Looking for a gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by pf12351, Sep 16, 2014.

1. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Nailed it.

If you absolutely need a computer for the plane/train/car then just get a bog standard laptop or even a tablet. Need gaming at a mates, my current Micro-ATX setup is plenty portable enough but mini-ITX setups can be done even better.

Gaming laptops are shit.

2. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

I have been persuaded not to buy a gaming laptop. I didn't like the specs on any of them anyway. But, I am going to buy a razer deathstalker 2014.

3. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

But... it's not even mechanical...

4. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

why membrane? why not mechanical? (if you can afford an $1000+ gaming laptop, you can easily afford a good mechanical keyboard)

5. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

I already have a razer blackwidow 2013.

6. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

Then this would be even more of a downgrade. :|

7. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

No problems what so ever with my MSI Dominator. Runs Beamng with power to spare and the portability is unmatched. I like the best of both worlds
    and a new heavy duty desktop (GTX-900 series) is planned for 2015.

8. spavatch

spavatch
    Expand Collapse

There's a saying where I live, you know, 'a gaming laptop is like a guinea pig, it's neither a pig, nor it's from Guinea'. I wouldn't call it a true laptop ie. a mobile device if it lasts 40 minutes to 1 hour of intensive playing, weighs 5 kilograms and hardly fits any handy backpack. Likewise, I wouldn't call it a proper gaming machine if even the top spec 2014 devices with GTX 880M on board are less powerful than desktop gaming rigs from three years ago :p. But hey, don't get mad, it's just my opinion, I wanted to hear yours :).

9. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

what, the gtx 880m isn't that bad

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-880M-vs-GeForce-GTX-760

10. spavatch

spavatch
    Expand Collapse

11. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

Well obviously, but its still an extremely powerful card considering its in a laptop

Sent from the 3rd galaxy from the talks of tapping

12. spavatch

spavatch
    Expand Collapse

For a laptop, yes, it is indeed quite a performer. But you see, it's very likely that it won't be all that wonderful all the time. Laptops tend to overheat, even those properly engineered get hot because dissipating such a huge amount of heat produced by performance oriented parts is not an easy task when they are so tightly packed. And what happens if a laptop gets hot? It throttles down and becomes slower than we expect it to be, plus, accumulation of heat causes rapid deterioration of lead-free solders which leads to component failures. Such thing hardly ever happen with desktops.

What I'm trying to point out is that gaming laptops will NEVER be as fast and, at the same time, as reliable as their desktop counterparts.

13. defib

defib
    Expand Collapse

14. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

I have my rig and my standard Dell laptop. It's a good setup, and sometimes I use the laptop for a second screen while I make videos.

15. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Same here, I have my rig and I have my HP "ultrabook" (I personally think its on the larger end of the scale for that, but it does officially meet intels specifications for an ultrabook and was stickered as such).

I actually use the laptop more than desktop. Not having a proper desk, I don't have a comfy setup so I only use the desktop for when I absolutely need its added CPU and GPU grunt (although in benchmarks, its dated CPU architecture even at the higher clock isnt much better than laptop). Most of the time its more practical to use the laptop, I plan to try out the steam home streaming with laptop from desktop though.

16. scottbridget1231

scottbridget1231
    Expand Collapse

Can you get for tablet

17. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

Nope. Computer only. Tablet doesnt have the processing power for Beamng

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Runs on surface pro (albeit at low)

19. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

Magic o.o

20. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Well it is essentially a core i5 ultra book crammed into a tablet shell. Pretty sure he meant windows tablets anyway, none of which are very powerful.
    Most of them are Intel atom. Much more powerful than the atom chips in old netbooks, suitable as a daily driver for most users (capable of full HD video decode and Minecraft at any rate - again hardly at Max but it is playable) but never going to run BeamNG.
    Then a few are core i3/i5/i7, usually only 1.5-2.0ghz dual or quad core, up to 8gb RAM, none have dedicated GPUs. Basically an ultrabook in a tablet shell though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice