Re: Matrix Freeway

This is cool map

#41 nvidiategra45, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  2. AR162B

AR162B
    Expand Collapse

I don't know why I just found out about this reply; first off all it's great you have been thinking about expanding it :p
    Hasn't a curved highway such a large radius the difference in length between the inner and outer lanes can be neglected? I would just stretch the outside part and shorten the inside of a section a tiny bit so a curve can be made from a section (and that section can be reused for other bends).
    Those surroundings I was afraid for... A not-too-high overpass can have a surrounding wall to block a part of the the view, but at a large intersection it would be a bit unrealistic. The reason I mentioned a tunnel for a shortcut was so you won't have to account for the surroundings :p

3. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

The problem with curving the freeway doesn't have anything to do with modeling, as much as it does with my ability to calculate vectors. The current sections are 28 (short stretch and overpass), 56 (freeway exits... yes I'm building exit ramps) and 112 (standard section) meters long. As long as the freeway only moves in cardinal directions (perfectly aligned to X or Y), I can easily and mathematically interpret where the next section is to be placed. Throw in an angle anywhere between 0-90 degrees, and it becomes much harder. I could make the corners exactly 90 degrees, but I feel that would be a bit too simple, and would seem too mechanical to the player.

The other problem has to do with AI. Even with the promises of more stable AI in the upcoming updates, pathfinding has yet to be mentioned. As I built Matrix Freeway with the soul intent of it being a playground for/with the AI, adding in curves that the current chase AI cannot navigate seems unwise.

I'll figure something out. Push comes to shove, I can just rely on the player to forgive visual gaps in the level.

Needless to say, there is an update fast approaching.

4. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Aaaaaand it's here.

The new update includes emergency turnaround lanes (which double as great flip ramps!), and a basic system for exit ramps and useable overpasses. They're a little rough, so take care.
    Freeway5.png
    And AI waypoints, but use at your own risk.

5. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

So simple, yet my favorite map <3.
    2015-03-15_00007.jpg

6. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

Is it still the same length or have to extended it?

7. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Slightly longer, ~12 KMs to the former version's 10. Should I go a bit further?

8. burilkovdeni

burilkovdeni
    Expand Collapse

For me I get a lot of failed to create dae.

Attached Files:

• 2015-04-18_00001.jpg
    • 2015-04-18_00002.jpg
    • 2015-04-18_00013.jpg
  9. jplayer

jplayer
    Expand Collapse

could you add TOD, for night races, chases, cruising?

10. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Me too. Deleted caches everywhere. Will look into further later.

11. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Hmm... I cleared my cache completely to see what a fresh install would do, I don't see any change on my end. Strange. Which .DAE's aren't working?

I could, but it wouldn't be very impressive. There are 254 streetlights in the level, and I don't know of any way to position the light objects automatically. Moreover, I don't think TOD-based light activation is possible, so you'd see a substantial hit on performance regardless of day/night.

12. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

It looks like all of the new ramps, exits and turn .dae's are failing to load. I'm going to do a total uninstall and re-download.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay I think I've found the problem. In the main level .mis all the new stuff is is looking at "mods/levels/Matrix_Freeway/ etc..... and
    the rest of the levels .dae's are looking at "levels/Matrix_Freeway/ etc...

Deleted the "mods" part of the filepath and she works fine. Nice work man and thanks! I absolutely love the minimalist carnal satisfaction
    this level provides.:cool:

13. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

How exactly do I delete that filepath?

14. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Doubleclick on the Matrix_Freeway.mis file itself and it should open it in notepad by default. Simply highlight and delete the words mod and save.

That filepath should be the exact same for everything in that .mis file.

15. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

Nadeox1 did it with Mt.Shell, and Mecke96 did it with CorrRacing, so it's deffinately not impossible.
    Just have a look at how they did it, maybe you'll find out how to do it.
    But, Yeah, the FPS drop would be very big.
    Like, just turning the lights on on any car gives me a massive FPS drop, so I'd never be able to play this map then.

16. burilkovdeni

burilkovdeni
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the fix Aboroath it worked.

17. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

You are welcome!:cool:

As for the lighting, I put a light in every single streetlight in Expressway sometime back and the framerate hit was quite
    heavy. There is a LUA scheme I think that others have done to get TOD activated lighting. I put some lights in Matrix
    and it seemed somewhat dull and unrealistic with just the center poles lit. In my opinion quite a few additional lights
    would be needed. It definitely looks cool and the T3D lighting is good enough but there's a big FPS penalty.

Expressnight1.jpg Expressnight15.jpg Expressnight13.jpg Expressnight4.jpg

#57 Aboroath, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  18. kruleworld

kruleworld
    Expand Collapse

this has potential for some interesting games of chicken and other craziness with the AI. hopefully the way point system is improved to where you can have the ai use the road properly.

Here's a head-on between a couple of cars

(imported from here)

(imported from here)

19. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. I've finally gotten around to releasing a new, patched version that should fix this. I've also made the AI waypoints easier to follow, so hopefully more powerful vehicles won't miss waypoints as easily.

Sorry it took so long, I've had some other things in the works.

20. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I haven't even touched the AI yet. Guess that's alright considering it can only get better by the time I do. Good to hear you're "working on things".:cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Good god, the entire super is inside the Hirochi.....outstanding!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice