Jeep MB

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by DesertCanine, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Jhawk163

Jhawk163
    Expand Collapse

If you need a 'beta' texture just hook up the guy that made the hells jeep mod and ask to borrow his textures

2. DesertCanine

DesertCanine
    Expand Collapse

UPDATE!
    Sorry for the absence, some things got in the way, anyway, I've continued work on the vehicle, here's what I have so far since the last update.

Things to model:
    underside stuff such as mufflers, and transmission do-hickey
    more engine bits and stuff, at the moment it's a bit bare
    interior console (speedometer, etc), shifter knobs, and pedals
    probably a machine gun or two

Things to texture:
    all of it

Things to program:
    all of it
    XQxx1RR.png <- woo, headlights and windshield. I've basically finished all of the symmetrical pieces of the vehicle, time to get the asymmetrical stuff finished
    G0jb7s8.png <- seats and steering wheel! Pedals and gauges sold separately
    mpQqcro.png <- I should probably include a windshield down version too
    FjI9Dgb.png <- The engine compartment is a little bit bare, got to add more engine stuff

I'd say that I'm almost finished with modeling, I've also heard that there's a nifty program floating around here that would help make it easier to program the nodes and beams, so I'll be taking a look at that. I just need to figure out some textures. As things are rather busy for me, I can only work on this in what little spare time I have, so you guys probably won't be driving this bad boy for a while, sorry, and thanks for your patience.

3. ferrettank

ferrettank
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Hey buddy, broskado, broham. I like the jeep, but it looks like some of your edges need to be split. Check out this modifier it helps ATON!
    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modifiers/Generate/Edge_Split

Good luck on the rest of the project :)

4. DesertCanine

DesertCanine
    Expand Collapse

5. DesertCanine

DesertCanine
    Expand Collapse

Big news guys!
    7fIvwzi.png
    Wait, what do you mean there's more work to be done to get it into the game? What? I still need to program and texture it?

Okay guys, the model is practically done, now I need to
    A. Texture
    B. Program

Here's some screens of the finished product. I've also picked up a really nice program here that creates beams and nodes out of blender meshes! Thanks, Mike!
    The syntax of how the different jbeam files fit together is difficult for me to understand though. At a cursory glance, it seems like they might be functions called by other functions and the main. I'll have to fiddle around with it, and look at some existing file structures to see what's happening, though the nodes and beams themselves seem rather straightforward.
    ju88OgC.png The machine gun is purely cosmetic.
    otf7CCk.png
    TjoiC5s.png Looks nice though
    JMT6phF.png The underside took a lot of work, I learned a lot about the underside of a jeep than I ever wanted
    Nghu3S0.png I filled the engine with engine things.

6. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

Regarding the edgesplit I highly recommend adding the splits manually:

* Smooth shade the entire model/object
    * Add edge split modifier
    * Disable "edge angle"
    * In edit mode select the edges you want to be sharp and press Ctrl+E then select Mark Sharp.

This way you can get more control over what needs to be sharp and what should be smooth. Auto split based on angle is fine for quickly checking something out but for a completed model you'll likely find edges that are sharp which should be smooth.

7. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

Great advice. I'll use this information for when I finish the 450r and polish it.

8. rsb0204

rsb0204
    Expand Collapse

"engine things" is that a technical term? lol

seriously tho nice model, I have a 1947 cj and this looks spot on! (besides the MB/CJ changes ofcourse)

9. rrrrrrrrr9

rrrrrrrrr9
    Expand Collapse

Small world, I have a 1948 cj2a!
    The one thing that looks odd is that the left side of the engine looking forward is supposed to have the intake/exhaust manifold and carb, not sure if what you have is a placeholder or what. The air-cleaner on the right side is spot-on though. Here's some pics from when I rebuilt mine that might be useful.

(imported from here)

(imported from here)
    The aircleaner setup in this last photo isn't correct

(imported from here)

10. rsb0204

rsb0204
    Expand Collapse

I thought that looked alittle off, but mine dosent have an engine (long story) so I wasent gonna say anything. nice to see im not the only one with an early cj tho. btw love that air cleaner lol

11. DesertCanine

DesertCanine
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tip, hutch! I can see where it would come in quite handy.

The engine has so many fine details, and things going everywhere, it's like a maze of wiring, pipes, and more wiring.

Anyway, I've remodeled the do-hickey based on your suggestions and reference material. I actually had the exhaust going into the air filter before! Apparently, it snakes under the engine and connects to the apparatus.

E7GyKNy.png

I'm now picturing rsb's jeep being pulled by a train of horses...

12. rsb0204

rsb0204
    Expand Collapse

lol, yha! mule, YHA!

anyway I couldent help but notice your horn is missing.

(imported from here)
    also note how the headlamps are set into the grill rather than being flush with it.

13. DesertCanine

DesertCanine
    Expand Collapse

Eh, close enough

vsQ2quP.png

14. rrrrrrrrr9

rrrrrrrrr9
    Expand Collapse

Looking good!

15. rsb0204

rsb0204
    Expand Collapse

16. DesertCanine

DesertCanine
    Expand Collapse

Hello, quick update, I'm going to release the mesh that I currently have built for anyone to use. The mesh is officially open source now, tear it apart, build on it, cherry pick from it, I don't mind. You do not need permission from me, and I don't need any credit.

Critiques, advice, and criticism on the actual model would be nice for future builds.

Link to the attachment. It's at the first page of the thread.
    http://www.beamng.com/threads/2667-Jeep-MB?p=30273&viewfull=1#post30273

#36 DesertCanine, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  17. DesertCanine

DesertCanine
    Expand Collapse

Update, I have added pedals, the first page attachment has been updated accordingly.

GpG7uBR.png

18. DesertCanine

DesertCanine
    Expand Collapse

Update

Sorry I haven't released any current updates, I've been busy the past few weeks. Here's what I have so far on the model.

Spare gas canister and spare tire has been added. The tire also has tread now.
    co8oOTz.png

The windshield has been remodeled, and curvature was added to the fenders for a more jeep-like appearance.

6dJbn6Z.png
    The center console has been remodeled so that it looks better and more like a jeep.
    La0fJPY.png

Breaklights were added.
    Zyccw81.png

The transfer case and underside has been edited.
    m2aZLVz.png

The attachment in the first post has not been updated to this version yet, I'm waiting until the model progresses a little further until I upload another one.

19. rsb0204

rsb0204
    Expand Collapse

looking good, did you increase the size of the tires/wheels? they look bigger

20. go14smoke

go14smoke
    Expand Collapse

He added tread and may have increased the size too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice