1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Linux Port – Feedback, Known Issues, and FAQ

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Car_Killer, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Car_Killer

Car_Killer
    Expand Collapse
    QA / Mod Support
    BeamNG Team

It's a known issue mentioned in the first post.

2. pranays123

pranays123
    Expand Collapse

The game works well on monado with valve index. I recommend envision as it was super easy. The only issues I have are double vision for the UI (the right eye's UI is also shown on the left eye) and low-ish (50-60 on grid, small, pure) fps due to cpu/game engine bottleneck (according to ctrl+shift+f profiler) even though I use a Ryzen 7 5800x.

#502 pranays123, Apr 22, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  3. JoLi

JoLi
    Expand Collapse

I can recommend btrfs, it has drivers made by the reactos team, which work great even on win10/11

4. talkingerbil

talkingerbil
    Expand Collapse

I won't turn it into a VR discussion but a few quick things:

Collabora/Monado received dev funding from Khronos this year so they are in active development in most parts of the driver stack. I've heard envision is very helpful. I build from the git repos so have no idea how to use it exactly but a few env vars you want to make sure are set when the server is running:

XRT_COMPOSITOR_SCALE_PERCENTAGE=???
    XRT_COMPOSITOR_COMPUTE=true
    U_PACING_APP_USE_MIN_FRAME_PERIOD=true

The first one is the render resolution scale in % of the HMD screen max capability where 100 is the hardware baseline. 140 (I think is default?) is the typical "recommended" notch in steamvr settings to overcome lens barrel distortion. I set it to 110 or so to recover some FPS at the expense of slightly more blurry textures.

Double vision is odd. I haven't heard anyone complain of that for the Index. They have a very helpful discord channel for more/deeper questions. Just search Monado.

5. jakelooker

jakelooker
    Expand Collapse

No, one is running Fedora with an AMD GPU, the other is on Arch with and Nvidia card. I'm guessing Fedora will be using older libraries.

The strange part is we have other users running the game on Arch with both Nvidia & AMD GPUs without issues, but there's two of us with the same shader compilation error.

6. Car_Killer

Car_Killer
    Expand Collapse
    QA / Mod Support
    BeamNG Team

Please report issues only from BeamNG 0.32.1 from now on :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. jakelooker

jakelooker
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately this update has not changed the shader compilation error on startup.

8. kingdomoflinux

kingdomoflinux
    Expand Collapse

I still have flickering with V-Sync on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. goldy_

goldy_
    Expand Collapse

Just tried 0.32.1 and nope, same issue.

I really don't know what is up with our systems. I did some research and according to steamdb.info no modifications were made to this specific shader between 0.31 and 0.32 (shaders/common/postFx/dof/DOF_Final_P.hlsl). We can confirm that by going to https://steamdb.info/patchnotes/14069512/ and searching for "shaders/common/postFx/dof/DOF_Final_P.hlsl". If you search for that in the 0.31 build (https://steamdb.info/patchnotes/12961852/) you will find that it has been modified.

What I'm trying to imply here is that we might be able to safely cross out the fact that there is something wrong with the shader itself, as 0.31 had the same shader and ran perfectly fine for me with the exception of the known issues; I assume it also did for you.

10. UltraBlack_

UltraBlack_
    Expand Collapse

Hmm Beam doesn't even launch for me. What does this even mean??
    Code:
    Failed to init bngenv: Failed to create user directory%                                                                                           

Edit: The symbolic link that shares the windows and linux builds' data directories broke because I changed the mount point of my steam drive. This game really needs better logging. It's unusable right now.

Well anyway, any updates on the screen flickering? It's painful to watch as I get a few black frames every so often

Edit again: It's a vsync issue?

Ok so apart from vsync being broken, textures loading in extremely slowly, particles flickering and the terrible logging (and some other stuff), the linux build actually runs awesome in 0.32. Your work on the linux build has genuinely made this super playable. I almost see zero issues just driving around in WCUSA

#510 UltraBlack_, May 8, 2024
    Last edited: May 8, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blenux

Blenux
    Expand Collapse

Any info on what causes the crash dialog to appear when exiting the game?, only minor bug I have when running the Linux version.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Omega7573

Omega7573
    Expand Collapse

Opening the Ingame menu causes the game to become laggy, and scenario loading and now certain maps are stuck on the loading screen, while being responsive to controls. This bug exists on the linux port and under wine. Previously it was stuttering but I updated my rolling release system and now this.

This line was the last before it can't draw any further: 57.20758|D|_mapMaterial| [Material::mapMaterial] - Cannot map unnamed Material -

Edit: I should probably show my specs. So there they are:

Kernel: Linux 6.9.1-arch1-1
    Display (S27F358): 1920x1080 @ 60Hz [External]
    DE: KDE Plasma 6.0.4
    WM: KWin (Wayland)
    CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5-2640 0 (12)
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti [Discrete]
    Memory: 5,03 GiB / 15,55 GiB (32%)
    Swap: 0 B / 9,77 GiB (0%)
    Disk (/): 28,92 GiB / 47,76 GiB (61%) - ext4
    Disk (/home): 171,70 GiB / 380,60 GiB (45%) - ext4

#512 Omega7573, May 20, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  13. IceZwo

IceZwo
    Expand Collapse

Have the same issue on a fresh installed Debian 12 with nvidia drivers. Can i help somehow with testing someting?

14. hacker420

hacker420
    Expand Collapse

it crashdumps on... something, no idea what it crashes on. And it's not like we have debugging symbols for BeamNG to check.

15. UltraBlack_

UltraBlack_
    Expand Collapse

Are there any updates on the "error mounting mods" error on game startup? Manually disabling and enabling all mods makes them work fine.
    I get the same behavior when installing mods from the repo.

16. hacker420

hacker420
    Expand Collapse

weirdly I don't have that issue on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed with Btrfs.

17. UltraBlack_

UltraBlack_
    Expand Collapse

Well I'm running arch
    I wonder if it makes a difference that all my steam stuff is on a secondary (ext4) drive...

18. hacker420

hacker420
    Expand Collapse

doubt ext4 is a problem, maybe it's that secondary drive?

19. UltraBlack_

UltraBlack_
    Expand Collapse

the drive itself is fine, I know that for sure. Might be the game doing something weird then.

20. Car_Killer

Car_Killer
    Expand Collapse
    QA / Mod Support
    BeamNG Team

Are you sure that all mod zip names are lowercase?
    This error usually appears when one of the files contains uppercase letters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice