On Hold "Meshlap" McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II

Discussion in 'Air' started by Happyhusky, Mar 26, 2024.

1. Happyhusky

Happyhusky
    Expand Collapse

I'm planning to make an F-4 Phantom meshlap of the Me-262 with custom jbeams by @Stoat Muldoon , I'm currently re-assembling the model from Xplane 11.
    It would be hugely appreciated if anybody can provide tips and support both technical and emotionally.
    A list will be put here after I gather all the parts I need.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Indoraptor23

Indoraptor23
    Expand Collapse

hey, i just saw this on the simulator adventures discord server
    i was talking to you on it

3. Happyhusky

Happyhusky
    Expand Collapse

Hello there! Did you make the Ferra- I mean Civitta 488 mod?

4. alainmugica1

alainmugica1
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, but the speed of the me262 is more similar to the F4 one so it wouldnt make sense to meshslap the Avro Arrow instead

• Like Like x 1
  5. alainmugica1

alainmugica1
    Expand Collapse

ye true

6. Happyhusky

Happyhusky
    Expand Collapse

Sorry about that, I'm working this mostly as a private project, the only reason I'm putting it on the forum is so I can share progress and I'm scared of a harddrive failure. Not planning to publicly release it. But do you mind if I use it tho?
    --- Post updated ---
    I'm planning to get my own jbeams, like you said meshlapping an F-4 onto a 262 is like Pigeon to F1 car. I don't have much modding knowledge so I can only result to changing the model, jbeam and variables.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Indoraptor23

Indoraptor23
    Expand Collapse

ye

8. Happyhusky

Happyhusky
    Expand Collapse

Belive it or not, from my experience with the F-4 in Xplane 11, it has a really similar flying characteristic with the Me-262 in BNG. They can both enter a flat spin and lose control when you pull too hard. The handling even feels similar.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Happyhusky

Happyhusky
    Expand Collapse

I'm planning to use the jbeam file for the engines and other stuff but swap out the nodes and beams with a delta wing that fits the F-4 properly.

I'm just talking about the flying characteristics between the 2 games, the main difference I felt between them is that the F-4 is much more maneuverable at lower speeds. Also, I really think the 262 mod feels like a tail dragger since the plane tilts up hard when accelerating fast on the TLR 003R engines. I believe there were taildragger models in the early stages of the 262 right?
    --- Post updated ---
    This mod is getting out of the boundary of a meshlap since I'm getting custom jbeams and modified engines and controls. (I got the artificial horizon models ready, I'll see if I can get some instrument lua out of the Avro Arrow interior. I will ask Dummiesman for perm this time of course)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Happyhusky

Happyhusky
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much for the advice, I'll avoid these in the future. Main reason I used the 262 as a template was because it had missiles and a lot of detailed control surfaces like axis controls on the flaps; and probably all the moving parts like canopy and throttle level etc.
    I would have definitely resulted to the Mirage 2000 mod to do this if "the event" didn't happen, since they have a similar model and only mostly differ on the wings.

I have also somewhat improved the Me-262 Textures by removing the shade and details on the Me262_main_d.dds and adding them to all the livery files, now it looks much like how it looked in the older versions. I'll post them here or in my other thread regarding the texture issues.
    Me, @HighBeam9000 and a few others have been slowly improving the broken features on the 262 for around a month or so, thus far we have got the brakes fixed and added the historical symbol onto the tail(You know what it is but I'm not going to say it. I only added it because I wanted to do some short films in the future.) we are currently working on split throttles and difference of onChange/onUp/onDown. It was really fun working with those people, and that's why I had the idea of making this mod here: to make another plane for people to enjoy, but I didn't have much knowledge in modding so I got the best choice: Me-262.
    I will probably share this plane within a small community so it doesn't get stolen and get posted on Modland(I think there are already F-4s on It).

I do have a quick question: Do you add invisible small beams on top of the control surfaces? I think there are a few on the Elevators etc. I don't think I'm up to the stage of doing this yet but I'm just asking for the future.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LegThePeg Official

LegThePeg Official
    Expand Collapse

This dude's entire idea of fun, it seems, is to bump old threads and make improvements to aircraft nobody asked for
    (the 'improvements', not the aircraft themselves

12. Happyhusky

Happyhusky
    Expand Collapse

Oh well then I guess there are tens of thousands of "nobody" wanting someone to fix the weird texture and the brakes.
    And I only bump threads if I think they are interesting and shouldn't die just yet.
    --- Post updated ---
    I set it as if I did ask for perms and it doesn't even exist anymore so that's just an imagination.

I haven't, and never will offically release it anywhere. Despite me being a dumbass I still have common sense in community safety. I know what will happen when somebody does bad things with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Happyhusky

Happyhusky
    Expand Collapse

i'm gonna hold this for now since I have another project to work on, will resume once the others are finished.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Happyhusky

Happyhusky
    Expand Collapse

I didn't make the brakes, and I'm not planning to release the texture until I fix it entirely.
    Actually, the main reason most people don't care about it is the fact that it has a lot of issues with textures and codes. If somebody fixes or overhauls it then there is a good chance that it's gonna be very popular again. Also despite it having issues, it's still getting a lot of downloads. The 262 has a lot of potential and it's a waste letting it die. If you aren't doing it then I'm sure there are passionate people who will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Happyhusky

Happyhusky
    Expand Collapse

Is it too much stress to maintain or?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Andryusha

Andryusha
    Expand Collapse

Still it got 200k downloads since its release and many people had thousands of hours of fun while flying it, me included.
    Thank you for your contribution to Beam modding scene.

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice