1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Is it Possible To Change Vehicle Colors yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quotation, Aug 4, 2013.

1. SacredTauri

SacredTauri
    Expand Collapse

D:\BeamNG-DRIVE-0.3\vehicles\pickup and you'll see the materials.cs file. Right-click and open with notepad or notepad++.

2. FastestClassic

FastestClassic
    Expand Collapse

Nadeox1: I meant a dark red, not a bright red (sort of a burgundy-ish red, not the red when you put "1 0 0 1" as the diffusemap[2] in the materials.cs), but meh... you do have a point. It's almost the same thing. Sorry, I'm just OCD like that ;)

Anyway, thank you ScorpyX, that method helped a lot. Finally got the colour I wanted on the Civetta Bolide (a bright orange) and the burgundy red on the Grand Marshall :D

EDIT: I have another question. Is it possible to change the colour of the wheels? I've tried the method ScorpyX used, just on the wheel textures, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

#22 FastestClassic, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  3. Callisto89

Callisto89
    Expand Collapse

My white D15 :p

lHOyX2c.jpg eNsJyEc.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also how do whe do the colour black ???

4. CarbineCrazy

CarbineCrazy
    Expand Collapse

It's a tad slow of a reply for you, but I'll show you how I do it.

Head into the /BeamNG DRIVE/vehicles/<vehicleofyourchoice> folder, before opening the materials.cs folder. Head down to the "diffuseColor[2]" line, which is just a short scroll down. The RGB formula for black is 0 0 0, so proceed to place that into the sections if it's not done already; like so:

diffuseColor[0] = "1 1 1 1";
    diffuseColor[1] = "1 1 1 1";
    diffuseColor[2] = "0 0 0 1";

Now, as you can see it reads "0 0 0 1", meaning 0 on the Red Scale, 0 on the Green Scale and 0 on the Blue Scale. Except we have one extra digit, that being the 1. This is the 'Alpha' scale, as said by another poster. You can use this scale to set the darkness of the black, a higher number equalling a darker black. For instance, I use 1.6 in that line, as it gives the car the black you may desire, but gives the car a very slight reflection. You can set this number to 2 if you want the car to appear as if it's a matte-black colour.

Here's my Grand Marshal 'Federal', sporting a 1.6 on the Alpha scale:

2013-08-06_00007.jpg

Hope that helped some people. The Alpha scale can be used on any colour to make it more vibrant, or to make it lighter.

5. ScorpyX

ScorpyX
    Expand Collapse

CarbineCrazy: well alpha transparency more than 1.0 (100%) not good in some case
    BUT Who cares OhMyGod it worked - now i regret nothing too

pimp_van.png

FastClassic: yes - wheel disks can be sepatare model - and Tire have model too
    try search it in material list of vehicle
    and you can not found "Tire" settings in materials file of car because Tire have own model and materials file
    aslo tire model entirely or only tire material can be use on defferent models \ cars \ places.. (beware)

#25 ScorpyX, Aug 6, 2013
  6. CarbineCrazy

CarbineCrazy
    Expand Collapse

Aha! I thought that initially, but I turned out to work. Those windows look slightly tinted. Did you change some of the other diffuses there?

7. ScorpyX

ScorpyX
    Expand Collapse

CarbineCrazy: i change alpha channel in diffuse texture of window to make it darker
    (because alpha channel used in materials like "lerp transparency")
    and "kill" (remove) specular texture of window in materials
    because i dont know why but specular tint color not worked above specular texture
    (but in this case specular texture dont have some nice details - and can be removed)
    after i just change "specular tint color" and "gloss power"(its number slider at specular - "like how wide blod of specular")

by the way - anyone can easily instead Tint color change diffuse texture such as adding pictures \ patterns \ lines..
    Like so

Video here

l8i6.png

PS. the point is - all stock cars now have some complex multi-layered materials
    but anyone can make own any type material for car
    and even more - people can make own skins - without need to replace original material
    (but i dont know how to use skins yet.. - I have seen that objects have this option "skin" )
    (i think Torque 3d manuals can help.. but that's just a guess)

ADD: well I understand that for many it will be difficult to create a new materialit
    seems require a detailed tutorial on how to create different materials for their vehicle

#27 ScorpyX, Aug 6, 2013
  8. duramax3500

duramax3500
    Expand Collapse

I've searched everywhere, I can't even find the Beam NG Drive 0.3 folder on my computer.

------UPDATED------

I found it. Thanks.

#28 duramax3500, Aug 6, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice