1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Is this the most realistic driving/racing sim according to some of you guys?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrwallace888, Jun 19, 2020.

1. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

computers would be able to run it, it's just that it would most likely put way more load on the system, meaning you would need a currently very high end pc to run it.
    really, the biggest hurdle (afaik) would be rewriting the core physics engine to make everything run for twice as many physics frames.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

That would be me, lmao.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Trophy

Trophy
    Expand Collapse

And me. For 5 years, I have been mastering the keyboard, now it shall be time for me to leave keyboardvill and join wheelton.

Sorry for offtopic

• Like Like x 1
  4. mrwallace888

mrwallace888
    Expand Collapse

I've used keyboard since I played the 2013 tech demo. Though it was easier in the older versions since the cars were much floppier and fun lol

Though I started using an Xbox Controller recently. I remember never using it because I didn't like how it felt, but after fiddling with some bindings (I made bindings similar to Forza Motorsport 4 in a way) it feels a lot better.

5. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

I didn't have any problems with it, and I passed it twice.

6. FS16

FS16
    Expand Collapse

they fixed most of the issues down the line, but i played in on launch day and it was absolutely unfinished and broken

7. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

I also played it on launch... but I don't remember it being "broken"

Unfinished, sure, but it never crashed, stuttered, had any general errors, or anything that would necessarily deem it as being broken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. hubert2005 kam

hubert2005 kam
    Expand Collapse

The force feedback on some high end wheels is really bad also the cars don’t have any lateral grip when turning I would say iracing,asseto corsa and asseto corsa competition,rfactor and automoblista are much better

9. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

After spending a brief hiatus playing Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2, the cars don’t feel as planted as they should, and the amount of corrections that you have to make feels a bit excessive. So is it the most realistic driving sim? Maybe, but probably not. It could just be laid at the feet of most cars not having their suspension tuned very well, etc. It would seem that the tires or sense of speed is off.

What it is, though, is almost preposterously detailed in all aspects. Nothing is off limits, because everything is simulated. As a whole package, nothing comes close to Beam, but if your goal is to whip everything around a racetrack, which can be done in Beam, your money and time is better spent on Assetto Corsa. But, that being said, Beam is a much more satisfying overall package, so I would say that it is the best game out there as a pure vehicle simulator.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. FS16

FS16
    Expand Collapse

alright, maybe broken was too strong, but with low fps, broken lighting, weird lighting glitches, graphics glitches, sound bugs and pretty bad AI it was playable at best. i left it sitting and only finished it a year later with almost everything fixed and actually enjoyed it. kinda repetetive, but not at all a fundamentally bad game. just a shame it was pushed out too early and got a shitty reputation.

11. galaxynote2

galaxynote2
    Expand Collapse

I think binding the clutch as the left up thumbstick is a must. Having a gradual control of the clutch helps a lot to simulate driving at low speeds without any kind of arcadey assistance. It makes turning at low speeds harder, but it's way better than having it in L2/LB as an on off switch.

12. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Well see... that's part of why I personally think Beam IS the most realistic out there. Even without the tire model being 100% done yet, Beam feels the closest I have ever felt to real life driving in all aspects of driving... not just high speed.

For instance, most of the cars in Beam aren't race cars or hyper cars... they are just run of the mill regular old automobiles... They are meant to be ordinary because they are ordinary. Sure, they all have a slew of parts on them that can end up making them extraordinary... but for the most part, at the basic structure and suspension level, they are still that bargain basement car. Pretty much the only exceptions to that rule is the Civeta and the SRB4.

Now I bring this up for a reason. Most people complain that Beam has really bad force feedback, and while I will agree that it doesn't feel super communicative in most cars, I would also argue that... well... it shouldn't be :p

Like I said before, most of the cars are bargain basement cars. Cheap machines focused around basically just being sold for profit to the masses. I am going to use the Sunburst as an example here mostly because it most closely matches a car that I currently have. A Subaru Impreza. (now I know we don't like to compare Beam cars to real life counterparts, but I think you will all agree that at its most basic structure, the Sunburst most closely relates to an Impreza... especially in the suspension department)

I bring this up because the Sunburst has relatively ok FFB from what I remember (it's been a bit since I played with a wheel). It doesn't communicate a lot, but if you hit a pothole or a curb, you'll definitely feel it. The same can be said for the real life car... in fact... I would argue that the Sunburst is a little TOO good as it doesn't have to contend with friction in all its joints like my real life car does. My real life car, it has almost no feedback through the wheel whatsoever. You can feel potholes and large bumps, but much more than that, and I wouldn't blame you for thinking you were in a video game. The forces are just not communicated at all. If the car starts to under or oversteer, it's up to you to feel that in other ways... other ways that Beam just can't communicate to you through the wheel alone.

If we hop over to a different car though, this time a mod because it most closely resembles another one of my cars, things get much better. The Fieri mod most closely resembles a Fiero in real life... I think that no one will really argue with me on that one. Like my Fiero, it has very similar suspension setup, and most of the weight is over the rear tires rather than the front, plus, my real Fiero has no power steering (because they were never sold with any) which means that you can feel a lot more through the wheel than most cars. Sure enough, when driving the mod, it almost feels EXACTLY like driving my real car... like... it is so damn close it's almost scary. Now, again, you don't get a ton of feedback, but you get enough to make you understand what all is going on under the tires. The same can be said for the Fieri. You get ok feedback, enough to let you know, truthfully, what exactly is going on.

So... whats my point.

What I am getting at is that suspension geometry in Beam MATTERS. It 110% matters for FFB because the FFB is literally just calculated off the forces being transmitted through the hydro that is doing the steering. If your vehicle has bad steering/suspension geometry in real life (thus no feedback) and then you go and create it in game, it will, again, have realistic levels of FFB... basically none. If you take something that has fantastic suspension/steering geometry in real life, then, again, it will have much better FFB in game.

Unlike most games which just take the forces off the calculated tires and don't really feed it through any suspension components, Beam simulates everything. You have 6 linkages in your steering system before it touches the tires? Your gonna feel that in the FFB... good luck doing that in Asseto or any other game for that matter.

So... the ultimate test... If we were to find what the most communicative car was in real life, and then faithfully recreate that in game... I would be willing to bet it would actually have some pretty decent FFB in Beam.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  13. esesel

esesel
    Expand Collapse

I'd agree that beams ffb is a little jittery if you don't have the wheel set up right, but it perfectly communicates all you need, grip loss, weight transfer, torque steer in high power fwd cars... As already stated correct wheel setup is vital, ffb clipping could explain some of your problems, also it helps to have a direct drive wheel, as countersteerong is much more responsive

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. 2007 BMW M5

2007 BMW M5
    Expand Collapse

In my opinion YES

15. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

Show me another game where you can literally wrap a car around a tree. BeamNG is the first game I've ever seen with that kind of damage simulation. If damage is what you want, I don't think you're going to beat Beam for how satisfying it is. BeamNG.Drive is the GMod of auto sims. Just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. hubert2005 kam

hubert2005 kam
    Expand Collapse

the ffb feels very wired in beamng it felt ok on my old Logitech g29 but on my fanatec cls its terrible i drive force feedback off in beamng asseto corsa and most other racing sims have alot better force feedback the cars in beamng feel very unstable

17. kwai38

kwai38
    Expand Collapse

no sir, the pidgeon isn't that only car in the game
    jk, personally I think Beam is very realistic(Xbox 1 controller boy), and i really do enjoy driving here

18. mrwallace888

mrwallace888
    Expand Collapse

Controller FFB is a bit garbage though but I believe that's in the works still?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mrwallace888

mrwallace888
    Expand Collapse

I had made this thread several months ago, but now that we received another update and handling was overhauled, while we still don't have tire wear and thermals as of yet, have any of you guys changed your opinions?

20. Lauttapoika

Lauttapoika
    Expand Collapse

I could certainly tell that the tire physics were lacking even though I am no expert what comes to handling. There had been several issues: indefinite line between skidding and proper traction, poor steering response time and a bit too much of understeering even in lower speeds. In addition to that, what is really important to me is the skid sounds in relation to physics. I got so excited about the new update once I saw these both being addressed!

Despite of handling in BeamNG being inferior to that in many racing simulators I've always admired the handling physics in BeamNG more because there are so many more elements involved in it: every part has their own properties and they act in relation to others. I could almost feel the torque traveling from the engine through the body to the wheels and the tires working hard keeping a firm hold of the road, whereas in other games the feeling isn't so intense.

When I tried out the new version of BeamNG, I was immediately able to feel the difference in handling. It's definitely much more precise now, there is less oversteering and I can feel the tires grabbing the ground when gaining traction.

Due to no tire wear and thermals the tires act the same no matter how long you drive. I am really looking forward for them being added in the game. Nevertheless, I am very happy about the current state of the physics and knowing that they are being improved with pure dedication.

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice