Intake chuff sound

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by AX53, Apr 1, 2018.

1. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

I know the sound system is under development. I've noticed in another game (assetto corsa) some cars have an intake chuff sound effect. A little sound that plays when you tap the throttle pedal. Basically it's triggered when delta throttle exceeds some value. A little "chuh" sound as the initial pressure wave hits the intake manifold. It would be cool to have the option to use such a sound

here is an example.

#1 AX53, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

At first i thought you were just another silly kid and you meant the BOV. But while this is a small detail i agree. Details make perfection and small things like these i think can be quite important. Although the video isn't good proof of this, the music doesn't help.

3. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

Yea the music doesnt help you're right.

perhaps this video shows it better

And that said, interchangeable/adjustable BOV sounds and turbo sounds would be very welcome too

4. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

Even Forza 2 had this effect. I agree, it would be cool.

And for the record, this is a seriously underrated suggestion, even if it is only aesthetics, it is still to achieve realism.

5. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Agreed, that's a nice effect!

• Like Like x 1
  6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I agree, details often are what makes or breaks things.

This kind of sounds help with blending/transition really nicely.

Another thing is volume adaptation, currently BeamNG has bit too fast adaptation of volume, ear usually takes some time to adapt, so when there is loud sound, it is not instantly adapted to that, but there is gradual adaptation with a time and for game I would think that several seconds average would work better than instant value.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

There's a lot of basic stuff to get right first, before we start adding "cherries to the cake" as it were.

As for your second point, I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to suggest here.

8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

For example when in game there is exhaust pop, engine sound immediately become very muted, however in real world, one pop does not really do that, but when you keep banging at the limiter and popping for a while, then you hear less of the engine.

While camrecorder can be lot faster to reduce gain, ear is slower.

Challenges in tuning this aspect are when there are desire to get crashing sounds overcome engine sounds, engine sounds overcoming nature sounds, where volume level of louder sound is so much greater than other sounds need to be cut immediately.

So it could be also just how individual sound's volume level is set.

All I know is that it sounds bit odd to engine to get quiet in volume with single exhaust pop, there is certain slowness in real world with my ears.

Of course it takes time until everything can be fine tuned and balanced perfectly, this sound system is still WIP, just first steps has been taken and it already shows huge promise and has improved game a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

OK, you're talking about what we call "ducking"

Regarding exhaust pops, in my experience, when there's the initial explosion within the exhaust pipe you lose most of, if not all, the exhaust tone during that explosion anyway - same will exhaust over-run, you don't get a lot of the normal tone when the vehicles is over running. We would do this in game by ducking the exhaust sound by the pop or over run. This isn't something we've looked at recently though..

Also, in my experience, this has proved to be difficult to get right with middleware audio systems since the compressor DSP you would use for the effect isn't quick enough and that's where you get the issue of the slowness. The DSP's release time is simply not quick enough. But yes, it is on 'the' list ;)
    --- Post updated ---
    Oh ,one final thing regarding the ducking. Most of Beam's engines are currently using combined engine/exhaust audio, so I wouldn't want to do this until we have separated out the engine and exhaust - then we can duck the exhaust without effecting the engine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Oh yes, indeed we have only one motor sound source currently and any attempts to finetune these effects would be doomed to fail indeed.

Separating exhaust and intake/engine part of the sound will really be huge thing. For me sound of the car has always been somewhat important and there has not been many games that has had this complex nature of engine sound nailed.

When I tested recording real car sounds, what I found out was that without recording exhaust and intake separately, there was no way to capture that wonderful dynamic change in tone that happens when driving.

With single good quality microphone sound can be ok like this:

But even with bit poor recording quality, with two microphone sound is really different level like this:

(I don't know any other recording that manages to capture that spirit of engine sound as well as that)

Now when game can play those two sound from different locations, that must bring goosebumps and lots of!
    Also how anything from engine mounts are adding their own little variation, in BeamNG there is huge opportunity as there is engine mounts simulated, so all that variation has possibilitiy to be transferred to sound in change of rpm and load, etc.

Difficulty to pull off perfect audio is incredible, but that is where passion drives one on and satisfaction of success will be far greater than settling with just some sound, really looking forward of developments in this area as I might be very slightly passionate about audio side of things :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. alex hart

alex hart
    Expand Collapse

If the game sounded like this, I'd never leave my PC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I might of 'accidentally' forgot that clip to play for last 30 minutes, there is no denying it, that is eargasm material and if game can reach even half of that I would start losing weight because I would not have time for such minor aspects like eating :p

But think about this, we have exhaust power and turbo simulation kind of 'knows' how much exhaust there will be, that can be used as a factor for exhaust sound volume, there are no other game or sim that have such possibilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

So yes, I have years of experience recording cars on track rather than on dynos - normally using an 8 channel rig, going all the way up to F1 (I used to work at Codemasters). Beam is a bit different to most games (except Gran Turismo) in that most games concentrate on racing and motorsports cars... so they have a really good starting point with cars which simply sounds great.. Beam of course, like GT starts with base models that you could find in a dealership. You can't record the majority of these on track, or on a traditional dyno, since they're simply too quiet - you'd get over run by surface or roller noise. There is one system we can use, but you can't record decels.... so Beam is currently using an approach not that different to GT, which is more synthesised approach and therefore in some ways more accurate but in other ways less exciting. Still, we do need to get that engine/exhaust separation - it's so important.

Actually, we should really move this to the Audio Feedback thread really ;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice