1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

[META] Cancelled projects archive?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Candlekeeper, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Candlekeeper

Candlekeeper
    Expand Collapse

Already there is alot of cancelled projects.
    While it is totally understandable that you might not want to finish your project for what ever reason.
    This is filling up the vehicle mods section with a graveyard of WIP models and dead threads.

Now I suggest there to be an archive for these threads.
    They can still be useful for referencing discussion or images, or if you come back and want to finish your project you could ask a moderator to move your already existing thread back. (or if you are unsure just use the on hold prefix whille you take a break from creating vehicles for us all to enjoy :) )

What do you guys think?

(Also, if a mod wants to move this to general discussion because it's a meta thread, that's totally understandable, yo.)

Edit: This goes for all other mod sections as well, I just happened to be in this subfora when I thought of it.

#1 Candlekeeper, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Would be nice to clean up a few of those subforums. A graveyard is better than deletion, I suppose.

+1 from me.

3. Masterjoc

Masterjoc
    Expand Collapse

Good idea, so the users got a better overview about all mods.
    Now you dont know what is released, beta, wip, etc. or already dead.

4. Rizor.org

Rizor.org
    Expand Collapse

Sounds good! +1

5. Commando11

Commando11
    Expand Collapse

I have to agree with that.

6. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

+1

On hold and canceled can get their own sub section. WIP can stay with released? Or would WIP be moved as well?

I'd be motivated to make my mods a 100% finished product if it meant having a home in the main section. Perhaps this is a good idea for general project motivation.

7. Club1n

Club1n
    Expand Collapse

[Content Deleted]

#7 Club1n, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  8. Rizor.org

Rizor.org
    Expand Collapse

Bump?

Does anyone from the dev team have an opinion on the subject?

9. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

i think the [WIP], [Cancelled] tags are there for this reason?

10. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

perhaps, but it's very cluttered and difficult to stay up to date with. i'm sure i'm not the only one who just checks this forum to see if anything cool has been released recently- and every time i check everything is all out of order. i don't want to have to read through WIP threads, they seem to just be getting cancelled anyways.

i think an additional category would be a good thing to separate 'showroom' stuff - works in progress - with downloadable, ready to drive cars.

edit: especially considering there are two identical forums to sift through.

#10 deject3d, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  11. Rizor.org

Rizor.org
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you.

The benefit from having [Released], [WIP] and [Cancelled] in different subforums is that everything will be much cleaner, I see Cancelled projects being bump'd up into the top all the time, if that was in its own subforum like an "archive", they could write all they wanted in those threads.

WIP would have its own so both moders and users can post their input on progress with the vehicle currently being worked on. And for those only interested in releases, they wouldnt have to scroll through endless threads to see if there is a download link, or on how far it is away..

They could just go straight to the Released forum, which can be combined with the other community showroom forum..

The process wouldnt be very hard to pull of, the user that has a WIP running could report their own post sending a message to the admin team to move the thread to the other subforums, released or cancelled..

12. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

Can you guys not read what he said?
    There's WIP and Cancelled tags... It says it in the thread title as soon as you open the forum, you don't even need to click on the thread?!
    4Iz23.png
    I don't need to click a single thing to see that the Kutch 2000LR is cancelled?!

I'm against this, because it just promotes the behaviour that has been here and the RoR forums for way too long: Users who just come here to get 'more shineys', basically like the underlined bit in the first post I quoted. That sort of behaviour... Sorry, to call you out on it like that, but personally, I find that very offensive behaviour. It's because those tend to be the people who get excited by the projects that have zero effort put into them, Forza meshes on barely modified Gabesters n/b's and such... (but maybe you're not like that at all, so no offense!)

If you put a vehicle on 'on hold', you'll forget about it, seen that happen more than projects actually getting restarted on their own. Then at some point someone comments if the thread-starer is ever gonna finish it, and more often than not, they think "Oh yeah! I totally forgot!', and they end up finishing the project. Same with WIP. Many authors get motivation by seeing encouraging comments in their threads(I've got the same).

If you start putting everything in seperate sections, 'noone'(exaggerated) will look/post there anymore because they just come here for the downloads, aka 'the shineys'. Especially if you put 'on hold' into a seperate forum, those will never get finished, most likely. WIP threads probably won't get much attention anymore either if you start putting it in a seperate subforum(which means a lot of them won't get finished!), and cancelled projects will not have any chance of ever being restarted/'uncancelled'.(I can think of a few projects that were cancelled here but might just be continued at some point, though I don't know for sure, so I won't name them).

If you guys are too lazy to just look at the red, orange, or green tag(that's all you need to see, really) before you click on a thread... Then... Well, you're just lazy. If you don't wanna read what users post in 'cancelled' project threads, then don't click on them? You can ignore them because they have a 'cancelled' tag.

I think it might even clutter the forum more when moderators start moving threads around all the time because the thread tag changes. Then other users will start making threads, asking where a thread for a certain vehicle went(or even where THEIR vehicle thread went), because they somehow can't think of clicking another subforum... It probably seems like I'm just calling every user stupid here, but you'd be suprised how many times threads like that were actually made on the Rigs of Rods forums. I think there were about 6 or 7 different threads asking about one particular car(Gavril GV), asking why it was cancelled because the original thread was archived/closed somewhere... Just an example.

13. Rizor.org

Rizor.org
    Expand Collapse

Looking at it from your point of view, I can see why you'd not want this, reading the tags has never been the problem, I just think it would be easier.. But after reading your opinion on the subject, I've changed my mind.. Keep as is.

I do understand the frustration of people just getting here for the shines, I've played a lot of games where you'd see half modded vehicles with errors here and there which never gets fixed because all people care about is getting a car that looks like something they have seen in real life, even though the car is full of error and doesn't even handle close to the real thing

I've been working on a mod here and its kinda frustrating to see that you get no feedback on the WIP thread, it makes you think that you should just go with a more popular car so people will reply to you. I can see that putting the WIP threads in their own subforum would probably lead to a lot of stranded threads.

I never played ROR so I don't know have stuff has been handled over there, nor the story about Beamng and ROR (Seems to be a lot of talking about it on the forums)

For the future; I imagine there will be a lot of cars in the years to come, maybe a sticky with links to the cars around the forum would be the best way for the users wanting some more content and still keeping the threads alive

14. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

And in six months when there are many threads of cars posted on pages very far back... you expect new users to go through every page and read threads to see if any sort of link was posted? Twice? (public showroom vs private showroom)

The majority of people just want to download a cool new car. I am not asking anyone to destroy the community surrounding the creation of cars.. that is a very important community. We just need a better organization to the system. It's probably best for all parties anyways: the people who just want new cars will probably not clutter the WIP threads with stupid posts.

15. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

There's a thing at the bottom of the pages now where you can set it to only display threads with the 'released' tag.

That should cover everything.

16. Candlekeeper

Candlekeeper
    Expand Collapse

(imported from here)
    ---------------------------------------------------------

(imported from here)
    ---------------------------------------------------------

(imported from here)
    --------------------------------------------------------

(imported from here)
    -------------------------------------------------------

This is a good compromise, thanks :)

17. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

Could there be a way for cancelled models to then be uploaded by the creator if they want, then another person can download and work on that project? this way the car still has a chance of possibly being finished. I just did that with my car, I decided to quite and I emailed the file to someone who volunteered to finish it, I since have decided to continue the project so now both of us are working on it..

It would be cool to have a community project type system where a creator can upload the project on some kind of shared license waver thingy and let anyone who wants to pick up on it and work on it, it would be like a team build thing. :D then they can upload there progress - add new ideas - vote off bad ideas - break off on there own and do there own thing.. it would be pretty cool! I don't think theres a forum that does that yet (maybe for good reason haha) but give it a try and if it gets out of hand cancel the system.

18. Rizor.org

Rizor.org
    Expand Collapse

You could use Dropbox for that, youd just give access to people that wanted to continue on it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

19. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to bump but I've been looking around and its getting cluttered in this section already. I think at the very least it would be nice to separate or delete cancelled projects. Because frankly, they're cancelled. Who cares? If I want to look at half finished models I'll go to SMCars or Polycount. I want to see vehicles in-game, whether there's a release or not. I do not care for prospective models that have been forgotten and nothing done with them.

A model that is nicely done and they're making a node/beam for it as we speak, fantastic
    A beta has been released, fantastic
    A full release, fantastic. I want to read all of those.

if its on hold, great. There's a chance it could go somewhere. Its still interesting. A model that is clearly not going to have anything done with it, the thread containing it is just clutter. Its not difficult to read around the red tags, but they're still clutter and quite annoying.

EDIT

Oh, I missed the last few posts. Sorry, my bad. Skim reading again.

20. smetherling

smetherling
    Expand Collapse

haha i just wanted to present this also on the forum.
    Because its anonnoying to see al those unfinished projects and 3 months later its a mess

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice