1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Maluch JBeam rebuild

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by AdamPLGames, May 17, 2021.

1. EozCompanyCZ

EozCompanyCZ
    Expand Collapse

Problem with the 126p is that it uses completely different rear axle than any other car in BeamNG and the front axle is slightly different too, it uses a leaf spring instead of the lower arms, it’s a common construction and it allows a bit more flex which is the reason why the Pigeons classic double wishbone front axle is similar but not identical. It also uses equal length arms whilst Maluch’s upper arms are shorter than the lower arms, not by that much as on other similar designs but it still is.

2. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Pigeon is smaller but its suspension is made for heavy-ish weight, no use trying to use its suspension. My initial design of the leaf spring was based on it but it was bad and inaccurate. Wigeon has basically the same suspension but tuned for much lower weight. Generally I don't need help with nodes because everything is already placed pretty much where it should be, the issue is with the beams as they matter way more in suspension.
    Where did you find this image, I've been looking for a reference like this, it shows exactly where to position the transmission mounts, and also shows that my fuel tank position is off, here it's REALLY dangerously close to the suspension, and also this shows some pipe at the other side of the car than the fuel tank, what is that? This really helps but also raises many questions and means I have to redesign some stuff and possibly take the fuel tank model from another car to fit the geometry like this.

• Like Like x 2
  3. EozCompanyCZ

EozCompanyCZ
    Expand Collapse

I’ve run into it by accident yesterday when I was looking at the Wikipedia article about Vehicle frames.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_frame

That pipe next to the tramsmision is the heating

Attached Files:

• TopenMaluch.png
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Interesting, so it has the same heating pipe as the Piccolina and the Beetle have, going from the engine to the dashboard? This explains the existence of the floor tunnel despite the lack of long driveshaft. If this is the case then I won't bother making it a separate part because thermals are not simulated for the whole vehicle yet anyway so the absence of this pipe won't make any difference.

• Like Like x 2
  5. EozCompanyCZ

EozCompanyCZ
    Expand Collapse

Weirdly even the Water-cooled Fiat 600 used the same air setup because it was easier to make such a system (otherwise you could end up with a horrifyingly complicated system of pipes running through that tunnel, or even worst, like with the Škoda 105/120, you can add the radiator to the front and then there are four water pipes running through the tunnel).

However, I’d imagine that on its way through that tunnel the air must be cooled a bit, so the heating isn’t that efficient.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

I always wondered why the tires that are in the model were not used in the mod, so I added them to check. Now I see why.
    asdsdsd.png
    They are tiny lol, after rescaling them to the same size as the wheels so they fit properly, they turned out to be 135/45R12, while the normal ones are 135/80R12... In other words, the originals are 240mm in radius, while these are 215... I'll keep them because they are funny lol

Also sorry for general lack of progress, I'm having a busy week

#226 Agent_Y, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  7. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

Woah those are tiny.

8. EozCompanyCZ

EozCompanyCZ
    Expand Collapse

135/45 R12 are sooooo tiny, hitting a bigger pothole with those tires will almost definitely damage your rims, like this…

The caption says:

“Return from a Sunday trip on our roads.”

The picture is from an old number of Svět Motorů (Czechoslovak, car magazine still active today)

Attached Files:

• Demagedrimkoda1000MB.jpeg
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Kinda ugly but good enough I guess, modified model and textures from the I-Series fuel tank, looks janky because I had to fit it to this messy and wildly inaccurate model and after that it turned out that it's clipping with the underside which I didn't notice due to it being a separate model that doesn't fit the rest geometrically, so I had to improvise to fix it. I guess this is better than nothing? A proper dedicated model would be 1000 times better but someone would have to remodel at least the whole underside and rear suspension of the car from scratch to make a fuel tank fit with the proper shape.
    wadsas.png

Edit: Also added Pigeon race tires and with them it behaves like the old version of the mod lol
    adadsdsad.png

#229 Agent_Y, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  10. EozCompanyCZ

EozCompanyCZ
    Expand Collapse

Weeeeee!!!! :D

I know it's a useless reply but I couldn't help myself

11. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

found this video on youtube, fiat 126 rebuild, wonder if itll be of any help, though it is kindof like a vlog but meh.

12. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

I've already seen it, the only thing it helps with is that I can see how the worn out engine mounts behave, it looks like a wobbly collapsed spring, which makes sense because it is one

• Like Like x 1
  13. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

ah. ok!

14. Turbo49>

Turbo49>
    Expand Collapse

Did you add the pigeon offroad tires as well ?

15. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Yeah as soon as 0.23 came out, all Pigeon wheels are also available

• Like Like x 2
  16. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Finally some progress. I have redone the transmission so it's accurate to the image posted earlier, used a resized Autobello transmission model (that I already had in the transmission of the F2 engine), attached the transmission mounts additionally to the nodes shared by both the engine and transmission for more rigidity, and finally I could make engine mounts that behave like a spring. Worn out beater version included that behaves similarly to the one in the video posted in the thread, the engine moves around from just starting and revving with it and it's a lot less stable when driving lol.
    dwdad.png
    Now I have to take care of other not very stable things in the Jbeam, such as plastic FL/EL parts and stuff.
    --- Post updated ---
    There was a lot less to fix than I thought, the new engine mounts reduce wobbles that were previously causing structural stress on the rear bar, which was affecting the old decklid that had wrong weight. Now the issue is fixed with the new mounts. There were still issues with tow hitch, all plastic bumpers, widebody, tilting windows and leaf spring, but I fixed it all already. Now testing random weird combinations of parts to see if any of them cause issues. As you can see this one doesn't have any excessive forces or stress.
    SDFSDFSD.png
    Some more testing and then I'll add interior.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Started the interior. For now I have animated pedals (kinda hard to see with these colors):
    dasdaadaww.png
    And animated parking brake:
    sdaasas.png
    Shifter won't be animated because I have no idea how and vanilla cars don't have animated manual shifters either. I added all 3 versions + optional TAN gear knob for each of them:
    sadassd.png
    And also interior mirrors:
    dasadsasd.png
    So basically all stuff the mod had previously, but with animated stuff, and you can swap each part separately for more customization. Tomorrow I'll make the dashboard.

• Like Like x 7
  18. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

woah. this is coming along nicely! Looks very nice.

one question, does the parking brake still 'stick' even when its at 0%?

19. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

I have no idea what this means, it behaves like the Autobello parking brake because I based it on that (no I didn't just "copy the code" or something, it was way harder than that, required changing a lot of stuff in Blender)

• Like Like x 2
  20. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

What I meant was they, when you released the parking brake, it used to stick for a few more seconds even when the brake pressure was at 0%

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice