1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

low FPS, almost unplayable?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by carlitography, Aug 2, 2015.

1. carlitography

carlitography
    Expand Collapse

Hello all,
    I've been browsing around for a fix but no luck.

I used to play BeamNG without any problems until I switched to a more powerful PC.
    Now it's almost unusable due to lag and low FPS.
    I've tried different resolutions and settings with no difference whatsoever.

Specs are:
    Intel i7 5930K 3.5ghz
    32 GB Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980
    Win 7 64

as you can tell, the game should FLY.
    But that's not my case.
    Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. CryDev

CryDev
    Expand Collapse

Its so weird i have i7 4770&Gtx660 and have playable frames and no issues with this update....

#2 CryDev, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  3. carlitography

carlitography
    Expand Collapse

definitely not my case :(

4. kylon2003

kylon2003
    Expand Collapse

Go into the Nvidia graphics manager and make sure BeamNG.drive has the dedicated card selected. Also, make sure your PC is on High Performance mode.

5. Dennis-W

Dennis-W
    Expand Collapse

The 5930k doesn't have an integrated gpu...

OP, are all your drivers up to date?
    Have you disabled core parking in windows 7?

6. carlitography

carlitography
    Expand Collapse

yep, drivers are up to date, and no core is parked atm.
    Switched to performance mode in bios settings, although that makes the system pretty unstable (blue screen every now and then).
    Performance got a little bit better, but nowhere close to 60fps in 1080p mode.

I'm looking for a decent benchmark software to see whether it's a system performance bottleneck or something else...

7. carlitography

carlitography
    Expand Collapse

So I did some further test (and also installed windows 10 home, which I don't think was a great idea).
    Still had major problems, until I maxed everything out EXCEPT for the Lighting setting.
    If set to lowest I can almost play at 30fps in 4K on some maps.
    If I only "think" of switching to low or any other than lowest, it'll lag like crazy.

So there you go...
    Any thoughts?

8. burk

burk
    Expand Collapse

4k is probably the thing, since i can run the game with my laptop at alright fps with worse specs than you but i run the game at 1080p :D

9. carlitography

carlitography
    Expand Collapse

well no...
    I can play it on "some" maps in 4K, but in order to have fun with it, I have to revert back to 1080p, and even then it's still nowhere close to 60fps.
    And have Lighting set to lowest, which sucks.

I've tried other games, like GTA V or Arma 3, and they all run smooth at maximum settings, so it's got to be something up with BeamNG, but I can't find a solution to this.

10. xTakedown JnR

xTakedown JnR
    Expand Collapse

Try setting your pc into high performance mode. Control Panel\System and Security\Power Options

11. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

Just in case, make sure you run with mesh quality on minimum settings in 4k. The level of detail on objects in the world appears to be based on how many pixels that object occupies on screen, so 4k = 4x the pixels per object compared to 1080p = much higher lod used, even when you really don't need it.

Attached is a cropped comparison pic, 4k low mesh quality on the left, 1080p highest mesh quality on the right. As you can see, at 4k low mesh quality looks better than 1080p max mesh quality, it looks to me as if the same models are being used in these two shots, but obviously you get the better definition that 4k brings.

EDIT: Actually looks as if this has changed in recent updates - low mesh quality looks as bad at 4k as 1080p. :p

Still, with my 980 in most instances I get 50+fps at 4k, max settings except no post/aa.

Attached Files:

• 2015-02-10_20-44-37.jpg
    #11 metalmuncher, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  12. Michaelflat1

Michaelflat1
    Expand Collapse

hmmmm, ive got a gtx 960 and my settings are pretty much maxed and i get 60 fps solid (unless theres tyre smoke, that really bogs my system down ~10-20fps)

13. carlitography

carlitography
    Expand Collapse

well on my previous rig (i7, don't remember what MB, but it was a 2 yrs old intel), and an nvidia gtx680 or something like that, the game had no lag at all...
    This is what bugs me the most..

14. bad badger

bad badger
    Expand Collapse

I bought this game almost a year ago with my own money and I still have not been able to play it and enjoy it because it lags too bad

15. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

specs?

16. NoxiousFumes

NoxiousFumes
    Expand Collapse

I got an i7 @3.6 ghz with a gtx 960 4gigs and 16 gigs ddr3 ram and I run with all settings maxed but lighting at normal and it run at 40 fps on all maps except jungle rock island. I don't know what's your problem.

17. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I dont know how your specs are relevant here, wasnt asking you

18. NoxiousFumes

NoxiousFumes
    Expand Collapse

Well ok, sorry. I was just saying I have worse specs than the op and can play it fine

19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

the O
    the OP that if you read the thread isnt having issues anymore and wasnt being asked

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice