain.

5. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure that it's the spring/coil, or strut, that needs the slide nodes. It is a bit confusing because at first it seems as though the spring/shock mounted from the body to the lower control arm would work, however i think the problem comes in with location. The strut part of a MacPherson strut can only move in a linear path, which is essentially what a slide node is, a node that moves in a linear path. I'm not certain, but i don't think the springs/shocks currently used in BeamNG are fixed to a linear path, so if you tried to make a strut now, it would not have a fixed linear path, and because this movement is the only thing controlling the strut, it would collapse. A slide node would prevent this from happening. Just another note, the slide node is not the same as a spring/strut, the only purpose of the slide node is to fix the spring/shock to a linear path.

That is at least how I think it goes, if someone knowledgeable (a Dev if possible) could confirm, that would be much appreciated;)

6. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that makes sense. I guess the springs/shocks aren't "rigid" enough to stay in place and not move back and forth and side to side.

7. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

That's the gist of it. A MacPherson strut's camber is located by sliding up and down the spring/shock, which is only possible to do with slidenodes. Other suspension systems use control arms to locate camber, which is easy to do already, but struts are a special case because they use the sliding action to locate the camber. Mechanically simple IRL, but not possible to simulate in BeamNG yet.

8. Jujune

Jujune
    Expand Collapse

But you guys work on it to make it possible, right? Would be cool if slidenotes also come with race update.

9. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

I'd imagine its kinda difficult to program it because if it was simple it would've been done by now. Eagerly waiting for this to become an option tho. Keep up they good work devs!

10. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

It's not that it's massively complex, it's just that our priorities lie elsewhere right now. The last thing we should do is add more features when we have so many bugs to fix right now.

11. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

I know this is a long shot, but have you ever thought of making the official vehicles open source? I mean, let people download the complete .DAE and try making the N/B. That would make the process of making cars quicker. They're only 2 downsides I can see, don't think that they're any more.

1. They might not match the "exact" specifications of the car eg. Power, Weight, gear ratios.
    2. They won't really be "official" cars. They would be semi official, mesh, and community, JBeam.

You could have a submission box for this, then the Jbeam that is most like the car can be tweaked by you guys. I honestly think this would quicken up the current WIP official dev cars.

#151 pf12351, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  12. TheFastRacer

TheFastRacer
    Expand Collapse

Just let Gabe make them, please! If anyone is going to make them, then the cars would not be that well made and the game wouldn't be fun anymore since the cars won't match quality. Just have patience!

13. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

I'd rather not do something like this. When slidenodes are implemented it'll be incredibly easy to finish up all these cars. I'm continuously getting better at the vehicle creation workflow and the more car part .jbeams I make, the more I can re-use and re-fit to match different vehicles. Eventually the car development process (from the .jbeam point of view) will simply be assembling and reshaping existing parts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Its honestly quite cool. I don't know of any other game where the developers are essentially creating a number of parts to build cars out of rather than filling in a file template with models, textures and variables.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

I would imagine a folder of basic jbeam configurations, like tire sizes, sedan, coupe, truck, mini car, etc. That would be brilliant.

16. stewbakka

stewbakka
    Expand Collapse

gabester, I just wanted to say (briefly off topic), keep up the good work! My favorite thing to do is work on my POS 03 Jetta GLI, and doing that has taught me so much about the physics and systems you are working so hard to put into this game. That fact that you have simulated so many different types of suspension systems already amazes me. Unfortunately being a broke college student, I cant mess around and push my beater to the test, but this game comes a long way to satisfying that :) Thank you so much for your work, and I must say, I love your modeling designs. And my final plug: More old-school cars!! (50s-90s). Cheers!

17. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

I wonder if this could be done with gabe's RoR cars. Although, the Burnside would have to have the handling of a Civetta Bolide.

18. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

So this car is still on hold due to slidenodes (struts), but I did go and rework a lot of the design with some feedback from friends (Mythbuster, Dennis-W, DrowsySam, and others):

coupe.jpg

I think it looks more Japanese and also identifies more with the Ibishu brand - you'll notice a lot of similarity in the rear to the Covet, for example.

19. jotaonze

jotaonze
    Expand Collapse

Awesomeness. Reminds me of a Mitsubishi for some reason...

20. RyujiSenpai

RyujiSenpai
    Expand Collapse

a LOT better, i really like it this way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice