Making Automation cars configurable

Discussion in 'Automation' started by Bogwash, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Bogwash

Bogwash
    Expand Collapse

I've been digging around in some of my Automation cars' files and trying to make different trim levels by using parts from other models I've exported, though I'm having trouble. I haven't been able to find a guide on this so I'm figuring it out as I go while documenting what I'm doing. Is this something anyone would be interested in?

I've managed to get the cars somewhat configurable, but it's a bit of a botch. Like I said, I've been having trouble. The wheels, suspension parts and engine can be changed, but only the values and not the entire part, if that makes any sense. It seems like the way that Automation cars are put together is backwards, all the flexbodies and nodes and stuff are in the main .jbeam file, rather than having .jbeam files for each piece, which makes it difficult to swap out parts and have them be visibly different. For example I can swap a 1.8L with a tuned 1.8L that makes more power and louder noises, but the mesh won't change, and I can swap the standard wheels for some race wheels and stiffer suspension, but the mesh won't change. Once I start trying to get meshes and materials and such from another car things start to not work.

Has anyone experimented with this?

2. Inn0centJok3r

Inn0centJok3r
    Expand Collapse

I was intending to make a tutorial about that eventually, your issue is that the model files seem to be conflicting with similarly named models that cause some weird things.
    Basically you have to rename every unique material and model of the new cars you added in

3. Bogwash

Bogwash
    Expand Collapse

So I need to copy over all the materials aswell, even though they should be able to load the same ones? I thought I was saving memory lol. I'll give that a try when I get back to it. Another thing I'm not really understanding is .DAE files. Do I need to make a multidae car or not?

I'd be interested if you were to make a tutorial btw, I have a couple of your automation mods and they're very well done imo.

(Late reply I know, I've been focused on learning map making recently and left this little project aside)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice