Looking for a gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by pf12351, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Quannix

Quannix
    Expand Collapse

Why do we hate gaming laptops exactly? Okay yes, they are expensive, often have cooling problems, and are usually bulky. But someone like me would benefit from being able to use it absolutely anywhere. As long as I bring something to charge it.

But yeah, for keyboards get something from Corsair.

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Well you summarised it. Big, expensive, heavy, short battery and you can fry an egg on them. I don't see the need for high end gaming on the move myself, just drop the settings back on a more portable laptop if need be.

I want the Corsair K65 keyboard, but they only offer it with red cherry switches :( I hate reds, really horrid to type on, I'd rather keep my silicone dome keyboard than own a keyboard with reds. Brown is my favorite. I also genuinely prefer keyboards without a numpad/seperate numpads, hence the K65 rather than 70.

3. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

Any chance you'd bite on a Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid? No backlighting and (slightly) lower materials quality than the Corsair, but shares a lot of the same minimalist design cues and comes in Brown switches.

Owning a Quickfire XT (the full size variant) Cooler Master surprisingly know how to make keyboards.

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The Rapid has backlighting looking at it online. UK variant appears to have been out of stock everywhere for quite some time though (a UK and US keyboard are different and I cannot cope with US keyboards at all, can't even cope typing on a mac at all and thats a weird hybrid of both british and american)

5. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

I want Green switches. But for now, my half-letter-printing-on-the-keycaps-are-gone membrane keyboard suffices.

6. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

I have been researching, and the Razer Blade 14 seems to be the best. If I ever can afford it, I may get it.

7. Quannix

Quannix
    Expand Collapse

I think there is a tenkeyless version of the MX RGB.

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Yes, the k65 rgb which only comes in reds

9. ItaliAsian

ItaliAsian
    Expand Collapse

There are also other great brands like Ducky, Filco, WASD. The price is higher with these brand, but the build quality and material are much better. And most of these smaller companies are more lenient on the warranty and more willing to help you. Also I like supporting smaller companies that drive innovation.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index....asd-v2-87-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html
    http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyb...kl-cherry-mx-backlit-mechanical-keyboard.html
    http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/ducky_zero_dK2087s.html

#49 ItaliAsian, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Yes I've seen the WASD one and literally just opened a tomshardware forum post recommending duckys. Duckys sadly doesnt fit the bill, they do not offer UK layout on their tenkeyless models. Max appear to offer UK layout, WASD offer the 88 key model which is UK layout.

11. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

don't, razer is just as bad as alienware, if you MUST get a gaming laptop (which i could have sworn you changed your mind and decided to just use your desktop pc) then just get a lenovo Y-series

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/

12. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

Aside from the price tag, the Razer Blade 14 is an incredible gaming laptop. Sleek, powerful, wonderful screen... It's a rather surprisingly great piece of hardware.

13. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

it's 0.01 inch SMALLER than a macbook pro(and macbook pros aren't exactly known for their cooling ability), thin and gaming laptop don't mix well

14. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

You should watch LinusTechTips review of it. It actually doesn't run hot and thermal throttling isn't an issue.

15. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

well still, you can get a lenovo y50 with a 4K display and the maximum possible options(which is actually pretty similar specs, possibly even more powerful), and it will STILL be cheaper than the razer 14 with the lowest possible price:

Razer 14 starting price: $2,099

Lenovo Y50 UHD laptop with max performance options: $1679.99

i don't know about you, but i'd personally take the cheaper option

16. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

Well me too, I was just saying the the Blade 14 wasn't a horrible choice. Money wise, it makes no sense. I'd much rather have the Lenovo myself.

17. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

This video shows that the Razer is not bad:

Also, I found this joke:

#57 pf12351, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  18. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

me and noah just discussed this

money wise it's actually WORSE than alienware

everything else they do better though

but the most powerful lenovo y-series laptop is as powerful if not more AND cheaper than the cheapest razer 14, AND you get lenovo's legendary build quality (lenovo's are basically the nokia of the PC world)

so i say just get the lenovo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice