1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Just Bought BeamNG. Will My PC Run this? planned on buying RAM this week.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kschroe_dev, Jul 3, 2018.

1. kschroe_dev

kschroe_dev
    Expand Collapse

Hello, I'm new here. I am a fairly active user with RoR and i decided to switch to BeamNG. Will a computer run it with these specs? Specs: Intel i5 7200U @ 2.5 GHz, 6 GB ram (upgrading to 14 GB soon)

2. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

The CPU will have no problem, BeamNG is pretty easy that way, its graphics that really make the difference, what GPU do you have?

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

lol nice profile picture

Your CPU Won't have a very tough time running this, 6gb isn't the best (but with 14 you should be great to go)

i don't seem to see a GPU, And from my first hand experience a GPU Is important for beamng, would you mind telling us that like veyron said in the post above?

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

With one car, i3 and i7 are running game about same, with 6 cars or more i7 starts to be choice to make.
    Single core performance is important for graphics though, but in that i3 to i7 of same generation are equal.

GPU as others have said is then critical point, especially with latest BeamNG versions GPU demands have increased and you can benefit more from fast GPU than before.

As others have pointed out, somehow BeamNG is quite heavy on GPU, but turn shadows off and you can run BeamNG with a potato!

5. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

the shadows on my machine use a lot of CPU power for some reason, i changed it from Full to Partial and i can't tell the difference but my CPU can!
    --- Post updated ---
    issue is it's a U processor, if you are using Intel HD graphics then don't expect miracles. Also note that it's a dual core at 15W, so you wont have much performance on hand, with the CPU at full load (which it will be with 2 cars) then the power/thermal will be limited when you are also using the GPU at full load (likely). If your laptop does not overheat, then i recommend using Intel XTU to increase the power limits, which will increase performance on your machine.

• Like Like x 1
  6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Oh yes they do, but also GPU, especially at west coast! It used to be more of CPU usage and now it seems to be more of GPU, however on some maps shadows still murder CPU, so go figure what makes that really :D

Oh, good catch with U, I didn't spot that at all!

With integrated GPU lowest of almost everything is only way to play and 60fps is dream on most maps, but that 15W limit will indeed be a problem, with i3 and integrated GPU I could barely play at lowest details and that was 45W or something like that I believe.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

the U processors are quite good, they have much lower voltages and thus are more efficient. 15w will support 30FPS i think with decent settings (Lowest, but with Normal textures etc.) and maybe a car or two.

Also around the scaffolding section of WCUSA my machine dies basically :p it goes from 60FPS to about 15-20!! the scaffolding is so detailed and so it's quite wasteful.

8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Scaffolding, I'm not familiar with that word, you mean that tree area with cabin? That is only place where I get lower framerate, I think it was around 40 or so that I get there, but lowering model, light and shaders to normal and setting shadows to partial mostly keeps it up at 60fps, however I don't often run 1080p, usually 720p or something weird as I resize window often, currently have this:
    upload_2018-7-3_14-3-29.png upload_2018-7-3_14-13-16.png
    1050Ti was around 8 times FPS of iGPU unless my memory lies to me, I think I have that info in my performance testing thread somewhere. So U CPU fps would be something like roughly 50% of i3-6100 and iGPU,

Incar view in Bolide is very generous for fps as it seems not to render stuff hidden by roof etc. But it kinda hard to see out from that thing :D

Anyway, here is iGPU testing results of old version of the game, which might give some idea, i7 or i3 skylake runs single car about same, so with all this information some idea of how game will run with OP's machine might be possible to be formed:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/your-performance-testing-results.37866/page-3#post-576675

9. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

oh, the construction area in the centre, i thought scaffolding was a universal term, just a british one then :p scaffolding is the metal poles the workers stand on whilst doing work.
    I think it's mainly the fencing and the poles, they are really high quality compared to other buildings, and i am on Normal quality.

Yeah this is at 100% GPU usage, on an Nvidia GTX 960, with settings at "Normal"

10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, I think I have heard term scaffolding before, now my poor memory is connecting dots again, that is my 'excellent' english again :D

Interesting, I have no performance issues there, forest is much worse with these settings, I wonder why those slowdowns happen, 1050Ti is not that strong, but maybe there is something it can compute stronger than older generation or then it is completely random?:
    upload_2018-7-3_19-30-38.png upload_2018-7-3_19-31-9.png upload_2018-7-3_19-31-23.png

11. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

see my post in "0.12.0.4 Discussion.." i'd rather not spam this thread anymore :p

Attached Files:

• upload_2018-7-3_23-36-37.png
    • upload_2018-7-3_23-36-50.png
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 98crownvic

98crownvic
    Expand Collapse

Nothing helpful to contribute, just clearing up that other people use scaffolding too. I’m American.

13. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Well if you're not sure if you can run it, do check out the demo.
    The integrated graphics isn't the best in town, but it's way better on Skylake, Kaby Lake or newer, then it used to be before the 4000-series (Haswell) and newer.
    I have a Haswell-refresh (4790k) cpu. It's 4.4ghz mind you, and throws off more heat then our furnaces here do. So much in fact, that the stock cooler wouldn't even keep the cpu at stock speed for more than 2~5 minutes on a heavy task using all cores. Cities Skylines would BSOD my machine (motherboard failsafe set lower than 100c default throttle temp) :x

So your U-series 2.5ghz CPU should do at-least HALF the work of my i7 4.4ghz PER CORE. I don't know if it's a dual core quad thread, or quad core eight thread cpu.
    More GHZ = more FPS for physics, smoother crashes with more GHZ. Turn shadows off if it's slow.
    More Cores = more vehicles in the simulation at once & smoother multi-vehicle crashes.
    More GPU power = better FPS at better detail levels and higher resolution. 20FPS is the minimum for full-speed simulation. Turn off reflections and turn down detail levels when and where possible/tolerable.

My integrated graphics on this process when it came out in 2014, could run Carmageddon @ 720p no issue, very smooth, medium details at that. It wasn't just tolerable, I totally forgot I was using integrated graphics while playing.

So yes the game should run. Low to medium settings @ 720p, Low settings at 1080p or whatever similar screen resolution you may have. The amount of system memory dedicated to video RAM dictates how high of texture detail you can have. <1gb = low to medium, depending on the map, 2gb medium to high textures depending on the map.
    My monstrous Roane County map uses 'about 4gb' of Video RAM on high, and 6~8gb of system RAM as you cruise around. Turning texture detail down one notch, turning off reflections and shadows, can help the FPS by as much as 3x or more on a borderline GPU.

Maybe @fufsgfen can tell you how it runs on his GPU, I think he did some tests on Roane County (which is notably a BEAR to run) on his integrated 4xxx or 6xxx DESKTOP cpu. You'd have to see how the specs compare - but it was playable, well into playable range from what I can remember.

This game is truly meant for the brute-force of a desktop, but failing that, give it a try, just don't be shocked when you can't run the highest graphics without a dedicated AMD or NVidia GPU, as this game is so new, it's not even done yet.

--Good luck and if you decide to buy, welcome to the forums!

14. letters

letters
    Expand Collapse

I imagine it would have 70-80% the performance of a typical desktop Skylake/Kaby-Lake desktop chip.15 watts is only the average load TDP; if you have the thermal support, it will draw much more. XTU or RMClock might help. I believe the iGPU is closer to desktop freq's than the CPU core and you'd be GPU-bound even with a slow i7.

I'd replace the thermal paste between the die and heatsink; that might net you 10 degrees on the same settings. Don't tighten the heatsink too much. I had a laptop fail to post until I backed off the screws a tad.

RAM.. you can't have 14gb. You have a stick of 4gb and a stick of 2gb right now, and only 2 slots. You can upgrade to 4gb and 4gb, or 8gb and 8gb, which will greatly improve the iGPU performance (having 2 different size RAM sticks doesn't allow them to run in dual-channel). Realistically it seems like 4 and 4 is your best bet. Almost anything that iGPU can handle will not need more RAM.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice