Making the Forums a Better Place

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Re:Z_IA, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Re:Z_IA

Re:Z_IA
    Expand Collapse

Making the Forums a Better Place

I’ve seen several posts lately complaining about the forums. Evreything from trolls, to underage users, to not having enough moderators. Well, I’m here to say that complaining won’t solve anything.

Yes, problems exist, but complaining just makes them worse. Especially with trolls, they are fueled by attention. Report posts if necessary, and move on. Let the moderators do their job and deal with the problems, it’s not our job to create more drama.

As the forum users, we can help by creating a friendly, supportive, community. I think half of the problem right now is how harsh the community generally is. We need to be more understanding of a new user makes a mistake, or bumps an old thread by mistake. We need to not get into massive arguments over opinions, and we need to think, and use some common sense, before posting. The posting guideline is there for a reason. Use it.

Most importantly, we just need to be friendly towards one another. Trolls and such will always exist, but don’t let them ruin it for the rest of us. It’s our job to make the community a better place. So let’s do so.

I’ve said it before, but friendliness goes a long way.

Thank you all for reading! I hope we can make a positive difference in the community. Every person can make a difference, even in the smallest of ways. (╹◡╹)

~~Rezia~~

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I agree that we should be more open and friendlier to newcomers. I've actually noticed very few new members that would continue to be active after a while. I remember I used to act all triggered like everyone else when people bumped threads, now I try to act more professional and be informative in a calm matter, stating how other users will not be happy with their choice.

I think it'd even be nice if users would be more open to helping newcomers to modding. I've come to believe that just linking them to the Wiki doesn't work in the slightest, it only leaves them confused and unable to proceed, especially if they don't know what it all means. Of course I'm not saying that we should cater to them like spoon feeding babies, especially if they appear to not even be interested in participating in the mods development. I think we should be more generous to offering them actual advice in terms they can understand, and if they can't actually figure it out, help them with what they don't understand. The Wiki is going to look like the Rosetta Stone to them. If you think about it, we could be like teachers to them.

The only thing I disagree with is what you said about trolls. I want to tell you why "report and move on" doesn't work as much as it should. Here's something I said on another thread that I think nailed it.

3. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for this post!

I agree with every word in here, I’ve witnessed lots of forum wars lately due to underaged immature kids.

4. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I have to agree with everything you said there, it about respecting everyone on here, I dont get involved in fights on the forums I come to see things differently and approach the problem from other angles and I tend to avoid the scraps and let the mods do their jobs

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

One thing that I don't like is people arguing over opinions. Let's say some says 'The Subaru WRX STI is ugly" and the other person says "I like the Subaru WRX STI you are ugly."

Also not a while ago a troll named @vansandpans was being disrespectful in @Narwhal's Pessima Wagon thread demanding it to be 'fixed.'
    http://web.archive.org/web/20171203161304/https://beamng.com/threads/89-pessima-wagon.40249/page-6
    http://web.archive.org/web/20171203155323/https://beamng.com/members/vansandpans.280654/

#5 Nathan24™, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I do get your sayings. I am from Car Throttle, and as a veteran user there, I know about it. On there, the conditions are nearly the same. Many people came, but a few might leave. Still, it's a great site tho, you can try to visit us too.
    As BeamNG fourms are the same conditions there, I advise that users should treat their "juniors" better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I am reading through that and at least hes been nuclear banned for life now

I have a lot of respect for younger members on the forums, if they show respect to the senior members so people who have been here for longer than 3 years (there about) we wont have an issue its common sense

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. FaizMAS118

FaizMAS118
    Expand Collapse

Now i know who is Narwhal....R.I.P Narwhal You be missed :( And that kid deserve to get banned for disrespecting
    People Who Already gone like Narwhal....
    --- Post updated ---
    I Agree This Forum Should be friendly

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

I'll say it again:
    We need a thread for people to introduce themselves, and it should be heavily advertised.
    Right now, new people who are actually interested in joining the forums just kinda get thrown into the forums with a slap on the back and a "good luck, they bite."

Maybe, we could make a group dedicated to welcoming new members? The "Welcoming Party" or something, idk how well that would work but you miss all the shots you don't take.
    6051162.png
    so I came back to this post an hour after initially typing it and forgot what I was going to use this picture for, but I've put it here anyway. :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

No.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

How is making fun of a dead person funny? You need to seriously rethink that comment.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Re:Z_IA

Re:Z_IA
    Expand Collapse

I agree completely!

I made this thread for introductions a few days ago, and have been posting this message on as many new user’s profiles as I can:

Welcome to BeamNG! Here is a link with some important info to get started! (*'▽'*) https://wiki.beamng.com/Welcome_to_the_Forums!

Obviously though, I can’t get every user, especially with the post cooldown. I also haven’t actually had anyone respond to the message yet, which is actually kind of disappointing.

But I agree completely on welcoming new members.

13. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

Isn't it no longer possible to make groups now though? I think the devs got bored of them being used for spam or something...

We could maybe get a few people together to go around posting something like Rezia is, but again I don't know how well it'll work...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice