1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Low FPS - What is causing it?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Eruption, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Creak92

Creak92
    Expand Collapse

The amount of RAM isn't his problem. BeamNG doesn't takes that much RAM, Dry Rock Island and three different cars take ~1.5GB.

Haven't you seen that he's running on integraded graphics? No way his AMD quad core is bottlenecking his whole system, it's the very poor graphics chip (Radeon HD 4200). I very recently switched from a Phenom II x4 runnig at 3Ghz to a i5, the performance was not great but more than acceptable.
    You should try to find a cheap (maybe used) middle class graphics card and your FPS will increase.

#21 Creak92, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  2. Eruption

Eruption
    Expand Collapse

Well, if I get a card, I think it should be maxed with my system: PCI-E slot with 250 watt power supply. (Which might have to be upgraded.)

I will make it clear that I am not sure if I should get a new processor or a new graphics card. You guys are confusing me! :p

Thanks for the help once again.

3. AceDeucey

AceDeucey
    Expand Collapse

A new CPU will probably result in a new motherboard. Your CPU is discontinued (at least on newegg), so I can only assume that its socket type has been phased out. A newer CPU won't fit in your system just like that extra RAM you had lying around didn't.

Go for the GPU. Although, I'm not sure what you can get that is within the confines of a 250W power supply. If you can swing it, it would just be easier to get a whole new machine ...

4. Creak92

Creak92
    Expand Collapse

With your current system and budget a graphics card is definitely the best option. I'd suggest to have a look at used parts since you might make a good deal but most probably you'd need a better PSU, again, a used quality product (of course not too old ;)) is a better deal than cheap chinese crap. Crappy PSUs may endanger your whole PC.
    If you prefer new hardware an AMD HD 7750 is a good option since it's the most powerful card which has no additional 6 pin power socket, if your PSU is of good quality it should run fine with this card.
    Could you take a photo of the sticker on your PSU so that we can see its exact specs?

#24 Creak92, Aug 8, 2013
  5. Eruption

Eruption
    Expand Collapse

I did that, and it didn't even take 2 GB on cliff tumble. It used around 1300 MB average.
    Guess that's not my problem.

Thanks!

6. AceDeucey

AceDeucey
    Expand Collapse

A 7750 runs just south of $100. It also requires a 400W power supply (At least the one card I looked on newegg did). That will run about $20. A power supply is not something I would buy second hand. It has the potential to ruin the rest of your computer, so I want to make sure I'm getting something with a much smaller risk factor. Besides, I see 480W on newegg for less than $20.

7. Eruption

Eruption
    Expand Collapse

I would, but I don't even know what it looks like, let alone know where it is. I will look for it and, probably post a picture tonight or tomorrow.

Much appreciated!

8. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

It has the potential to ruin the rest of your computer... I'm sure that $20 worth of components, labour and the retailers cut will be able to deliver low ripple, within spec and safe power to the rest of the computer.

9. Eruption

Eruption
    Expand Collapse

Cool, I will be getting that relatively soon then! (Or at least I hope..)

- - - Updated - - -

I really appreciate the help you guys! Once I get the money, I think I'll get this stuff ASAP!

Thanks all!

10. Creak92

Creak92
    Expand Collapse

The HD 7750 I've posted costs $79 after you got a $10 discount card. Also it definitely doesn't needs a 400W PSU, the Newegg suggestions are crap. (Remember, they want to sell lots of overpowered and so more expensive PSUs to make more money...)
    An Athlon II X4 635 has a TDP of 95W and a Radeon HD 7750 needs less than 60W. Add 45W for other system components and you get a total consumption of 200W.
    That's because why I asked for a picture of the PSU to get its exact specs, modern hardware draws nearly all of its energy from the 12V line so if the 12V line of his PSU is strong enough he can run a HD 7750 without problems.
    Never suggest to buy a 480W-less-than-$20 PSU, it's utter crap and will definitely more likely fry your hardware than a used quality PSU made by a well established brand (Corsair, BeQuiet!, FSP, Cooler Master, Seasonic).

EDIT: The PSU is usually a gray box with lots of cables going out of it either at the top of your system or at the bottom.

(imported from here)

#30 Creak92, Aug 8, 2013
  11. Eruption

Eruption
    Expand Collapse

Just took it apart, I couldn't get a good picture of it because the writing is so small, sorry.

But I got the input and output for you!

Input: 100-127V ~ /6A 50/60
    Output: +5V(Line on top three dashes on bottom)/25A MAX +12V/14A MAX.
    Wattage is 250.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, (I am surprised too!) I can run two cars at almost the same fps as one!

12. Creak92

Creak92
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, that was the information I've looked for. Sadly your PSU puts out only a fraction of the combined wattage at 12V, the 12V line can put out only 168W which is not enough to add a dedicated graphics card.
    If you want to get a new and unused PSU have a look at this roundup, it may be helpful: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6013/350450w-roundup-11-cheap-psus/23
    Otherwise look e.g. at ebay for used PSUs from the manufacturers I've listed above. You might get a OEM PSU by FSP very cheap but make sure that it's more powerful than your current one;)
    It's no wonder you don't see much of a difference between one or two cars, your CPU is strong enough to calculate the physics but the graphics chip is too slow to render the frames at a fast enough rate. This basically proves our point that your graphics chip is a bottleneck;)

#32 Creak92, Aug 8, 2013
  13. Eruption

Eruption
    Expand Collapse

You're awesome! I can't thank you more than enough! :):D;)

- - - Updated - - -

Will something like this work?

[h=1]MSI GeForce GTX 650 N650-MD1GD5/OC Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0(x16), 1x Dual-Link DVI-I, 1x D-Sub (VGA), 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Fan.[/h]

14. Creak92

Creak92
    Expand Collapse

The GTX 650 is even more powerful than the card I've suggested but needs a little bit more energy, you'll definitely need a better PSU for this card. The GTX 650 needs to be attached to your PSU with a 6pin plug, either the PSU already has such a plug or you can use adapter cables.

15. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Without any car on the map the GPU is the bottleneck, but when he adds a car then the bottleneck is the CPU. He could even have a GTX Titan with 1 car in the map and still get the same fps, that's why getting a new GPU won't do much until he changes the CPU.

#35 Davidbc, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  16. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

What? The GPU is still the bottleneck with 1 car. I just had a quick scan through the thread, there was one guy saying that he was running the same CPU and a 560 and he was getting 40FPS, likely limited by the CPU there. Depending on what the guy with integrated currently gets, that could be a massive increase and make the game actually playable.

17. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Maybe some improvement because that GPU is really old, but ''And my budget is around $80.'' As I said, I would save money.

18. Eruption

Eruption
    Expand Collapse

Would this work?

[h=1]Ultra LSP450 450-Watt Power Supply[/h]
    Thank you SO MUCH for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

I think my plan is to get a new PSU, and a new GPU.
    If it doesn't run any better, then I will save up to get a new CPU.

Thanks for the help.

- - - Updated - - -

Problem is, I would like the PSU to fit inside the computer.
    My current PSU is
    Length: 5 1/2''
    Width: 5 15/16''
    Height: 3 3/8''

I don't know if I can get a new one to fit..

19. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

That is the standard size of an ATX Power supply. ;) As for which one to choose, I would't go for a PSU that isn't by Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, FSP, BeQuiet, Coolermaster, Fractal Design, EVGA, NZXT, XFX or Silverstone. That's a pretty long list, tons of choice, and pretty much all of these companies know how to design/build a PSU.

20. Eruption

Eruption
    Expand Collapse

Great, but how do I know it will fit inside the PC?
    Much thanks.. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Think I found one that would work..

[h=1]Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus[/h]Thank you guys so much!

:):):D:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice