Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Dummiesman, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

I've heard places like Microcenter has a lot of mechanical keyboards on display that you can play with. I know Best Buy usually has a few on display. (Stuff like the Razer whatever, Logitech thingamajig, Corsair thingermajigger.)

Blues: Clicky and loud
    Reds: Much less clicky (No real "tactile" bump or whatever you call it) and quieter. People say this is better for gaming, but whatever.
    Browns: Mix of the two

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. I have Reds, kinda wish I had Browns.

2. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Why? That takes up a lot of space. Do this.

3. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Reds are linear switches. No tactile or audible feedback at all until they're bottomed out, quiet but awful to type on in my experience.
    Browns have tactile feedback, a little bump when you press them to activation point.
    Blues have the same tactile feedback as browns as well as an audible click. Pretty nice for typing, can be a bit loud for gaming though.
    Blacks, clears and greens are heavier versions of reds, browns and blues respectively.

4. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

There's also MX Green switches. Which are just MX blues which take a little more force to press.

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Yeah he mentioned those

Although it should be noted that while browns and blues are very similar in feel, the brown is still ever so slightly lighter than the blue.
    I'd be willing to try some clears although I am quite content with my browns. I do not like the audible click of a blue and reds actually feel worse than membrane to me.

6. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Whoops, skimmed too fast.

7. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, browns have the same actuation force as reds while blues are slightly heavier.
    If I had to buy a Cherry keyboard I'd go for greens, I prefer buckling spring though.

8. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Hm, sounds like clears or browns would be my choice. I'll see if a store around here has a keyboard with those on them

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

if you bottom one out, a brown is still noisier than membrane btw. You have rubber membrane dampening the key as it bottoms out, you don't on an mx so you still have the clack of the underside of the keycap bottoming out.

10. iskanderarjah

iskanderarjah
    Expand Collapse

You should get the Logitch G710+ It has Brown switches and those seriously are the best for beginners/professionals

11. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I thought that this was why people liked to add o-rings? I have not tried an MX or MX-type keyboard with o-rings installed.

12. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Yup. I did try using little rubber dental bands for my braces once, didn't like it and went back to normal. But some people do prefer it. Might be good if you have MX Blues and roommates or something.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice