Making a Rim in blender (Problem)

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Rizor.org, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Rizor.org

Rizor.org
    Expand Collapse

Hello, I'm currently making a rim in blender which I wanna try and swap with the covet's original

I'm very new to blender just started some days ago..
    I've run across this problem at the center of it:
    I'm currently running Mirror, Array and Subdivision Surface on it.. I'm getting that kind of hard edge where the mirror centers

The picture is here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/iy04cjd7fduzd31/rimproblem.png

Does anyone have a clue on what I have done wrong? :)

Thanks in advance :)

2. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

This is why you don't apply modifiers until the very end. Press 'z' and check if you haven't accidentally derped a vert behind another after edge splitting.

Just letting you know now that subsurfing isn't recommended for game models.

3. Rizor.org

Rizor.org
    Expand Collapse

I didn't know that you shoulnt apply them before the end, I thought it was easier to see the progress as you went along, I've checked for duplicates, theres one that one at the edge..

No subsurfing at all? Just plain?

The poly count isn't that high if I take the subsurface down a little bit..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5qvzimykje5cit/Rim_prog_1.png

4. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Don't get me wrong; that's a great looking rim, but you have to take into consideration that when you have a rough limit of 50-60k tris, cylinders turn out to be absolute poly hogs. If you can keep the rim under 1.5k tris, I'll be impressed. How's the indent looking now?

5. Rizor.org

Rizor.org
    Expand Collapse

6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

The guys above are right, subsurface isn't good for game models. Ends up adding tons of edges and loops you don't need at all.
    Unless you are used to blender, I suggest to practice without sub surface, you can easily make a quality rim just from starting on a 32 vertices circle. Good luck.

Ah, remember the spokes are never flat, they are a bit curved outward then inward at the center of the rim.

7. Rizor.org

Rizor.org
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the feedback, I'll make one with subsurface just for show and without for this game :)

I'm using this picture as reference; rota_slipstream_16x7_5x100_e48_56_1_bronze_04.jpg

8. ferrettank

ferrettank
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Make sure your modifers are in the right order. Ex: Mirror first, subsurf after.

9. Rizor.org

Rizor.org
    Expand Collapse

I fixed the rim by changing the topology on it, I learnt from Blender's community that if you have 2 points that both have edges, you're gonna have a bad time, Still wondering how I can see how much poly's etc, this model has

10. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Go into object mode and apply the subsurf modifier. You'll have your final poly count in the top right corner. From there, you can ctrl+z to remove the modifier.

11. Rizor.org

Rizor.org
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice