interactive gear stick

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by sim-jim, Jan 11, 2018.

1. sim-jim

sim-jim
    Expand Collapse

this idea came to me when i was playing spintires, as it has a gearstick that you control with your mouse. i would love for this feature to be in the game, as i find oddly fun to shift gears.
    after i was done playing spintires, i did some digging to see if there's a mod for this,if it was in development, or if somebody had asked for it previously, and found that someone else had put up a suggestion. unfortunately, only maybe 1 or 2 people saw it, so i'm making this, in the hopes that it will gain popularity.

2. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Would be pretty cool to play with an interactive stick that isn't attached to a person for once.

I'm joking but this is a pretty good idea for keyboard/mouse users

3. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

I'll be honest... that one took me a second to understand, but I've got you... I see what you did there ;)

Anyways, how would you plan to go about shifting it? Just like spintires with the mouse or do you have another idea in mind? I personally would love to get a force feedback Joystick (I don't even know if that's a real thing) and set it up for shifting... I feel there would be a lot of potential there for realism.

4. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Imagine a shifter that locks out gears based on engine RPM and wheel speed, and grinds like hell when you try to force in a gear.
    They could even code in a random chance of the gear going in without the clutch that would increase the closer you are to the ideal RPM/speed for that gear, to simulate shifting without a clutch.

5. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

The issue has been already discussed. I assume that it would be too hard to properly animate a shifter that moves together with your IRL shifter peripheric.

6. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

It shouldn't be too difficult... I mean... we had it back in RoR with an amazing little patch that was coded by Lifter... so I don't see why we couldn't have it in BeamNG.

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, I remember seeing videos and people discussing about FFB shifters over 10 years ago.

Quick search gave me this:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice