Is it possible to install windows or any linux distro on an android phone?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Joeyfuller2000, May 11, 2017.

1. Joeyfuller2000

Joeyfuller2000
    Expand Collapse

I want to know if it is possible. I don't mean one of those emulators, I mean replace the whole android os with windows or a linux distro.

2. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I don't know exactly, but some ARM distributions might work (Windows 10 ARM, Raspbian, etc.). They probably won't, but it's worth a shot. If you're talking normal disrros like Ubuntu or Windows 7 then a definite no.

3. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

You're going to want a specialized build. Ubuntu has builds for mobile phones, you just have to make sure that your phone is supported.

4. Possibly_Pos

Possibly_Pos
    Expand Collapse

Couple years ago I was looking for this exact thing just for a little fun on my nexus 7. This guy explains how he does it. Alot simpler then the one he did before this one.

5. Joeyfuller2000

Joeyfuller2000
    Expand Collapse

That uses an emulator though. I was talking about removing the original OS and putting linux or windows on it.

6. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

I retract my statement. Ubuntu has stopped development for the Ubuntu Touch version of Ubuntu. However, UBports has picked the project up, so you may still be able to do it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Possibly_Pos

Possibly_Pos
    Expand Collapse

My mistake. Turns out I can't read in the morning...

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Consider windows is compiled for x86 or x86_64 devices with ACPI and either BIOS or UEFI present. Android handsets are ARM without ACPI, BIOS or UEFI. Theres a few x86 android handsets, very very very rare, they still dont have proper ACPI or BIOS support.

So answer? No to windows.

As for linux. Android is a linux distro already.

9. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

I don't mean to nag, but he wouldn't be asking if he didn't want to dick around with his phone. And Android doesn't really resemble Linux as most people would think.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice