Looking for a 3D capable DOS computer

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by JetPoweredMacintosh™, May 10, 2018.

1. JetPoweredMacintosh™

JetPoweredMacintosh™
    Expand Collapse

I have a ton of old games laying around EVERYWHERE, and I'd like to play some of them (examples: screamer rally, and a flight simulator which I can't remember the name of) on a DOS computer instead of just getting an emulator (for the full experience), any suggestions? Must be capable of running 3D games and have 16 MB of RAM.

2. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

DOSBOX...? A full-fledged VM?
    --- Post updated ---
    If you want to go the "hardware" way... Anything from the Win95 era (1st gen. Pentiums) would do. Most 3D DOS games ran in software mode (DirectX and D3D yet to come and would only work under Windows) so hardware would make very little difference, provided you get a good enough machine.

Maybe get a cheap early 3dfx (Voodoo I or II) for Glide-enabled games, if you can.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

Actually hardware would make a big difference. In the days of DOS, many times the game speed would be CPU speed dependent... and so a CPU that is too fast would not run it well either. This is where DOS Box can help though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

That's why I said "provided you get a good enough machine". He would have plenty of headroom by just getting a late Win9x machine, but it all depends on how "faithful" he expects the "full experience" to be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MASKED REPTILIAN

MASKED REPTILIAN
    Expand Collapse

just install dos on a usb

6. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

That may cause some problems on some programs, so I can see whey he need an old DOS machine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice