Introduction to Vehicle Creation - Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by B25Mitch, Nov 26, 2014.

1. BlueIceCraft

BlueIceCraft
    Expand Collapse

I don't have any wheels in the .dae file. I just wanted to see them in debug mode. In the tutorial here he has only jbeam wheels first too, before modelling them in Blender.

2. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

Small piece of feedback: I think it's useful to teach people to name their jbeams as vehiclename_partname. So instead of axles.jbeam, it would be tug_axles.jbeam... to me, that makes it much easier to everything nice and neat while working on the vehicle :) Cool that you're doing this btw, hadn't seen it before. Gonna go through the whole thing to see if there's anything else...

I might've missed it, but telling people they can name nodes into whatever they like might help them to make it easier to keep their jbeams neat. I always prefer to keep node names within 1 jbeam file the same length. For example, if I have 5 nodes in the width of a vehicle, Gabe usually names them:
    axle1ll, axle1l, axle1, axle1r, axle1rr.
    What I do, is I name them axle1ll, axle1cl, acle1cc, axle1cr, axle1rr. That way they're all the same length, so the lines in my nodes and my beams section are the same length. So if I need to copy the beams in the width along these nodes to a second set of 5 nodes, I can just copy the line and vertical-select the 1, and change it to a 2. Saves a lot of time.

That's all I can say about it I think. Very good and clear tutorial :)

#42 Mythbuster, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
  3. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

I'm not too sure where to look as I haven't worked with wheels specifically yet. But you could try making the .jbeam file name and the folder names match (I think the file/folder names can't have spaces, but underscores in place of spaces are ok). Alternatively you could look for a typo in the wheel file.

4. TheJStrickland

TheJStrickland
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, I've followed this tutorial until the part where you test if the J-beams actually enter into Beam NG. The vehicle file I created isn't in blender, and I've changed the File format to anything I could think that would work. The folder with the name.cs are both in the vehicle file under Drive.beam whatever, but it just isn't working. What have I done wrong?

5. Vailos Quiet

Vailos Quiet
    Expand Collapse

what would the engine settings be under i could not find them and would love to tune some cars:D

6. RallyDriva

RallyDriva
    Expand Collapse

I've followed the steps and when I tried putting the folder in both the mods and content/vehicles folders, in zipped and unzipped forms, but whenever I try to load up the car, it crashes the game. Help?

7. CaddyCar02

CaddyCar02
    Expand Collapse

Ok so I started to use the " jbeam real time vehicle editor " and when I went to load a vehicle there was none in the list but I looked a the path and put the vehicle folder under the path it was going to. When I go to load a vehicle it says there's an error on a line in some text and it says that for all of the vehicles, so if anyone know how I can fix that please help and I will keep you guys updated with my progress.

8. JackAttak

JackAttak
    Expand Collapse

I'm surprised that you somehow missed this in the thread's title.
    5bcd8521e7.png
    And all the recent posts on that thread...
    e00d83008e.png

9. CaddyCar02

CaddyCar02
    Expand Collapse

ok your right. So how do you edit vehicls then?

10. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

notepad++ or the notepad that comes with windows

11. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

Real-Time-Vehicle-Editor-Alpha-12-released-!-New-UI-icons-duplication-plenty-of-fixes/page8

Just look for my posts on that page. I described a work-around if you really want to use the editor.

- - Edit - -

It seems that the editor is more of a creator only now. So... you can't modify official vehicles with it anymore and you can't add recent vehicle features either (ex. pressureWheels), but you should still be able to do the basic stuff like node, beam, and c-triangle placement. In its current state it is a little sketchy though. If you still plan on using it, save and back-up your work very frequently.

(will there be an "I told you so." coming my way any time soon?)

Sorry, to anyone I've inconvenienced.

This works too, and is the most supported method of editing/creating vehicles. BAREBONES EDITING FTW!!

#51 luchvk, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  12. CaddyCar02

CaddyCar02
    Expand Collapse

ok thanks!;)

Attached Files:

• jbeamproblum.jpeg
    #52 CaddyCar02, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  13. zloganrox08

zloganrox08
    Expand Collapse

So i followed the tutorial as close as i could, but when i went to load the vehicle in-game, i would go to vehicle selection and nothing would appear. like there was no option to select the "tug" something i noticed was that when i copied the beams and nodes from blender into my notepad file, they were all... in the wrong spot if you will. basically i had to click before each line of code and hit TAB twice to get them to line up with the rest of the node lines. I'm working on restarting the process from the point where you extract the file, so if i fix my own problem, i'll let you know, but until then i'm kinda at a hault.

Edit: I apologize for the double screens on that screenshot, i'm extending my display onto a second monitor, but the picture on the left is demonstrating what i was talking about when i said the lines of code weren't lining up and i had to hit tab for them to line up

Update: I got the name to appear in the game, but when i click on the vehicle to spawn it, theres a small rectangle on the ground, and when i hit K for beams, it doesnt do anything, and if i try to move the camera, nothing happens(other picture)

Attached Files:

• Tug.txt

File size:
      4.4 KB
      Views:
    • Tug.cs

File size:
      21 bytes
      Views:
    • screenshot of problem.jpg
    #53 zloganrox08, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  14. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

This may not help you with your current issue, but it may help you if you need to indent a large number of lines: You can actually highlight the lines that you want to indent; then you could simply press Tab as many times as you desire. Notepad++ will do this to all of the highlighted lines simultaneously. So you don't have to go through indenting them individually.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. zloganrox08

zloganrox08
    Expand Collapse

Cool thanks, i was afraid to do that because i didn't want to replace every line of code with spaces.

16. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I understand what you mean, but you could always just undo if something that massively bad happens.

17. zloganrox08

zloganrox08
    Expand Collapse

This is true.

18. smileyguyz

smileyguyz
    Expand Collapse

Can you add more detail to the Blender part? I cannot figure out how to use it. But still, thankyou! It's helping me learn Jbeaming, though,:) which is what I want to do mainly because I cant model well even if I knew how.

19. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

Blender is a program of it's own. So I don't think you'll see many in-depth tutorials here for using Blender. However, there's a vast amount of tutorials on Youtube. All you have to do is do a search for what you want to do and, more times than not, you'll find many different tutorials relating to your search.

20. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

Got my first beams and nodes in game! but the structure is too strong it wont deform, how do I get it to be weaker?

beams in game.PNG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice