Mac VS PC

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by pf12351, Apr 26, 2014.

?

Mac or PC

1. PC

92.2%
  2. Mac

7.8%
  1. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

I can't stand OSX, so the iMac I have runs on LINUX.... mac is fine for hardware, though overpriced... but the OS sucks.

2. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I personally just have some personal issues with Linux. I had to reinstall windows and FORMAT my ENTIRE SSD to get rid of Ubuntu. Why did I get rid of it? Well, mainly because it wouldn't accept my WiFi adapter, and even when I connected the router directly into the PC, it STILL wouldn't connect, or even see any networks. I couldn't download any drivers, because no internet. I also had to keep it on there so my PC could boot up, and when I removed Linux, it wouldn't let my computer boot to Windows instead. So I finally got it off. If I could get the internet to work, it might have been nice to have it on there.

I think that I do not have enough personal experience with Mac OSX to say whether I like Windows better. I probably do enjoy Windows more, because it is a bit more "advanced user" friendly (a lot easier to go through files, plenty of compatible programs, etc.), while, at least for the 30 minutes I have used a Mac, it seemed that the filesystem was a bit more confusing to navigate through.

I might add more to this post later, but I am in class currently.

3. Rand0mPsych0

Rand0mPsych0
    Expand Collapse

Our school has Macs running with Win XP as the primary OS.

The art room has those new paper-thin all-in-one macs, brilliant for editing and art related projects.

I'm a Win 7 guy, loved it when it came out, still do. Excellent for gaming, schoolwork, rendering, and the other frivolous things I do.

4. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

5. Svpracer

Svpracer
    Expand Collapse

Our school's computer lab runs mac minis w/ Win XP (deleted OSX) of which we then connect to a Win 7 virtual desktop... Our library has iMacs.

6. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

7. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

8. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

9. SeenCreaTive

SeenCreaTive
    Expand Collapse

PC hands down, Mac is nice because its hard to mess up, but for 1/4 of the price you can get a laptop with the same processor ram, graphics.

I had a guy brag how awesome Macs are to me just as we were walking out of the store with my mom's new windows laptop, he had a 3.0 ghz quad core with 8g of DDR 3, and he payed $1200. I showed him the specs of the one we bought for $399. In short he's not buying another mac.....

#29 SeenCreaTive, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  10. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

It's not that simple. Nearly every file in Linux can be an executable, whether it's a bash file, terminal script, or full-blown GUI program. The method of installing a wifi driver can vary, but generally it's a tarball which you extract and copy to wherever it needs to go.

The closest to an exe is probably the .deb file. For most apps though, you'll be using the ubuntu store or the terminal with the 'apt-get install' command.

11. Junky228

Junky228
    Expand Collapse

In all honesty it seems like linux is a little over their heads

12. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

You guys every heard of WINE? I don't linux, but it seems it would fix your problems.

13. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

WINE can be screwy.... I doubt it'd work for installing drivers.

14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Actually it doesn't even attempt to offer driver support.

EXE is exclusive to win32 executables. Linux is not win32. In my experience you should not have problems at all with Ethernet as most Ethernet devices support a fallback mode which Ubuntu includes drivers for as well as actual drivers for the most common devices on the market.
    The reformat thing, that is because the windows boot loader was overwritten by GRUB. In future it is possible to replace GRUB with the windows one again or simply remove Linux while leaving GRUB in place.

15. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I'm a Mac. Full force Apple supporter, I can't stand owning a PC. The only thing my tower knows how to do is break. I dislike Windows, I find it too buggy, unstable, and horrendously confusing at times. The only time I've had a Mac fail was one hard drive back in 2011, and that HDD was a Western Digital, which is junk anyway. I find the software library for a Mac to be just fine. I'm sitting here and can tall you that there is a nice selection from Valve, a couple Borderlands games and a Call of Duty or two that I can play on the MacBook I'm currently tying this on. Well... not MY MacBook, it's a bit old, but you get the point, unless you're a PC fanboy who acts like a sheep and jumps onto the bandwagon and must follow other people and don't "Think Different". PC's are noisy, unethical, ugly, horridly slow on most everyday hardware, and in the long run more expensive paperweights. Microsoft makes the only paid operating system on the planet. All versions on Linux are free, and as of Mac OS 10.9, OSX is free. So, why would sane people pay $100 for an operating system that is made for Microsofts wannabe iPad/Galaxy Tab and doesn't even work effectively on an everyday PC. Why the hell must I pay $120 for a yearly subscription to Microsofts actually quite decent Office software, when I can pay $20 for Apple's iWork, which is just as good, or free for Open Office, which is awful in every way? Being a programmer, I prefer to code on a Mac. Because Unix is a highly modified Linux, which is better in every way, Python and C# are nice and stable, where as in my programming class, our Windows boxes choke even with i7 3770's, and I'm fine with my little Core 2 Duo. If you have ever wondered what a hardcore Apple fanboy's opinion was, now you know. I went as far as working for Apple at an Apple store for 8 months.

Let's not even talk about Linux, that's just laughable.

EDIT: *Grabs popcorn*

#35 redrobin, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  16. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

not saying mac is horrible(in fact, i love it as much as i do windows, as they are both very useful and powerful OS's), but sounds like your windows pc's have a problem or something i'm running windows 8.1 on a cpu that's no where near as powerful as an i7-3770, and have 0 lag or slow or crash or any type of problems. (also, you might remove that linux part at the end of your post, people will murder you for saying that)

it sounds like you got horribly unlucky with all your windows computer's though (either that, or a virus)

noisy? lets see here *moment of silence* nope, no sound whatsoever coming from my windows pc (macs and windows computer's are both pc's, why does no one get that)

#36 logoster, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  17. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Whatever runs the internet.

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Someone just had to come in with the flaming.

Oh, OSX is a paid operating system (the 10.9 update is free for 10.8 users but the clean license is not) so yeah, microsoft totally make the only paid operating system. You may wish to define operating system in this context, numerous real time operating systems used industrially have license costs which make windows look rather cheap.

Office is not windows, is available for OSX and open office is available for windows. Your argument regarding office is totally irrelevant.

Unix is not a highly modified linux. UNIX is an old operating system released in 1973 and intended to be portable across systems. Linux and OSX are both UNIX-like however neither are UNIX derived.

If you wish to come out with the trolling, at least get it fucking right and back up your points with real data which can be independently confirmed

Want buggy, Apple still havent corrected the widespread issue known as the Ad Hoc networking option not working since the 10.9 update... Duplicated across several students on my course and my fathers own mac aswell as a lecturers mac and several apple forum users

19. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

That was pretty good! Couldn't stop laughing! You should really be a comedian when you get older.

20. CoopR1234

CoopR1234
    Expand Collapse

PC. It's the only choice along with Linux for builders, plus more game support. However, there is a reason why there are next to no viruses on Mac.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice