IoT devices (aka smart devices)

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by PriusRepellent, May 14, 2018.

1. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

I'm not including smartphones in this. Those existed before the start of the IoT era. What's your opinion of them? Personally I think some of them are pure gimmicks (some of them can be fun though like the smartwatches are cool). Smart TVs seem a bit redundant to me, but I do like mine.

2. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

seems like a security vulnerability to me considering most things don't have much for protection

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mr.Blueboy

Mr.Blueboy
    Expand Collapse

I'm a smart dev... Wait. Ok, I'm smart, but not a device.
    I honestly think loT devices are kind of "silly".

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

There are some uses for IoT, but for many cases there are more secure, yet older way of doing exactly same thing.

Smart home management from workplace could be one useful IoT case, but of course even that would be possible to handle via GSM connection which would be more secure, even if management app would run on web page. With IoT connecting devices and appliances to management app will be easier though.

So many devices are IoT just for sake of being IoT that it is ridiculous, but maybe with time that will refine as new solutions will arrive and IoT becomes everyday stuff like mobile phones did long time ago. Mobile phones were bit of an gimmick at first, at least for common man.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice