1. Thread posting restricted: Only the BeamNG team members can post new threads in this sub-forum in order to prevent spam. Posting is available on unlocked threads.

Micro Blog(s) - July 2015 to March 2016

Discussion in 'Microblogs' started by DrowsySam, Jul 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Don't worry, it's planned. It'll be properly sorted too.

• Like Like x 23
  2. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

Or having pictures for each part? It'll save a lot of time and possibly some framerate while at it.

I'm fine with it, but it just needs to be in alphabetical order.

3. MegaEpicDaniel 2

MegaEpicDaniel 2
    Expand Collapse

I have a suggestion When there's going to be rain, snow and sandstorms ?

4. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

Awesome, thanks for letting us know :)

This is why the BeamNG dev team is the best of all dev teams. What other developers would actually take the time to read & respond to fans/users/customers? Not only that, just how much the team spoils us. Sudden updates with a car we had only just learned was in game, amazing features, free updates, they always keep us informed on what is happening in development & best of all they have somehow managed to put up with me all these years. Best team & game ever.

• Like Like x 18
  5. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

The 'catalog' pages HadACoolName and gabester are talking about use pictures already.
    To be fair, the 'free updates' are because we purchased an early access game. EG we all knowingly picked up something that wasn't done yet. All the other things you listed are much appreciated of course, this dev team is very responsive and interacts well with the community!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

He is talking about changing the rims of a car in Parts Selector.

7. Teoman

Teoman
    Expand Collapse

Maybe they should add pics for the parts in vehicle selector for the rims etc.

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Or read the last few posts discussing just that...

• Like Like x 9
  9. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I think I misunderstood your post. While a hover-preview might be faster as things are structured and populated now, I suspect that when all is said and done... there will be many rims. With "many" rims a hover-to-preview mechanic and a text-list that's potentially longer than the screen height both become very cumbersome. That's where a catalog would shine IMO.

I think that the smartest money would be on a catalog for changing the rim and spindle at the same time. While the existing menus seem appropriate, they are also cumbersome for anyone simply trying to find a specific rim. The existing menus could all stay in in place as-is with the addition of a nearby button to open the "rim catalog". In the rim catalog it could indicate the lug pattern for each rim so that you'd know you were setting yourself up to change rim/hub/brake all at once. That potentially makes hunting for a rim much faster: hypothetically you would get a 4-by-X table of preview images of all rim types which could fit the vehicle.

Now if only rims were parametric. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Teoman

Teoman
    Expand Collapse

İ talk about all of the parts

11. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

more work on the tuning tab, units, percentages, categories

• Like Like x 13
  12. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

Currently, when "Live updates" is turned on, it reloads the car after each digit entered. It would be better if it waited for you to confirm your entry (Maybe by pressing enter?).

13. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

are we ever going to be able to play with the ecu in modern cars or would that feature be too hard to add.

or even be able to tune the gear ratios.

• Like Like x 1
  14. speednsnake

speednsnake
    Expand Collapse

Great work on the tuning guys. This feature blew me away when I saw it and totally caught me by surprise considering its dependance on small precise jbeam changes.

I have a question on the use of percentages for the wheel tuning. Is there a conjecture on the use and range of percentages for these parameters, and if so, what exactly would a "45%" camber or "10%" toe in be (to pick something at random)? What are the maximum and minimum percentages?

Degrees seem like a much more logical unit for wheel alignment, as opposed to potentially ambiguous percentages. With the varying "limits" of acceptable wheel angles between vehicles (and even between indevidual axle planes of the same vehicle) percentages could be difficult to work with.

I also notice the lack of a "castor" setting, though I can see why you would omit it. Still might be cool to play with.

15. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

We are working on live alignment value readouts so that the effect of tuning changes can be directly measured, in degrees of camber, toe, etc. The nature of the way our physics works means there is no way to just have a certain adjustment unit correspond directly to degrees of toe in, for example. We are physically changing the length of the tie rod, as you would in a real car, and all the geometry of the suspension works affects the end result. The adjustment value is more akin to "how many turns of the tie rod end thread" which really means nothing in terms of actual alignment, and is why computerized alignment measuring systems are used in shops. So basically, to do it right, we have to emulate the method of adjustment and the method of measurement ;)

• Like Like x 7
  16. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

More technical stuff for you! I've been working on a new tire tester. The old one was pretty simple and could only change and measure one variable at a time by changing out parts. It would take me hours to get a tire to a somewhat optimized state. It was a big challenge with the new tester to design the nb structure to able to move and measure things in all directions with accuracy. Lots of slidenodes! This new tester should lead help bring the tire model to the next level, but now that it gives me so much information, I have to work on new techniques to manage and visualize it all.

Some advancements:
    Directly reads forces from the physics core instead of through FFB code - outputs raw force data at for every frame instead of smoothed data from the FFB system
    Runs automated test sequences
    Tests multiple wheels at once, with individual control of speed, load, camber, and steer angle for each tire
    Can simultaneously measure tire Fx, Fy, Fz, and Mz for each tire
    Continuously varies steer angle rather than stepping through a set of angles
    Uses the new universal wheel/tire system to test and modify the exact tires being used on the vehicles, rather than copied and pasted versions

Soooper exciting pic :rolleyes:

screenshot_00249.jpg

• Like Like x 25
  17. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Awesome stuff Goosah. The difference your work has made so far is tangible in many
    ways! I can only imagine what this will be like in another years time:cool:. Hell, even now
    I'm curious how the current BeamNG tire model stacks up against the big boys.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

• Like Like x 8
  19. acynder

acynder
    Expand Collapse

Thanks!
    But now you need to make a tutorial for how to add "X" wheel to a menu selector, for example.
    screenshot_00000.png
    I want to add the Front Heavy Duty Wheel a selectable wheel for the Rear 8 Lug Hub. How I do that? I have 0 experience in this

20. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

65 tires testing at once!
    screenshot_00258.jpg

The ones in the lead travel faster and start to leave some smoke and rubber behind
    screenshot_00259.jpg

• Like Like x 18
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice