java.. lua.. jbeam... can we also add C++ and Ruby?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by MuzzleVelocity, Apr 6, 2016.

1. MuzzleVelocity

MuzzleVelocity
    Expand Collapse

i'm sure there are reasons for this, and it must have been discussed before, but why is the game developed in such a hodge-podge manner?

im not trying to be disrespectful of the developers, but I'm just trying to understand if there are "historical" reasons why we're stuck with so many different programming paradigms, or is there actually a reason for it?

2. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

It's a very typical thing for game developers to do.

Jbeam can be discounted since it's not a programming language.
    Lua is a scripting language, commonly used in AAA games, as well as BeamNG. It provides developers the ability to create additions to the game with ease.
    I'm guessing by Java, you mean JS (JavaScript). It's used in the UI since HTML is pretty capable to do UI things.

In the end, it just makes things easier :)

3. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Every language has their usage. Writing everything in one language does not mean it is better.

We use C/C++ for the parts that need performance. Lua for the easy-to-change parts that represent mods and gameplay to keep the integration time low. JS/HTML because that is the tech our UI framework uses.

• Like Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice