Junkyard models

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by Pontiac, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Pontiac

Pontiac
    Expand Collapse

Dumping all of my unfinished cars that was never finished these are 5 months old cars.

Some issues here.
    -Shade errors
    -Ugly wireframe
    Ugly 1.png Ugly 2.png Ugly 3.png Ugly 4.png Ugly 5.png

Cars
    -Aston Martin DB9
    -Chevy Camaro
    -Chevy belair
    -Plymouth Barracuda
    -1970 Monte Carlo

One quick question that until now i'm still confused
    -What is the first part of the car that you should start modeling? I always start modeling on the doors.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wolf

Wolf
    Expand Collapse

So what's the point of this? Most of the models are out of proportion...

3. Pontiac

Pontiac
    Expand Collapse

Its very ironic that you post a useless reply. The point of this? I'm giving away all of my unfinished models, that's the point. And I'm very sure all those cars are correct in proportion because all of those cars I modeled by blueprints. Don't think I model my cars by reference, those models are old and unfinished.

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

ALT.

He has a point, this is quite useless, at least here. These cars have pretty bad topology, and won't be worth using in a game sincerely.
    There is no point in posting them here.

/hate&nomercy

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

He also had a point on proportions. There is absolutely no way those models were made from blueprints, either that or you didnt follow the blueprint correctly. Proportions are visibly incorrect on camaro, belair and baracuda, particularly in regards to wheel sizing and position.

6. Pontiac

Pontiac
    Expand Collapse

Its because these models were extremely rushed that's why these cars have horrible results. 6677 is right, i didn't follow the blueprints correctly because i rushed all of those models back then. If i misunderstood something my deepest apologies.

7. IamNameless

IamNameless
    Expand Collapse

The Camaro looks too sedan-ish.

8. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

It seems like you rush every one of your projects. I haven't seen a single car that you've properly focused on.

Bit of tough love here, but your modelling skills are mediocre. I've seen worse, but you claim to have used Blender for over three years, and that's a lot of learning time. You've said that you want to get to my level of modelling (which isn't really that good) but are you aware that I've only been modelling for a little over a year?

One more thing: I start with the roof :)

9. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

You're starting with too many polys and focusing too much on small areas instead of the overall shape. There should not be openings and features of this detail yet when the basic curves are not correct.

The problems with your method will be that smoothing groups will be broken all the time due to weird edges, making it very difficult to see the curvature of the shape properly. You'll lose focus of the overall proportions when focusing on details like door edges or headlights. And, if you do find that your proportions are off, you have to give up because you've got so many vertices already that tweaking it all is basically impossible, leaving you to start nearly from scratch.

I work like this:

Mesh1.jpg mesh5.jpg mesh21.jpg mesh27.jpg mesh34.jpg mesh37.jpg mesh43.jpg

My all my dimensions ended up within a few % of the real thing (have the ability to measure n check) its smooth, and the poly flow is good. There was minimal backtracking required to keep things in proportion, when I wanted finer curvature I just add a line of vertices with cut, move it out, then tweak a little.

#9 Goosah, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Pontiac

Pontiac
    Expand Collapse

I have been using blender for 3 years but on those 2 years were all the laziness i have been doing, i quickly jumped into making games without knowing the concept of 3D modeling, i only started learning 3D modeling this year with proper tutorials. It may take you little over a year to get high quality skills but it depends on the person on how long can it take to reach their skills in modeling. The reason why i went to 3D modeling because i discovered rigs of rods and that was 5 months ago.

Well, i did some proper vehicles on my newer models but i'm still expecting to improve.

11. willdev

willdev
    Expand Collapse

But whats your point, that he shouldn't have taken so long? Why not just say he's shit if thats what you want to say? Even if it takes him 10 years why share how long it took you?

12. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

This was what I could do after a year of modeling

(imported from here)

Some people learn at a slower rate.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Because I don't think it's a valid reason to showboat how much experience you've had with a program if you're completely incompetent at using it. I shared how long it took me to get to my level because

wait for it

here it comes

jesus christ on a cracker prepare your anus

It's not that fucking hard.

14. willdev

willdev
    Expand Collapse

So that's what it comes down to. You think he's showboating? Showing off for personal gain? Man that's just not how I see it at all.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Then we have two very different perceptions on how people work.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wolf

Wolf
    Expand Collapse

How you and Zappymouse see it are two completely different ideas.
    I see Zappymouse's point he says he is doing a certain project gets the community hyped up and never finishes it, Why do you think this thread was made?
    Remember what was written in his signature awhile back? Something along the lines of "Professional modeller"
    He responds to constructive criticism like he is getting his balls ripped of by medusa.

17. willdev

willdev
    Expand Collapse

Well it's fair enough, maybe that is what he wants to do. The only reason I defend him really, is that he's young. When you start modelling it's nice to show things off. You want to get approval for what you're doing. I think people consider it as an evil, but I don't think it does any harm really. I don't think encouraging him does any harm. And I don't think anything is achieved by trying to sort of put him in his place like he's trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes. I mean for me it's no secret that he needs to improve and I don't think he's tricking anyone anyway. I don't think there is a danger of him sort of 'making people think he's better than he is' in my opinion. Maybe it would be more productive to just leave him alone, or maybe even provide some mild encouragement.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

I've never said anything to discourage Pontiac from modelling- hell, I've even written paragraphs on product/car design and provided veritable amounts of constructive criticism, but it's tiring to repeat myself for the umpteenth time, after having seen the same mistakes being made yet again both in modelling and design. If he wants to improve as a designer, he'll have to take on board the information others are giving him (for free out of kindness, no less) and shunt himself out of this rut -nay, canyon- of stubbornness, complacency and apathy toward education.
    If you look through our interactions over the past several months, you'll see why I'm beginning to lose my patience.

I'll admit that I'm passionate about design and eager to share my knowledge to those who ask for it, as Pontiac has in the Development Screens thread, but he's shown little more than laziness and complacency. Ordinarily, someone in my position would shrug and move on, but the problem is, I care way too friggin' much.

That's enough of me being a pretentious asspirate, peace out.

19. willdev

willdev
    Expand Collapse

Well I agree actually with good design, modelling practices and so on. I think pontiac has a unique style and I think he should be able to work like that if he chooses to.
    He certainly has some unconventional stuff going on but that is actually what I think is good and what can be done when you're working with simulation instead of real life. That's the beauty of working with a sandbox game, you can do what you like and if it falls to bits or chops your limbs off then that's fine. The issue I have is that the way some people conduct their criticism can be quite rude. I'm sure some people do want to help but its the way they communicate their advice that can seem very overbearing. And I just fear that it could cause all the creativity and experimentation to be lost under a sea of sort of "this design could never work in the real world, it simply would never rotate properly/wont stay on/will be too bendy/won't reach" and so on.

20. Pontiac

Pontiac
    Expand Collapse

Because i really get confused when i model and design, designing modern vehicles is very confounding for me because i am starting to learn to design modern cars because i get tired of designing classic cars for the past 10 years. I can't even design a body of a car since i'm very confused and lost, the only thing i do to design modern cars is to model a mitsubishi lancer (As an example) then i change some parts to make it different, i obeyed all of your constructive criticisms but the reason why my mistakes repeats because i really get confused. If you are starting too lose your patience then don't fix my mistakes. Ill let other people fix my mistakes. Many people complain that their eyes hurt and they should say i should design classic cars, like my grandfather said to me when i showed my designs to him.

"Your more on the boxy car designs."

But i force myself designing modern cars that makes the car extremely horrible....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice