On Hold Martin PBM Mariner

Discussion in 'Air' started by PrimeTheBomber, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

edit
    video is uploading. not the best, but meh it works
    /edit
    i may make a video b/c all the ones on youtube are overcomplicated when all you need is an unwrapped plane. for now, look at this one

mine. didnt realize it hid the cursor. oops

#21 Narwhal, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  2. PrimeTheBomber

PrimeTheBomber
    Expand Collapse

Seems easy enough, I'll give it a shot.

3. 2SLOW4U

2SLOW4U
    Expand Collapse

am I the only one who thinks the modeling looks like a wee wee (no offence looks great)

4. 22RLUX

22RLUX
    Expand Collapse

If that's what you think a "wee wee" looks like, i suggest you consult a doctor imminently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PrimeTheBomber

PrimeTheBomber
    Expand Collapse

Man, I was gonna say the same thing. Also, judging by how he calls it a "wee wee" and says his current location is "with your mom" he's probably not old enough to be here...

6. PrimeTheBomber

PrimeTheBomber
    Expand Collapse

Man, I love the internet:
    Managed to find some inside shots
    http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29712
    And a great video showing how the beaching gear works:

- - - Updated - - -

While it may not seem, this picture I found today is one of the most important and rarest I've been able to find. The only I managed to find, and yet only of a model.

If you haven't spotted why that is, look at the nose. This is the first time I've seen a Mariner with its bomb window covers open. These triangular shaped doors cover the bomb window during take off and landing, to make it more aerodynamic and keep the water from breaking through the glass behind them.

#26 PrimeTheBomber, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  7. burilkovdeni

burilkovdeni
    Expand Collapse

8. PrimeTheBomber

PrimeTheBomber
    Expand Collapse

Very useful, thanks. I myself managed to get some more nice pictures today. Also bought a 1/144 scale model of the PBM-3D, should arrive Friday :)
    Here's a look at the differences between a few Mariner variants:

(imported from here)

9. bigcrazycarboy

bigcrazycarboy
    Expand Collapse

If you need any help, theres a good model on a game called War Thunder. It's downloadable via Steam. You may be forced to play a bit to get it, but it gives you a full 3D model.

#29 bigcrazycarboy, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  10. PrimeTheBomber

PrimeTheBomber
    Expand Collapse

While I appreciate the suggestion, I've had War Thunder for over a year now. It's a good game, but has serious balancing issues. Plus it doesn't have a PBM Mariner (It has the PBY Catalina instead) and while the CDK is supposed to help, you need 3dsmax to edit what you extract, that is if extracting things worked.

- - - Updated - - -

So for my seventh attempt I'm trying to follow Mitch's tutorial (Low poly model -> Jbeam -> high poly model) but is it accurate for complex objects like planes as well? There are a lot of parts that have to break off, how do I jbeam them?

Introduction_to_Vehicle_Creation

I kinda get the feeling my low poly model is too high poly. Looking at the B-25's jbeam, it's just a bunch of rectangles that barely resemble the plane itself.

Medium poly.png

- - - Updated - - -

So I've been working on the low poly model to use for the jbeam. So far it's pretty basic, but has the 5 hull sections, flaps and ailerons as separate parts. The wing can break in 2 different spots. The horizontal & vertical stabilizers, bomb bay doors, bombardier's window doors and props are still missing. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
    jbeam 3.png

Attached Files:

• jbeam 3.png
    #30 PrimeTheBomber, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  11. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

I apologize in advance if I'm saying anything that you already know.

In order to make pieces most easily break off, you'd use slots. There's no documentation on them, but they're basically extra pieces added to the exterior hull of a vehicle. In the case of virtually every official vehicle, the vehicles themselves are a simple starting point (almost always the frame or unibody) with extra pieces attached. To get an idea of how this breaks down, spawn any vehicle, open the parts selector (Ctrl+W) and set every field to 'empty.'

In the primary vehicle file (usually named the same as the vehicle) you should see this near the top:

Code:
    "slotType" : "main",
    "slots": [
            ["type", "default", "description"]
            ["rwing", "RWing", "Right Wing"]
            ["lwing", "LWing", "Left Wing"]
    ],

'Slot type' defines what the slot is/contains, I.E. wheels, engine, panels, etc. The 'slots' field defines what parts are attached to this part. 'Type' defines what part type can fit into this slot, 'default' defines what object normally fills the slot, and 'description' is what the slot will be written as in the parts selector. These parameters allow you to make the extra pieces (in this case, wings) in other .jbeam files.

To use this, we must create new files named exact to our 'default' fields (RWing.jbeam) and/or files that have different names from the description, but contain appropriate 'SlotType' fields:

Code:
    "slotType" : "rwing",
    Changes to 'description' won't cripple anything, they just make it easier to use.

12. PrimeTheBomber

PrimeTheBomber
    Expand Collapse

I think I understand (Kinda). I'll look into that tomorrow after class. For now, I've almost finished making the low poly base, though I fear the poly number may be too high already:
    jbeam 4.png
    All that's left is the turrets, the propellers, the bomb bay doors, bombardier's window doors and the waist hatches. Is one supposed to jbeam the interior? Cause if so I also need to do that. And cross brace all the faces (Which might take a while). I'll also look into hydros (I wanna see if it's possible to change the propeller pitch with them). For now I'm going to bed. Thanks for the info, Razer.

13. bigcrazycarboy

bigcrazycarboy
    Expand Collapse

I know a guy who makes airplane blueprints for another game I know. I'll tell him I need blueprints for the plane, but they usually don't come with measurements. Also, he gets a lot of requests, so no promises that I'll be able to get them. He does make them for front, side, and bottom though. Usually not all 6 sides, sadly.

14. PrimeTheBomber

PrimeTheBomber
    Expand Collapse

That'd be swell, thanks man. No worries about not having measurements, I already know 'em. For the record, I realise you mean there is a slight chance of getting it, not a sure thing ('Cause reading back it sounds like I don't). There is no hurry whatsoever, I'm still touching up the jbeam.

- - - Updated - - -

Then Prime said: "Let there be floats!" :D
    jbeam 5.png
    Wing floats are done. It's a pretty simple setup, really, but I'm sure it'll be enough for the jbeam. Now for the bomb bay doors.

- - - Updated - - -

Which are also done! Simple rectangles can double as both low poly model for jbeam and as the inner part of the bomb bay doors on the real models.
    jbeam 6.png

- - - Updated - - -

Waist hatches are done, now for bomb window covers.
    jbeam 7.png
    They have an edge down the middle because the front half is hinged to the back half. It turns 180 degrees, then the entire door turns around 90 into the fuselage.

- - - Updated - - -

Bomb window covers have been finished, what was next? Anyway, they're done.
    jbeam 8.png

The propellers are done. They currently sit at a 45 degree angle. If prop pitch is possible, I might make it via gears (Park being feathered, Neutral being coarse pitch, Drive (And all other gears) being high). The full part list so far can be seen on the right.
    jbeam 9.png
    Working on the beaching gear. Work is a lot easier than usual since beaching gear has no suspension (Sorry guys, it's gonna be a bumpy ride). When I make the rear wheel I'll probably need to do a lot more work, since it is steerable.

Getting pretty close to the jbeam, you guys excited?

#34 PrimeTheBomber, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  15. bigcrazycarboy

bigcrazycarboy
    Expand Collapse

Alright, so he didn't make it, but he called a few guys and they eventually came up with this:
    PBM-5S_BuAer_3_side_view.jpg

I really hope this helps!
    It's a lucky find since he usually only does airliners. Good Luck!

16. PrimeTheBomber

PrimeTheBomber
    Expand Collapse

Uhm, dude, I already have that one. In fact it's the first one I used. In fact, I used it just this weekend in order to make the low poly wings and tail section. It's on the wikipedia page of the Mariner:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_PBM_Mariner#Specifications_.28PBM-1.29
    It's a great one, only problem I had with it was resolution. Still, thanks for trying.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess what came in the mail today!

(imported from here)
    (imported from here)

(imported from here)
    A-20 for scale:

(imported from here)

(imported from here)
    Man, I still can't believe how huge a Mariner is! It towers over the A-20! For those of you unfamiliar with it, an A-20G is a light bomber almost as big as a B-25. Oddly enough, all 3 (The B-25, the A-20 and the PBM-3) use the same engines!

#36 PrimeTheBomber, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  17. MadMan43

MadMan43
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

is this plain going to float?

18. PrimeTheBomber

PrimeTheBomber
    Expand Collapse

Theoretically. I'll talk to DrowsySam about that later. For now i'm more concerned about the basic jbeam and making throttle and rudder inputs.

19. Rollover

Rollover
    Expand Collapse

Are the bomb window covers actually water tight or do they just push aside and slow water getting to the window? (On the real plane of course, I don't think water tightness is possible in Beam.)

20. bigcrazycarboy

bigcrazycarboy
    Expand Collapse

oh

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice