Is it possible to create this suspension?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Sevennemesis, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Sevennemesis

Sevennemesis
    Expand Collapse

if you follow me, I am creating a Lancia Delta HF integrale EVOII 1993 HERE

I'll start creating mechanics, but, I wonder if it is possible to create this suspension ( check images bellow )...

Front

(imported from here)

Rear

(imported from here)

Thx! :D

2. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

I bet modeling all those tiny suspension parts is a big job, best of luck man!

3. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

I believe the back is. That's a Trailing arm set up right? But the front is not, MacPherson struts are not possible yet.

4. Sevennemesis

Sevennemesis
    Expand Collapse

if I create the suspension MacPherson, but I program which works exactly like a orginal vehicle beamng, do you think it could work?.

or create exactly the same suspension from other car in Beamng and adapt to my car?

5. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

I suppose that would work, I guess it wouldn't be 100% accurate but I've seen gabester mention multiple times that MacPherson type suspensions can't be made. I do not know which part cannot currently be made to work in game...

6. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

I believe it's "slide nodes".

Meaning, the action of the strut sliding inside itself cannot be duplicated in-game yet. That's why there are double wishbones with springs, and multi-link axles with shocks.

Kinda interesting to me since my 89' mazda has MacPherson front and twin trapezoidal rear.

7. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I believe it is, if you know what your doing.

8. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

I knew it was slide nodes but I didn't know what couldn't be recreated in game from the real thing. It should be do-able in a similar way now however..

9. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Couldn't you just define two beams joined like so n1---n2---n3 to simulate the strut if you set precompression of n2n3 to an appropriate amount, while making n1n2 incompressible to simulate the extension/compression limit of the suspension? n1 being the bottom node that connects to the hub, n3 being the top node where the coil should be.

10. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

One would assume there would be reinforcement to ensure the strut stays straight. I was only outlining the strut, not the whole suspension setup. Unless I'm missing something substantial, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

11. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

12. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Any particular reason why this wouldn't work?

Attached Files:

13. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

After running detailed and complex simulation, I have come to the conclusion that it would look approximately like this:
    4IYks.png
    There is no way in hell that that would work. There is no rigidificaton. Nothing holding it all together. It would fall into a mess of delicious node and beam soup. Take a look at the basic NB physics tutorials and articles on both the BeamNG and Rigs of Rods wikis. While there are some major differences between RoR and BeamNG, the basic physics concepts and ideas are quite similar.

14. Dennis-W

Dennis-W
    Expand Collapse

I can verify that the above displayed complex simulation results are over 99% accurate.

15. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

.-.

Do I really need to point out that I've omitted the rest of the car for simplicity's sake (and the fact that I'm really lazy)?

Let's assume that the rest of the n/b was there, and the suspension was tacked onto it properly so it doesn't just explode when you spawn it.

16. Dennis-W

Dennis-W
    Expand Collapse

No, we understand that.
    What you really need to do is read up on how node and beam structures work, there is no rigidificaton... It will collapse on spawn.

If (even with your lacking knowledge how this engine works) you manage to make a rigid frame and add your suspension to it it would roughly look (depending on your frame shape and dimensions) like this:
    suspension no work.png

17. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

look there, those should be possible in beamng as well: http://www.rigsofrods.com/wiki/pages/RoRBook/Suspension (some only when we got around to add slidenodes)

18. Dennis-W

Dennis-W
    Expand Collapse

All those displayed on that page are possible right now. Suspension wise it's pretty much only the simplistic mcpherson strut and realistic steering racks that require slidenodes, not to mention all the other great things you can do with them ;).

19. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Perhaps you guys are right. I'm still building it for shits and giggles. ;)

20. Dennis-W

Dennis-W
    Expand Collapse

It won't explode, it will simply collapse and all the sticks and dots will be laying on the ground.

21. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

You should still try and build it if you want, then you will be able to see where your design fails and then try and fix it. http://www.rigsofrods.com/wiki/pages/RoRBook/Rigidity might also help you understand rigidity in node and beam.

22. Sevennemesis

Sevennemesis
    Expand Collapse

wow, the suspension is very complex parts! I think I'll take an existing suspension and I working on the behavior.

23. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

The suspension is actually pretty simple. It's damn near the same thing as a Toyota Camry as far as layout, or many Subaru's. Unfortunately it can't be accurately replicated without slidenodes. :\

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice