Idiot repellant

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Hati, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spartan239

spartan239
    Expand Collapse

I think you guys are kind of thinking about the old RoR forum type stuff. They used to have a 'reputation' under their name. People would thank you (or something of that nature) and you would go 1+ and then if you said something bad you would go 1- and such. However, as I remember it, no one really cared about their reputation. Maybe a reputation based Member status system could be added to get everyone in line?

2. Alastair

Alastair
    Expand Collapse

The very old RoR forum's had a helpfulness points system. If you went to -5 I think you were automaticaly suspended or something. I think these points were only given by moderators though.

3. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

For the first 3 days I had that and had no idea it was only for mods and stuff, gave people lots of points, then the button disappeared and I never knew.

But back on topic, do you mean like on yahoo answers? You can become a super anwserer by being helpful and mature.

4. Alastair

Alastair
    Expand Collapse

No, like this system was back in the RRR days. Moderators wold give you points for being helpful. But it was very hard to get them, and you had to be like exceptionally helpful for them to give you them. Then for any rule breaking etc. or whatever, they would take them off you.

- - - Updated - - -

No, like this system was back in the RRR days. Moderators wold give you points for being helpful. But it was very hard to get them, and you had to be like exceptionally helpful for them to give you them. Then for any rule breaking etc. or whatever, they would take them off you.

5. Straubz

Straubz
    Expand Collapse

well i just logged in to find a useless advertising thread had just been started, which gave me the idea that if we had a word limit on our first 10 or so posts, it would be harder for people to make advertising threads or is there some other way to block them?

6. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

A bit off topic, but possibly relating to the +1 -1 system, what is the star next to the reply to thread button?

7. RangeRover184

RangeRover184
    Expand Collapse

Thanks tdev, you're awesome!

8. Straubz

Straubz
    Expand Collapse

its not really that off topic, this thread is about keeping idiots off the forum and people who only create accounts for advertising are idiots who create useless threads and posts, but since they only ever post 1 or2 times if we had a word limit on he first couple of posts we make it should stop most of them from rambling on about their products.
    But about this +1 -1 system i am not sure about how it works but i would just be happy with a like/thank button:)

9. Kookas

Kookas
    Expand Collapse

Also, why does this 'double-edit' thing happen? It happened to me before, too, but I edited it out, fixed it and assumed I had somehow accidentally pressed New Post instead of Edit.

By the way, the idea of reading a 6-page guide on how to use the forums seems like it would be a nuisance. I like the idea of being able to be repped by other forum members, but not everyone should be able to rate others down (because then you get things like rating down for personal reasons that aren't really fair). I'm not sure how it's been set up here, though.

Perhaps give people a reason to get to a certain rep level - just something simple like highlighted posts could work.

#49 Kookas, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  10. Dennis-W

Dennis-W
    Expand Collapse

I don't. People would have their buddies rate each other up, and like you said rate down other people for non forum related stuff.
    If it's there it will get abused.

I think all the rules should be enforced, no exceptions.
    A good team of active moderators that are able to enforce the rules are needed to keep a forum clean.

11. RedHorizon

RedHorizon
    Expand Collapse

I don't think it would be abused, and I'm basing that on two seperate forums, "World of Tanks" and "X-Plane". They both have a post ratings, and on X-Plane you can directly rate the other members. This is rarely abused, and when it is, it does so little to the user's rating it doesn't matter (if it is only one or two people rating them down).

12. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

I agree sounds like a good idea, I`ve noticed that quite alot of forums use this type post rating system and for the most part its used correctly and not abused.

13. disloyalpick

disloyalpick
    Expand Collapse

Hey Tdev, I've got a question. Would it be possible to add the post thing to the Rigs of Rods forums? It may cut down on all the idiots posting stupid replies.

Also something I was thinking, maybe you could make the text of the message bigger so that you would have to scroll to see the whole thing and the I accept checkbox does not become available untill you scroll to the bottom of the message. Just a suggestion, and I hope it gets put into effect. Thank you.

14. Kookas

Kookas
    Expand Collapse

Those don't actually work - people can just scroll down without reading it. Even if you enforced a scrolling speed they still wouldn't want to read it if they weren't going to already.

15. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

I'vwe jhad two bottles of wine, and I have to say, even being drunk As all everything, that this genuinely sounds like a bnad idea. we don't need vbogger text and I din't want to have to scroll to read things people say

16. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

... Sarcasm, or really drunk?
    FIND OUT TOMORROW FOLKS.

17. Dennis-W

Dennis-W
    Expand Collapse

I don't get it... You make a thread here to keep the idiots out of the forum, and a little over half a month later you come here and (like you admit) post under the influence of alcohol, which clearly affects your spelling and grammar in a negative way. That isn't a mature thing to do isn't it?
    In my opinion that makes you just as bad as the "Idiots" and "morons" you were talking about in your opening post.

This also shows that you disregard the post guard that you helped putting together.

18. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

when I'm drunk I have a sense of humour, defined as the ability to appreciate or express that which is humorous, humour being the quality of being funny and funny is regarded as causing laughter or amusement. That humour is very different from when I'm sober and I can still see the joke despite feeling like cyanide and massive boulders made of glass, sandstone and uranium have been injected into my brain with a hammer and chisel, and now even the slightest noise has become a massive explosion that tears my eardrum to pieces. If the behavior was genuinely improper then I do apologize in retrospect, for maybe being a slight hypocrite by spelling badly, and I can guarantee it won't happen again because I don't like hangovers.

Here's something I need to say about you. You would have a point of attacking my character if I did this habitually, but I don't. This is one-off incident. A single post. I came on drunk to make a joke and to say I think making the font larger in the post guard is a bad idea. The reason being (that I forgot to include earlier) is that I think large fonts are infuriating, they annoy me on sight and I don't think they encourage people to read them. I haven't damaged the forum with five misspelled words in a sentence that suggests I don't like an idea, I just haven't. Calm down and stop looking for a reason to claim a moral high ground over something because that's a genuinely desperate example. If I'd given abuse, insulted someone or did this more than once then I'd think you would have a point. Get off your high horse. This was deliberately one post, I didn't storm around the forum drunkenly saying stupid things, it was a single post made in jest.

I'm not justifying coming on drunk through, it seemed like a good idea at the time but it is a little bit embarrassing in hindsight.

#58 Hati, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  19. SeaDooSnipe

SeaDooSnipe
    Expand Collapse

So I see this should help?
    He's not looking for a reason to claim a moral high ground. He's stating that being drunk on a forum is pure stupidity. I don't see what is so good about saying you are drunk on the internet, if you didn't say that you wouldn't make yourself look extremely stupid.

20. Dennis-W

Dennis-W
    Expand Collapse

I'm not the one to decide whether or not it is improper according to the rules of this forum, but considering your previous made posts and your location I would say you simply showed disregard to the post guard you helped making like the way it is now.

Regarding that I was purposely attacking you; I did not meant to attack you in any way, I was just suprised on how one could do that after taking such effort to bring up suggestions and ideas to prevent an invasion of morons. I made a comment and gave my opinion about your recent "drunken" post after your previous made posts about "morons".
    Do you think it's mature to come on this forum and post something when drunk after you made a thread on how to keep the idiots away from the forum?
    I couldn't care more or less if you didn't create this thread, but if you come up with plans to keep morons out of here I would assume your wouldn't act like one. It is just immature, only if you did it just once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice