Map Editor Heightmap - Splatmap or such?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by andreasus, May 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. andreasus

andreasus
    Expand Collapse

Is it possible to import a splatmap with rgb channels where other materials are painted on the terrain when you import a heightmap, kinda like this:

Or is there only autopaint and manual texture painting?

Right now this is what I am testing with autopaint:

#1 andreasus, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

I can't remember if splatmaps work in the most recent version of Beamng. However, grayscale images with no alphas work. Each black and white image should show a particular layer. It should be noted that more than three layers can be used. These images will need to be imported from a file within beamng.drive's installation folder. The content file works.

The option to set an image as grayscale can be found under the mode section in Gimp. This process can also be done in Photoshop.

grayscaleexample.png

Here is an image of the terrain import button in beamng.

grayscaleexample2.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. andreasus

andreasus
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I imported my heightmap and generated the terrain like that, although with world machine or other terrain generation software you can also generate a splatmap, which has 3 colors and represent different materials, which are then applied in that region of the map, without manually or autopainting the materials.

4. Miura

Miura
    Expand Collapse

When importing the heightmap, press the [+] next to Texture Map to use splatmaps. RGBA or RGB images work, it creates a layer from each channel. Using more than one image for more layers should work too. I think the splatmaps had to be flipped vertically to match the heightmap.

A pixel in the terrain can have only one material, so blending materials doesn't work. It's better to edit the image before importing so it has only pure red, green and blue (or black and white if using one image per layer).

• Like Like x 4
  5. andreasus

andreasus
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Miura, that is what I need, I'm going to test it out later ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice