Released Matrix Freeway 1.7

6KM-long freeway inspired by the Matrix: Reloaded

1. monte379

monte379
    Expand Collapse

Re: Matrix Freeway

Thanks for the idea, I just tried it out and it was fun indeed:cool: It looks like realistic crashes:cool:

2. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Hell yeah, catching up to a vehicle and pitting it into the jersey barrier is sweet. Also watching the vehicles ahead rolling over into your
    path makes for a nice slalom course of sorts. Pure minimalist awesome sauce. Once The AI gets solid this should be epic and will essentially
    fulfill my carnal wet dream of a freeway and real time deformation mayhem. :cool:

3. monte379

monte379
    Expand Collapse

Yup it reminds me of NASCAR when they avoid a crash or get caught in one. Nice job Occam's Razer;)

4. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

While in game, press CTRL+O, and you should see this:

Troubleshooting001.png

Press the 'select' button in the color correction tab of the menu on the left [highlighted here in green]. Then a navigation window will open. By default, Torque will start you in the Documents directory. Navigate instead to the Steam (or wherever you put the installed version) installation directory, under scripts>postfx.

Troubleshooting002.png

I, too, am using 0.3.7.7, so if you did this exactly and are still not getting the results seen above, I'm not sure if I can help you.

Im'a go... do something... for a bit...

5. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

One of the stock four lane spec maps with a wee bit of specular added kinda looks cool. I love the asphalt texture but it needs just a little bit of 'bite'.
    I was only able to find one normal worth anything and it matched the diffuse so perfectly it didn't even make a difference. Screens are with and
    without 4 lane SM and specularity. If you want to implement the values are 0.196 spec strength 25-35 spec 'area'. Just a suggestion.:cool:

screenshot_00011.png screenshot_00013.png
    With Without

6. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

I've always done it exactly as you have done it, and I fired the computer up and tried again and it simply doesn't work.

I DID figure out a hacky way to fix it though, if you want the colour ramp, just edit the default postFX settings file (since it loads it every startup) to use the matrix colourramp, and if you're not using the matrix map just click reset.

I'm thinking it might have to do with being in fullscreen (not borderless) and/or having BeamNG on a different drive (D:)

7. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Freshly updated... again. The road now has basic specular and normal maps. Nothing special, but it should add just a hint more depth. I also fixed another road sign that wasn't accurate to the real deal, and gave the retaining walls some backfaces, which will keep light from bleeding through the wall.

8. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Road looks great man! Thanks. I hope you decide to baby this thing along with incremental goodies. Nothing torrid or demanding...keep it fun.:cool:

9. Joe voss

Joe voss
    Expand Collapse

my Freeway is fuckup the texters are gone plz fix deleted it then reinstalled it

10. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

I'll say the same thing everyone else says when someone comes to them with a problem: Did you clear your cache?

And more importantly, are you in stable or experimental build?

11. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

Just wanna point out that there is not experimental build right now.

12. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Are you sure? The T-Series remains unfinished, and I doubt the devs would want an artistically incomplete vehicle in-game. That, and the .cdae changeover was an unexpected disaster.

A quick new update; just gave the overpasses a little extra detail, and am using a detail map to vary the road surface a bit. Now the freeway should be about 10-12km long.

13. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I see some weathering on the bridges and what looks like faint washed out skidmarks on the asphalt and cracking/weathering on the white shoulder.
    Looks good.

14. mrboojay

mrboojay
    Expand Collapse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzThB33bulY&

Challenge accepted :)

15. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Well done man!! I was laughing the whole time.:cool: I must ask, did you use physics pause voodoo to get all the vehicles to match your take off?

16. AR162B

AR162B
    Expand Collapse

Is it an idea to, when the waypoints for AI is out, make a looped version of this highway? The original highway set has two curves, they shot the movie driving on both lanes so it looked like there were even more. Adding (connected? or just to turn around to the other road half half of the road) on and offramps would also be great. Notice on the set the tunnel-onramp and elevated offramp used in the movie are at the same location, but at the other side of the road.
    There's also a (in the movie completely computer animated) large highway interchange, if a figure 8 shaped lay-out of the highway is made this would be even functional :D

(just some ideas, I've got no idea how difficult or time consuming this is...)

Attached Files:

• MatrixFwy3.jpg
    • onset_reloaded_49.jpg
  17. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

I've been milling around how [if at all] to further this concept for the last few weeks. A figure-8 version with AI waypoints, curves, and maybe on/off ramps are not ideas I think impossible. The biggest issue for me, however, is math. If I make a curved section of freeway, I'd need to calculate not only the location of the next several sections diagonally, but also the positions of the various lightposts and signs that exist along that curved stretch.

Another thing I've been milling over is whether to make the road's background surroundings, as canon to the film. That mostly seems to be some indistinct industrial miscellanea, with some impossibly large financial centers in the background. For now, I seem content making the road itself.

The last major hurdle, then, is time. A job and a few other projects, one of them collaborative, are already eating up quite a bit of my time. This map was only really ever intended to be a fun, simple little project on the side of all that. Which is not a no, just a cautious maybe. You've got a couple ideas I like there.

Edit: One quick note, the tunnel seen just before the chase gets to the freeway is actually not part of the NAS Alameda set, but an actual tunnel in the greater Oakland-Alameda area [Source].

#37 Occam's Razer, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  18. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

Do the city/financial centers need textures?
    if not, i have a giant untextured city object that i think works in beamng. Only problem is it has to be split into parts to import.
    0580d291a8.png

19. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Perhaps keeping it in simple steps is the best way to proceed. Since we're putting out ideas I would recommend some nice on/offramps that
    would go to the overpasses and allow a simple and cool way to get to the other side. Another idea would be to have "turn around"
    openings in the center divider (like the police use). This would make for some interesting crashing into oncoming AI traffic.

With this maps geometric simplicity and AI the possibilities for realistic traffic crashes are truly mind boggling.:cool:

20. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Ah, don't worry about it. It's a pretty simple build anyway. Just some tall rectangles with basic patterns emblazoned on their faces. The problem I have is that I try too hard to only make things that make logical/structural/infrastructural sense. This, though:
    m2reloaded-freeway27.jpg
    At that scale, the buildings in the back row would probably be toward 600-800 meters tall and roughly the width of the Pentagon. If my math is correct. Which it probably isn't.

I'm trying to stick with the source material where possible, but there is a part of the chase that shows a break in the divider:
    m2reloaded-freeway05.jpg
    I was planning to add something like that at some point, anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice