WIP Beta released LGN Performance pack

Discussion in 'Land' started by iamlegian, Dec 7, 2022.

1. iamlegian

iamlegian
    Expand Collapse

UPDATED! 8 more cars and a bunch of parts. Details below.

Thanks for checking out the LGN performance pack! This mod aims to eventually be a one stop shop for all your racing needs.

Current features:

- Advanced steering making it possible to fine tune the steering angle, Ackermann angle (explained below) and steering ratio.

20231128214928_1.jpg

PICCOLINA
    BASTION
    LEGRAN
    MOONHAWK
    BURNSIDE
    VIVACE
    BOLIDE
    SCINTILLA
    800-SERIES
    I-SERIES
    K-SERIES
    BLUEBUCK
    D-SERIES
    GRAND MARSHAL
    AURATA
    SBR4
    SUNBURST
    200BX
    H-SERIES
    COVET
    MIRAMAR
    PESSIMA
    PESSIMA MK2
    LANSDALE
    WENDOVER
    DUNEKICKER

Mods:
    (KLJP) ZENITH
    (KLJP) ZENITH MK2
    (KUESO) SAGA
    (KIMAQ) RALLY SUNBURST
    (LJ) SIGNIA
    (LJ) UTE
    (LUCASBE) SCOUT

(some cars are partially supported from older versions, will be revised soon)

- Assortment of street tires for 17x9 offroad rims.

- Colorable skin drift missile skin for 200BX

- Burnside has a sequential gearbox and fully animated sequential shifter and hydraulic handbrake. (add from shifter slot)

- Vivace has a RWD transfer case. (Make sure you add the output shaft mount in the front differential slot if you want the drive shaft to be visible.)

- Grand Marshal has a sequential gearbox and fully animated sequential shifter and hydraulic handbrake. Add the (LGN) Dashboard to install them.

-SBR4 has a halfway open fixed spoiler. It raises for braking but won't close fully. I like to remove electronics, and that would effectively disable active spoilers. This will work with or without electronics.

- Advanced body for Sunburst (not many features yet but has more wheel well space, shout out to kimaq for answering my questions)

- Miramar has a sequential gearbox. Installing it will automatically add a fully animated sequential shifter and hydraulic brake.

- Lansdale has some edited parts like bullbarless gambler bumper, and fenders + late hood for gambler radiator support.

- Reasonably refined drift configs for all redone vehicles. Most are a little underpowered to force you to use drifting techniques (clutch kick, weight transfer, handbrake etc.), but they are all capable of holding and recovering from a drift.

Refinement of steering geometry for all supported cars.
    Add support for popular and requested mods.
    Advanced suspensions with added adjusting freedom.
    Engine swaps.
    Performance parts (such as interior fuel cells, weight reduction, more tire options etc.)

When a car turns, the wheel on the outside of the curve has to travel a longer distance than the one on the inside. For this reason, while turning, most 4 wheeled vehicles will have what's known as a "positive Ackermann geometry" or "positive Ackermann", meaning the angle of the wheels while turning opens forward, to better follow the trajectory around the bend.

(positive Ackermann pictured below)
    pos.jpg

While drifting around a corner however, the center of the bend effectively shifts to the other side. Therefore a "reverse Ackermann" is preferred. Many drifters choose this setup for technical, more smooth and responsive drifting, however this type of angle will cause the car to be less stable while regular cornering.

(reverse Ackermann pictured below)
    rev.jpg

A third option, a good inbetween, is a "parallel Ackermann" setup. This means the wheels have no angle between them while turning. This will make it easier to "lock" a drift and hold a straight line, however it offers no benefits to responsiveness, to drift initiation or to recovery from drifting.

(parallel Ackermann pictured below)
    equ.jpg

Firstly, the adjustable steering values allow you to go way beyond what the game was intended to do, therefore you may get unexpected results. Such as bending, breaking or even exploding steering.

I recommend taking it slow. Test each adjustment before doing another one.

Secondly, since the steering angle affects Ackermann angle, I strongly suggest you install the steering debug app, and get the angle you want (reverse Ackermann by going left of 0, positive by going right of 0). Then try to increase the steering angle little by little until your suspension bends, breaks or starts giving you inconsistent angles. Then go back a little. This way you will always get the most out of your newly acquired (LGN) Advanced Steering!

Lastly, steering ratio effectively increases and decreases the snappiness of your steering. If you feel like the car is sluggish when negotiating turns, raise this value. Lower it if the steering is too fast and hard to manage.

Good luck! And if you have questions please drop a message below.

20231122110442_1.jpg 20231122100157_1.jpg 20231127114043_1.jpg screenshot_2023-11-28_19-16-21.png screenshot_2023-11-28_19-12-05.png screenshot_2023-11-27_00-46-27.png

If you want to collab, contribute to the mod, leave feedback or suggestions, please leave them here.

Currently looking for a 3d modeler to help make some cut fenders. I barely have time to work on this mod more than I already am, modeling parts is sadly out of the question.

Repo link:
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/lgn-performance-pack.28918/

#1 iamlegian, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    • Like Like x 5
  2. iamlegian

iamlegian
    Expand Collapse

Updated.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Andryusha

Andryusha
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the mod, it's a useful thing for drifting.
    Steering angle is pretty self explanatory but what does the variable 'idk1' supposed to do?
    I checked the code for Covet and it affects 1 of the 2 steering rods.

4. iamlegian

iamlegian
    Expand Collapse

Ohh I must've left it there from an experiment. Good catch, thank you so much! Will remove and update the file. Should be safe to ignore until I get home.

EDIT: should be gone now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. iamlegian

iamlegian
    Expand Collapse

Updated.

Miramar adjustable steering was beaten into submission. Both regular and wide suspensions are supported, however if drifting is your thing, I suggest going for wide. Regular one is... bendy.

Attached Files:

• 20221208203304_1.jpg
  6. iamlegian

iamlegian
    Expand Collapse

Updated.

Added ETK I-Series, LeGran and Wendover.

Put in some more work on 200BX steering. Almost happy with it now. :)

If you have configs saved with my adjustable steering installed, they may have reverted to vanilla steering. You'll have to reinstall the adjustable one and overwrite the save. I'm very sorry about this, but I had to rename the parts to less generic ones. It occurred to me that someone else might make adjustable steering named "adjustable steering" and that would cause conflicts down the line. This will not happen again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Phaien

Phaien
    Expand Collapse

This mod is so cool!
    I can finally drift with the bolide :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. iamlegian

iamlegian
    Expand Collapse

And it can drift particularly well, yeah. I'm thinking of adding some drift tires for its rims too.

9. Phaien

Phaien
    Expand Collapse

oh its fine
    i use some small 17x6 wheels with standart tires to drift smooth
    i dont really like the beamng drift tires...they are so "grippy"

10. iamlegian

iamlegian
    Expand Collapse

Well I can make some big ones that are not grippy at all.

11. Phaien

Phaien
    Expand Collapse

No worries, iam fine with vanilla tires :)

12. iamlegian

iamlegian
    Expand Collapse

Updated.

Added 5 more cars to the list: ETK 800-Series, Bastion, Grand Marshal, SBR4, H-Series (Independent and off-road suspensions supported).

Particularly happy with the van!

Attached Files:

• 20221211102809_1.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  13. iamlegian

iamlegian
    Expand Collapse

Updated.

Cherrier, Piccolina and Hopper added.

Piccolina was particularly hard to do, but it's a good drifter now, and I'm very happy with the Hopper crawler.

Attached Files:

• 20221213110157_1.jpg
    • 20221213104237_1.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  14. iamlegian

iamlegian
    Expand Collapse

Small update. Been super sick so that took a lot of my holiday time. Back on it now.

2nd Gen Pessima now has adjustable steering. If you like drifting I highly recommend the KLJP mod for its AWD unibody.

Attached Files:

• 20221229190942_1.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  15. BadmanTru 2

BadmanTru 2
    Expand Collapse

hey bud are you still making these? I am beta testing your steering rack for the drift comps and the guys are asking if the muscle cars will be included?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Camdevdev

Camdevdev
    Expand Collapse

time to pop cv joins

• Like Like x 1
  17. DiscoQuinn

DiscoQuinn
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I've DM'd you about this mod! Would love to chat! <3

• Like Like x 1
  18. iamlegian

iamlegian
    Expand Collapse

I'm trying to figure out some things at the moment, but yeah I do plan an update soon.

Can't figure out how to extend the steering beyond vanilla breaking point and I would love to.

Testing some part swaps but it looks like I'll just go back to the previous method.

Should have an update by next week.

19. Loonniee

Loonniee
    Expand Collapse

Hey i know its been 3 months since your last update/response, but ive been searching and searching trying to find a steering angle mod for the T-series
    i even tryed to do it myself but this is confusing

was wondering if you could make it compatible with the t-series. i have a great drift semi but i need more angle

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  20. iamlegian

iamlegian
    Expand Collapse

Hey, yeah, I kinda lost interest in the mod when cars got remastered and stopped working, but I should go back and look at finishing it.

On top of that, there are certain limitations that I don't know how to work past. Like it seems there is a literal invisible object limiting how far wheels can turn, and I can't find how to remove or move it.

But I'll definitely look into the T-series for you and see what I can do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice